Grand Junction Co

I was offered a position in Grand Junction Co. I know the hunting is great in the state, but I’m more concerned with the grand junction area. I’ll be making around 60-65k a year for reference. Any info about the area, experiences, and such would be much appreciated. Thanks.

amp713

WKR
I live over the book cliff range from junction. It's not a bad place from when I visit and from friends that have lived there. I can say that there is plenty of places to hunt close by, good areas to shed hunt, close to some really awesome places like Moab Utah and some of the state/national parks. I'm sure someone can give better info about living there but I've enjoyed the area and spent time down there for concerts and visiting friends

svivian

WKR
There's not a lot to do in gj but there's a lot to do if that makes sense. For Social life there is nothing really here... not a lot of places to take the kids. Now if you like to ski, mountain bike, hike, fish, off-road, raft... pretty much anything you can think outdoors is available to do within an hour of town. Fishing is great, three hours from Powell, two hours from gold medal rivers. The grand Mesa is in your backyard and has 300 lakes to choose from. Also a nice place in the summer to get away from the heat. When it's 100 in gj it's about 75 on the Mesa. Hunting is also very good. Drive 45 minutes in any direction and you can hunt elk in an otc unit. Also we have two draw units in our backyard which if you like to shed hunt can be a blast finding monster sheds. Also the airport is nice if you travel a lot. Shopping wise it's not bad. We have every store you could possibly need. There's probably 20 places to buy a gun in this town and that's not an exaggeration. Bow shops here though are terrible... there's one local guy with a press I trust with my bow. Though our pro shop is trading hands so service might be better hopefully. I probably missed a bunch of other stuff but any questions pm me. I was born and raised on the Mesa and now live in gj so I'm quite familiar with the area.

svivian covers it. I grew up there and graduated high school in Fruita, just outside of GJ. If you like to hunt and fish it's a pretty good city to live in. Not much traffic. As stated the Mesa, Glade Park, and the Uncompahgre Plateau are all nice places if you love the outdoors!

ShawnStonefly

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't lived there personally but visited alot for work and fun. Svivan is on point.

Their regional airport is one of the better smaller ones I've used. The drive to Denver isn't bad most of the time. Winter and ski season can turn it into a painful one.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Coming from humboldt you’ll feel right at home with all the homeless people. Weather is a lot like Redding in the summer...hot! Very little snow in GJ during the winter. Great hiking and mountain bike trails. Golf too...minus the heat!! Schools are tough...

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coming from humboldt you’ll feel right at home with all the homeless people. Weather is a lot like Redding in the summer...hot! Very little snow in GJ during the winter. Great hiking and mountain bike trails. Golf too...minus the heat!! Schools are tough...
What do you mean "schools are tough"?

Live2hunt custom shelters

My wife & I have been living here for the last 11 years now, we like it here for most all the reasons that svivian has stated. Hot dry summers and mild winters with very small amounts of snow fall. Only problem with winters here are the inversions that set in for long periods of time, you can get 2" of snow and then it wont melt off. The cost of living isn't bad, the housing market took a hit several years ago and is now picking up again. Low crime rate, have no idea about the school system, the airport is very good, I fly just about every week. You can PM me for more info Bill

elkduds

WKR
To add to what has been posted: Great local produce (fruit!) in summer/fall. Nice pedestrian downtown area. Ditto in Fruita and Palisade. Good college in GJ ("university"). Fruita has a nice community recreation center w pool, courts, library, etc. Conservative, drill-friendly politics. 2 pretty good hospitals. Lots of retirees. Cool public radio station. Cool local ski area 45 min away, Powderhorn. Day trips to Moab, Ouray, Glenwood, Black Canyon NP, etc. Huge BLM area for offroading, includes shooting range. Long growing season for gardeners. Relatively cheap real estate/cost of living. world class mtn biking trail system. GMUs 40, 61 right next door. Desert bighorn sheep. Moose. Pronghorn. Pablo's Pizza.