Blood Tracking Lights: Best in the Business

thaechten

FNG
I've spent hundreds of dollars on blood tracking lights, trying to find a good one I can rely on. Here recently I found a good one that is well worth the money for the quality and all the features it comes with. Coming in at only $34.99, the Outrigger Outdoors Blood hound Blood Tracking light is the best I've found so far. It has two modes: blood tracking mode and illumination mode. It also has a flood/zoom feature where it can light up a nearby large area as well as zoom in to shine over 100 yards. You can get them here:Blood Hound Blood Tracking Light

– Outrigger Outdoors

Has anyone else had good luck with any blood tracking lights? I've got quite the collection currently and would like to hear other peoples opinions. I hope this thread will help prevent someone like me from wasting a bunch of money on junk!!

List your lights here!

boom

WKR
i use the grandaddy of lights. :D

index.jpg

i typically wait until the next morning.

dtrkyman

WKR
I bought a zebra headlamp for it, works well but always wait for the sun when in doubt!

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I'm of the opinion my zebralight h602 floody with a neutral tint is pretty much the same as the sun. I can't see a couple hundred yards with it but for the distances I'm looking for blood it's a wall of daylight.

Scrappy

WKR
I've never felt the need for a special light to track with. I just use my blackdiomond head lamp that I have in my pack. Is there some extra benefit from having a special light?

KMT

WKR
I use whatever headlamp that I happen to own at the time. For the last 5 years, a $30 Black Diamond.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
A friend turned me onto Zebra lights. It is also great for mountain biking. I had to ride out in the dark with a final hind quarter on Friday and wouldn't have felt comfortable doing it with any other light I've ever owned. Just make sure you have a backup battery if you are running it at full brightness.

OP
T

thaechten

FNG
I've never felt the need for a special light to track with. I just use my blackdiomond head lamp that I have in my pack. Is there some extra benefit from having a special light?

Some of the new lights on the market are designed with the sole intent of blood tracking. So they use different types of LED chips, filters, sprays, etc. to try to make blood pop out on the trail. Humans are always focused on using their brain to make things easier lol.

Per the comments on the zebra light - I've never heard of these, are they just a high powered flashlight?

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Per the comments on the zebra light - I've never heard of these, are they just a high powered flashlight?

Yes. I believe my headlamp is ~1,100 lumens. For comparison my black diamond is around 350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Some of the new lights on the market are designed with the sole intent of blood tracking. So they use different types of LED chips, filters, sprays, etc. to try to make blood pop out on the trail. Humans are always focused on using their brain to make things easier lol.

Yes, they are just lights. I've never had much faith in blood tracking lights, do they really work????

Yes, they are just lights. I've never had much faith in blood tracking lights, do they really work????

No. They don’t. Lol.

A big part of my job is recovering wounded game. Believe me, there’s NO product I haven’t tried at one time or another. There are only 2 things that actually work - a good white light that will outlast your motivation and a good dog’s nose! I wish there was. I’ve even tried luminol and a blacklight (think CSI) and nothing beats my eyes and a white light or one of my tracking dogs’ noses.

Like this one of mine......

6502293826860c75467277d854503021.jpg

OP
T

thaechten

FNG
No. They don’t. Lol.

A big part of my job is recovering wounded game. Believe me, there’s NO product I haven’t tried at one time or another. There are only 2 things that actually work - a good white light that will outlast your motivation and a good dog’s nose! I wish there was. I’ve even tried luminol and a blacklight (think CSI) and nothing beats my eyes and a white light or one of my tracking dogs’ noses.

Like this one of mine......

6502293826860c75467277d854503021.jpg

I don't know about the statement that they don't work, because I've had good luck with my most recent one. However, I will agree that you can't beat a dogs nose.

I'm kinda curious, is this a, hey I've tried this product and I like it, type of post, or is this an unsponsored ad. What I mean is most guys here will do a fact based review of a product that includes advantages/pluses and disadvantages/minuses, rather than a reasonless based opinion???

I have never tried one. Like others have posted, I back out and leave some flagging at dark:30.
I can see how they could
be valuable in warmer climates,like looking for an Arizona or New Mexico bull.

T.R.

FNG
I’ve used that outrigger light and yes they do work better in warmer climates. It doesn’t do as well on dried up blood, but it follows fresh blood pretty well. I would think a flash light would work good if you’re on snow. I mean everything is white lol

OP
T

thaechten

FNG
I'm kinda curious, is this a, hey I've tried this product and I like it, type of post, or is this an unsponsored ad. What I mean is most guys here will do a fact based review of a product that includes advantages/pluses and disadvantages/minuses, rather than a reasonless based opinion???

More of a “hey I found something that works, what do you guys use that works?” post. Appreciate your feedback next time I will go into more detail if I decide to do another product review.

More of a “hey I found something that works, what do you guys use that works?” post. Appreciate your feedback next time I will go into more detail if I decide to do another product review.

thaechten, not to bust your balls, but they guys on this site (including myself) are very critical with gear. We want to know specifics, see plenty of pictures in action, fully understand the pros and cons of an item, what you like about them, and what you don't, materials, quality, durability...