Hunter Moving to Idaho?

Jesse Minish

Lil-Rokslider
She would have no problem finding a job as an RN. Living in CDA you could work there or Spokane. Winters are not bad and summers are nice. As far as hunting and wolves. I dont think it is as bad as some make it out to be but certainly not as good as it used to be at least where I hunt.

ChukarUp

FNG
I'm not from CDA, but northern Nevada is experiencing the same thing. Growth is crazy and it is lots of Californians that bring CA driving habits and CA attitudes with them. They move to Nevada for the favorable tax structure then vote for the politicians and policies that jeopardize all the reasons they moved here. It's frustrating.

Again not from CDA, but being in a similar situation I think you will be fine if you are polite and courteous, and don't bring a "I know more than you, because I'm from Michigan" attitude, like a lot of Californians do.

I recently had a new neighbor move in from CA. When I first met him I had to endure a 30 minute rant about how bad things are in CA... as if us Nevadans aren't aware of this. I asked him if he had winterized his sprinklers yet. Even though Californians know everything he did not know what this meant. Being a nice neighbor, I offered to help. He declined. The next spring he had to replace almost his entire irrigation system. Must have cost thousands. All I could do was shake my head and offer to help the next fall.

Sorry that was kind of a side story for entertainment purposes. Be polite, and respectful, and I imagine you will adapt and fit in just fine.

Broomd

WKR
It has become a real mess up here with the influx of people moving here. The population has quadrupled in the last 10 years. Hunting and outdoor activities has become madness with the mountains crawling with people year round. Hunting is ten fold nowhere near what it used to be due to wolves and thousands of new otc hunters and game numbers have plummeted in return. Winters are pretty harsh and it snows from November through April most years. I’ve lived here all my life and am about to move elsewhere. People get caught up in the beauty of the area, but it is quickly fading to overwhelming grid lock traffic and subdivisions going in everywhere. Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but it’s probably not what you are hoping for. 15 years ago it was a quiet little town but now it’s full of Californian plates and liberals coming in droves.
I wouldn't say that it's that dire, but with Idaho's newly crowned "fastest growing state" title for 2017, it's increasingly tough. Some of us aren't sharing anything about where we live, hunt, fish, berry pick, camp, hike, etc. etc. etc. No disrespect intended.
The guys here that do share here and expect to enjoy the place that we all know and enjoy are out of their minds.
Never expected to see things explode like they have but we better take heed. Our 'neighborhood' (few and far between with acreage and woods around here) has been coordinating to deal with it by actively posting everywhere. to me that's a real shame, but the end result of the mass influx of people and many who don't g.a.s. a about private property, fences or gates.
I'll be happy to help the OP on the side of the road with his flat tire, so it's no disrespect to those wanting 'in', but you'll have to get info from someone else.

An aside, we had a wealthy Californian come into the area with his family abut 3 years ago. Bought up 200 acres of seriously prime deer and elk country. He doesn't hunt and posted it, and he served all surrounding neighbors with certified NO TRESPASSING letters. It was shcking, no one had ever heard of such a thing around here.
The funny thing was that the immediate neighbor near there (he has 80 acres) is the finest guy I know, he'll do anything to help anyone. He was shocked to see his new California neighbor do that, but it is harbinger of things to come. And my neighbor lost his best tree stand spots! lol...talk about irony. The good thing is that those lib-assed Cali's will probably help game in the long run. Deer and elk can care less about his fences and parameters but they will have a refuge.
Our place is about a mile down the ridge....

mtmuley

WKR
I'm not from CDA, but northern Nevada is experiencing the same thing. Growth is crazy and it is lots of Californians that bring CA driving habits and CA attitudes with them. They move to Nevada for the favorable tax structure then vote for the politicians and policies that jeopardize all the reasons they moved here. It's frustrating.

Again not from CDA, but being in a similar situation I think you will be fine if you are polite and courteous, and don't bring a "I know more than you, because I'm from Michigan" attitude, like a lot of Californians do.

I recently had a new neighbor move in from CA. When I first met him I had to endure a 30 minute rant about how bad things are in CA... as if us Nevadans aren't aware of this. I asked him if he had winterized his sprinklers yet. Even though Californians know everything he did not know what this meant. Being a nice neighbor, I offered to help. He declined. The next spring he had to replace almost his entire irrigation system. Must have cost thousands. All I could do was shake my head and offer to help the next fall.

Sorry that was kind of a side story for entertainment purposes. Be polite, and respectful, and I imagine you will adapt and fit in just fine.
I moved to Carson City in 1988 for work. Left in 1999. It was bad then. Back home in Montana. mtmuley

Broomd

WKR
Hey Guys,

So my wife and I are thinking about moving to Idaho ...

By the way..you read like a good guy.
Whatever you decide, remember that you have to deal with the influx of newcomers yourself!
If you are in MI, consider heading northwest to Watersmeet. Great country, great deer hunting, fishing....all a guy could ever want and privacy too. I spent lots of time there...could enjoy life there. Must have a snow machine though!..

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, thanks for all the replies guys. I appreciate the insight, both encouraging and the warnings. For those not willing to share I understand, it hard enough to find a good place to settle down without sharing it and bringing everyone and over populating it. Sounds like things are changing out there in ways some of you aren't fans of. My wife and I are still interested in checking things out and might take a trip out there this spring to look things over. Thanks again for all the replies, if anyone else has anything to add I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Tom

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I asked about moving to Idaho a few months back. Instead of Californians, I was warned about a certain religious group lmao.

Here in Texas all the Californians have moved to the central part of the state and ruined it pretty much. (Not like we had much to offer before hand). That being said if people are moving to a place then there must be a reason. I'm sure being the midwesterner amongst the Californians, people will see you as a diamond in the rough. Plus that just means if you buy a house, its value should go up in a short time.

They always say the public land is getting crowded but I'm willing to bet it's leaps and bounds better than what can be had in michegan.

Tbh I'm kinda jealous that you might move there. It's a dream of mine to settle down in the potato state, and had that job offered me enough money for me to drag my girlfriend, I probably would have moved back in August.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

johnsd16

WKR
I just moved to CDA from MN this summer. I am in healthcare. There is a good hospital in CDA and also many in Spokane. My area may be looking for RNs again in a few months but the system as a whole is always hiring. The winter has been a joke so far compared to Mn. It just isn't that cold and it's not windy down low. It snows and it's the heavy stuff but the deep freeze doesn't seem to happen (not yet). There is a lot to do but you can tell the area has grown too fast. The roads and layout are not set up for the volume of people. The Costco in CDA on its best day is still 5x as busy as as the Costco in our last town in MN on its worst day. There is a ton to do though, fishing, hunting, boating, hiking, skiing, its all there and I can't imagine how amazing it was 10 years ago with so many fewer people. I really like it, but I do truly feel for the locals that used to have all that without all the new transplants. The area is still growing fast and it is a lot from California. Some are all the bad stuff you think about with California and others are ok/cool, but I share the worry that things will end up like Missoula or other left take overs. I loved leaving MN for that too. You will just have to get out and find your own places to hunt. It will be a process. I also figure I'd rather see people moving from MN, WI, MI, etc than CA, AZ, etc. Every house a midwesterner buys is one a Californian didn't. Feel free to PM me about the area or jobs.

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
I don't live in Idaho, but have been to CDA probably a doz. times. The town is awesome and there is a lot of hunting and fishing opportunities. Good luck!

CDA is a beautiful area with lots of opportunity. I have several friends from there, and I look forward to fishing up there anually. As far as hunting goes, you would be best served to find an area quite a ways from CDA to hunt. There's a ton of new people around there that hunt, plus there's a huge influx of folks from Washington that hunt the CDA area ad well. All in all I think it'd be a great place to live.

Jon Boy

WKR
Its the same story any where you go in popular western state towns. Bozeman, missoula, Boise, fort collins, cody etc etc lots of growth and influx of people. I wouldn't let it deter you.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Moved out here 3years ago, been gone for one of those but it has gone straight nutty with sprawl in the short time since ive been here. Cant imagine how great it was 10 or more years ago. We will certainly not be buying or building in CDA, i didnt move to ID to be listening to my neighbors argue. That being said, theres nowhere else (regionally) that i wanna live. Myself and my girlfriend are both in the medical field, and salaries are lower in idaho. Best case scenario is commuting into spokane from your own private paradise. I commute 50 mins now, but its so worth it. The hunting and fishing are awesome if you are willing to burn the calories, the animals hate pressure and if you can reach places few others go, you will be in meat. Like someone else said, id rather see a midwesterner who enjoys the outdoors move here rather than some asshat from cali. Shoot me pm as things get closer. May have some hospital or location advice that could help.
Merry xmas!

coop2424

WKR
I agree with Downeaster above. Commuting into cda or spokane is the way to go. It is nuts seeing the growth that is currently happening. I am about 25min from cda and it is getting crazy busy out here. I still love the area I just see in the future most likely moving further north.

SWOHTR

WKR
Oh man the xenophobia some people express!

I’m from WI, moved here from CA, and live in Moscow, just south of CDA.
Winter: nothing you haven’t experienced, except western states don’t plow like eastern states.
People: they’re here, hike further.

You can have “my spot” in the state, I am moving next year (Navy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome info guys, thanks again for the responses. Sounds like CDA is really growing. My wife and I are planning a trip to Idaho over spring break to check out Boise and CDA as well as visit some friends in Colorado. Idaho seems like a really great place, and we're looking to get away from Michigan for awhile. Thanks again all for the response and PM's, feel free to keep it up if so inclined!

SWOHTR

WKR
Awesome info guys, thanks again for the responses. Sounds like CDA is really growing. My wife and I are planning a trip to Idaho over spring break to check out Boise and CDA as well as visit some friends in Colorado. Idaho seems like a really great place, and we're looking to get away from Michigan for awhile. Thanks again all for the response and PM's, feel free to keep it up if so inclined!

You’ll love Idaho. I do, it’s my favorite spot to have lived!

brewer427

WKR
Oh man the xenophobia some people express!

I’m from WI, moved here from CA, and live in Moscow, just south of CDA.
Winter: nothing you haven’t experienced, except western states don’t plow like eastern states.
People: they’re here, hike further.

You can have “my spot” in the state, I am moving next year (Navy).

Well if what has happened in the past and is currently happening in Colorado over the years with hunting seasons being shut down and a huge influx of anti hunters, many from California, is any indication of what is going to happen in the other western states I say a hint of xenophobia is warranted. Born and raised in Montana and the fact that last year we had to defend trapping and fight against I-177 definitely scares the crap out of me and is a clear indication that times are changing. I also feel that when someone lives their whole life in an area and grows up with a small town feeling then has to start dealing with a large influx of people in a relatively short time period that start causing things to be different then they previously were for said person also warrants some since of xenophobia.

Nothing against out of staters moving in, but if your going to another state I feel you should have to assimilate with the locals and how they’ve been living for a long time, and some people do, but with the recent grizz ban in BC, the bear and lion bans in many western states and an overall negative view towards hunting starting to get more prevelant and present in the Rocky Mountain states I am starting to turn into a xenophobe more and more with each passing year...

Graves14

WKR
Whenever I see warnings like this it makes me wonder if it’s all relative. I’m leaving inNune for a 2 month road trip through the west. At the end my wife and I will choose a place that best fits our needs and plant some roots. Coming from CT I feel that even the most crowded city in ID will feel like an improvement.

I also hear that the influx of people are making real estate unaffordable. That is also relative. Where I’m moving from a 20 year old 3 bedroom house will cost you 400k and the state will charge you another 8-10k per year for the pleasure of owning it.

OP, gl with your move and maybe I’ll see you out there in June/July lol