Matter of opinion, using a custom knife

Looking for opinions on whether I should actually use this knife or not. I’m not a huge fan of safe queens whether it’s guns or knives. This is a limited run knife from Orvis made by Daniel Winkler. My dad got it from his late partner in the early 2000’s as a gift and never used it. He gave it to me last year for Christmas. I could keep it in the safe and pass it down to one of my kids one day but I also could use the snot out of it and pass it on with some serious sentimental value and memories attached to it. Is this knife too valuable to use or should I start using it with gusto and create some awesome memories with it? Truly I could do either and be perfectly content so just wanted some opinions.

b235e4e40278ff7a270137379ae9b5ef.jpg

87544ba66c6f458d37838c5638d67c2b.jpg

4aab27cb78eb2786b487b17f11eda680.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would use it! It just screams to be used. That's what is was made for. It will also be an awesome hand-down gift to family.

I have a friend who's father worked at Cooper Arms. His father surprised his son, my friend, with a very special .280 Remington. It has never hunted and probably has only 20 rounds through it at paper targets. Yes it is a beautiful rifle and a person would hate to scratch or ding it, but man that thing needs to be taken out and used on an antelope, deer, elk!

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like tools that I can use. For me I wouldn't use that knife just because it's not a knife I would use much from a funtionality standpoint. Whereas a $5k custom rifle with a Tigerwood Maple stock would have great function, but I wouldn't use it much because of the stock.

dotman

WKR
Any tool you don’t use is worthless, give that knife some more character! Good looking knife!

elkguide

WKR
Depends totally on how it fits/feels in your hand.

I love rifles and handguns and own quite a few but could never be a collector because the first thing that I do when a new one appears is to take it out and shoot it. If it shoots well, it stays because "only accurate guns are interesting." I also have a thing for knives and own a lot. I have two that would have been worth a serious amount of money had they not been used BUT they both fit my hand so well and make me smile when I draw one to gut an animal with them.

Totally your call but my criteria of fit and feel is where I come down.

OP
LIWolverine
Fit and feel is amazing! I look at it almost exactly how y’all do. I have a custom sako finbear that was handed down to me. I was in the same boat. Should I hunt it or keep it in the safe. I decided to make memories with it. Killed my two biggest deer of my hunting career with it this year. I think the knife needs to follow suit. Thanks for the opinions!
7028a1d6700f5ae207392b95644cc059.jpg
a520ba915d08d9b431d676dbadacfbe8.jpg

boom

WKR
if the steel is good; and it fit my hand..i would use it. maybe not for gutting a hog that you shot out of a mud-hole..but a deer..why not?. i love a fancy knife with a nice patina.

it felt good making that first cut with my brand new custom knife..i did bypass the muddy hog tho. :)

boom

WKR
beautiful knife!! btw.

is it super sharp? admittedly, i like the knife better than the sheath.

wytx

WKR
Use it. I have several custom knives and the maker specifically told me he would love to see them used and asks every time we see him if I have used them all yet.

OP
LIWolverine
beautiful knife!! btw.

is it super sharp? admittedly, i like the knife better than the sheath.

Actually it was not super sharp out of the box. I got it there pretty quick though. Took an edge like a good knife should.

I am not an expert but I think that was a fairly limited run. $1500 retail. Probably a lot more now for the right collector. Dan is doing a lot less handforging these days from what I gather.

I have a Winkler 2 production knife. I love it and carry it nearly every trip. It has got deer and cleaned birds. I used it to chop down a small tree a week ago. At $300 it is expensive, probably my most expensive knife, but not so much that Won’t use it.

If you would never consider selling it then use it away. It will only add to the sentimental value. If you ever wanted to sell it then using it will take a big bite out of value. Just a thought, but you could sell it and buy all your kids Winkler 2s, maybe your grandkids too.

Either way, enjoy.

OP
LIWolverine
I am not an expert but I think that was a fairly limited run. $1500 retail. Probably a lot more now for the right collector. Dan is doing a lot less handforging these days from what I gather.

I have a Winkler 2 production knife. I love it and carry it nearly every trip. It has got deer and cleaned birds. I used it to chop down a small tree a week ago. At $300 it is expensive, probably my most expensive knife, but not so much that Won’t use it.

If you would never consider selling it then use it away. It will only add to the sentimental value. If you ever wanted to sell it then using it will take a big bite out of value. Just a thought, but you could sell it and buy all your kids Winkler 2s, maybe your grandkids too.

Either way, enjoy.

Very good info to know. I honestly would never have the mind to sell it. It was about $700 new from Orvis. Still have the invoice with it.

Lawnboi

WKR
If it's a quality made knife, it should handle cutting meat like nothing.

Iv got a hand full of customs, all bought to be users. I do take a bit better care of them.

Shraggs

WKR
i too have over a hundred nice knives, customs and highly regarded semi production knives, i.e. bark river. I use nearly all of them - thats why i bought them. a great knife adds to the success of a hunt for me! sounds like your skilled in sharpening and with careful use of that knife it will hold its value to someone who wants a winkler.

i do have a couple that i have not used, 2 unused marbles because they are worth more than i paid. but they don't carry any sentimental value and i will part with them to by others that i will use.

Like Shraggs was saying, that knife will hold its value for pretty much ever, and with careful use, actually should increase in value over time, as there simply aren't many of them being made anymore if at all. Mr. Winkler stopped taking handforged orders back in roughly 2007, as his wait time exceeded about 7 years at the time. He made several of the knives and tomahawks for the film Last of the Mohicans, including the iconic Magua tomahawk. His partner/wife Karen makes the sheaths herself, and they are works of art completely separate from the artistry of the knife. You have a sterling example of an ABS Mastersmith's work on your hands, and I know from personal experience that Mr. Winkler would tell you to use it. You will not meet a nicer human being than Daniel Winkler, and he will take care of you should anything happen.

Use it! I have one custom made knife that a college friend of mine made me when his business was in its fledgling stages. He used reclaimed steel from a local saw mill and some cherry wood for the handle from my own property. Its a beautiful knife and at first I hated to use it. Then I realized that a knife is a tool and pulled it out of my safe and began using it. It stays on my belt for every hunting trip and has broken down many animals. Cool thing about the knife is my buddies business is now booming, and I have one of the first knives he ever made. His current backlog is 40 months so I hope nothing happens to the knife he made me.

I only have one knife I wont use and that is my great grandfathers Case trapper. He gave it to me when I was 7. I lost the dang thing on a hunting trip about 15 years ago and then a friend found it a few years later behind the bunk bed of his hunting cabin. I put that knife away forever after that.