Game warden infield checks

2ski

WKR
Every hunters safety class taught in bozeman has a game warden come speak to it. And it's always asked of the adults in the room how many times have you been checked by a game warden IN FIELD. Not at a game check Station. Not for a fishing license on the water. Usually its very few. The point is made that it's not up to the game warden to make sure you are doing it right and that this class may be the only time you ever run into a game warden, ect.

How many times have you actually run into a game warden while in the process of hunting? I was reading something this morning and it got me wondering how many in out community here of rokslide have been checked.

Myself once. Benton lake. He checked me and my dad for steel shot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
Once, grouse hunting. In 20+ years of hunting in MT. Multiple seasons per year all over the state.

4 times in Nevada and 3 times in California. One of the Cali times it was a federal wildlife marshal. I had 2 sooty grouse in the back of a SxS and he grabbed one and asked what it was. So I said Hungarian whistling ptarmigan. He said cool, checked my license and told me to slow it down and left...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Having hunted in more than a dozen states over many years I have only been asked for a license while I was guiding in Wyoming and was asked 3 different times/years for my hunter and I to show our licenses.

Rs3003

WKR
I've been checked several times at the parking lot or while on logging roads, but never in the woods. I hunt in Pennsylvania.

I haven’t had my license checked in 20 years. But it was no problem then. I have talked to some game wardens in the last few years but they never asked for a license I look a lot more responsible now then I did back in my early 20’s.

Never been checked in the field in Idaho except for grouse and waterfowl. Unless I was guiding. Then every time I saw F&G they would check my hunters and I. Same Fish cop checked me 6 times in one archery season. Am I mad about it? Absolutely not, I wish everyone would get checked more often.

I’ve been checked on the road by a warden in each of the last two seasons. He’s a nice guy, has a lot of ground to cover. It’s a shame they have to work solo.

ShawnStonefly

Lil-Rokslider
Opening day duck season would say almost every year, checking for lead and plugs.

Archery Elk I've had the warden post up in the parking lot of some places on the weekend and check tags there.

I have only been checked in two states, but it has been multiple times in each. Six times in NC, one when the game warden didn't even know which county we were in. Three times in CO, none of the times in CO did the warden ask to see the actual license they just asked for my hunters safety card......none even asked what I was hunting for.

dotman

WKR
Never been checked in CO and have talked to the GW a few times, he did check my buddy while we were chatting as he had a question about his resident tags. It was kind of funny cause I’m the NR and I even asked if he wanted mine and he said naw you are fine, lol. He’s a good guy and I agree he has to cover way too much country. In MT I was checked once when I was younger, again, from what I remember he was a nice guy as well.

hodgeman

WKR
I've been checked a half dozen times in AK. Once while duck hunting, once while grouse hunting and four times while caribou hunting.

Mixture of Federal Rangers and State Wildlife Troopers, never had an issue- the crew that works my area are a bunch of pros.

So many times I lost count, but this all happened on a dirt road on the way back to camp, at the truck, or at a base camp.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Twice during the fall and once in the spring for bear. All three were while we were on logging roads. Not many wardens for the amount of ground they have to cover

530Chukar

WKR
At least a dozen times in California. One time in MT. And about once every time I go to Colorado. Each time has been while on the road or while in camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk