Generators

Take a hard look at this Champion. It will run your 13.5 BTU AC with no problem, it is quite, relatively light, and the price is right. Costco sells them for even cheaper I believe. I have had mine for over 4 years, I change the oil yearly and it starts and runs every time with zero issues. It is specifically made for the RV ad has at 30 amp plug in directly in the unit. It also has a Eco mode to conserve fuel when the big Watts are not needed. I turned all the friends I camp with onto the same Generator and non have had an issue with it.
Amazon.com : Champion 3100-Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator : Garden & Outdoor

Roy68

WKR
The predators are Honda Clones. I know a few guys that have them and like them. As far as longevity I cannot attest to the gen-set. But the small engines have been sound for me. I've replaced some AG pump engines with them, and abused the crap out of them without issue. I know several other Farmers/Ranchers that have done the same with great success. I'm not afraid of the engines

I manage to make it to a college football game once or twice a year and I've seen several of the Predator Inverter/Generators being used to power TV's, pellet Grills, and crock pots. Friends of mine that I tailgate with use a Yamaha brand.

Found these on Craigslist. Not sure how close they are to you. Wonder if you can parallel the Generac?

Generac IX2000 Inverter Generator - tools - by owner - sale

Generac iX2000 generator. Works perfectly, used for 4 hours. - tools - by owner - sale

Generac ix2000 generator used little - tools - by owner - sale

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
The predators are Honda Clones. I know a few guys that have them and like them. As far as longevity I cannot attest to the gen-set. But the small engines have been sound for me. I've replaced some AG pump engines with them, and abused the crap out of them without issue. I know several other Farmers/Ranchers that have done the same with great success. I'm not afraid of the engines

I manage to make it to a college football game once or twice a year and I've seen several of the Predator Inverter/Generators being used to power TV's, pellet Grills, and crock pots. Friends of mine that I tailgate with use a Yamaha brand.

Found these on Craigslist. Not sure how close they are to you. Wonder if you can parallel the Generac?

Generac IX2000 Inverter Generator - tools - by owner - sale

Generac iX2000 generator. Works perfectly, used for 4 hours. - tools - by owner - sale

Generac ix2000 generator used little - tools - by owner - sale
Good finds. They're all about 6 hrs away

Live2hunt custom shelters

I have two of the harbor freight Honda knock offs. I've used them for 3 years for camping and to run things like refrigerator and deep freezer when we have power outages. Used one in Colorado this year to power my uncles cpap and a few other items. My dad used one of harbor freight ones a few weeks ago when he was without power for 4 days. The generator ran for 4 straight days, he just kept giving it fuel. I've had no issues with either of mine. I just make sure I put non-ethanol gas in them. I can't remember what size they are and its 11 degrees right now so I don't feel like going to the shed to look. I use one when I go dry camping and it powers my camper which has a single AC unit just fine. I leave them portable so they can be used for other things besides the camper.

Mtnboy

WKR
I have a Champion Invertor model, it's designed for RVs. Paid about $600 for it at Costco. I didn't want dual fuel or remote start so it saved me about $150.

Happy with it so far, starts first pull every time, quiet enough for me.

Sure, Honda is the best but I can buy 4 of the ones I have for the price of 1 Honda.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
We had a 3500 watt knockoff for a couple years. It was loud and hard on fuel but I got it cheap. It could handle two of these three but you had to take your pick of AC, microwave or tv. It couldn't handle all three. About five years ago I picked up a used 6500 watt Honda for $400. It was about five years old at the time. It's quieter, way easier on fuel and will run everything in the rv without any issues. It idles up and down depending on load but it's obviously a lot heavier. If I put it in the truck by myself I usually tweak my back so I get the wife to help and it's not an issue.
Last summer we had a wind storm and our part of town was out of power for five days. I was out of the country working so I had my brother head over to turn our main off then plug the gen into the outlet in the garage and the wife had AC, tv and lights while the rest of the neighborhood was in the dark.
For my money I would find as big of gen as you think you'll ever need and don't be afraid to buy a used Honda or yammi vs a new knockoff.

rayporter

WKR
will the 2 linked 2000 w units run all night?

my step son works on generators and he says the champions are hit and miss. if you get a bat one it is a throw away. he cant get parts.
if you are lucky it will run like the energizer bunny.

it is not just the microwave that can shut the genny down. the coffee pot can too. it pulls a bunch of watts.

dotman

WKR
My Firman 3200 watt inverter easily will run all night. It is a little known brand but is one of the largest generators manufacturers in the world, they have only recently started selling in the US. It looks identical to the Champion and I wouldn’t doubt they aren’t the same. If I hadn’t gotten such a good deal through Costco I personally would have tried the HF 3500 watt inverter.

I had considered getting 2 2000watt units but that double the maintenance and isn’t as simple as using one unit, the 3000-3500watt inverters do not weigh a ton as they usually are only 95-100lbs. I would just get one unit in the 3000-3500watt range. Do not get a contractor metal frame generator, way too loud and if you camp in any campgrounds they usually have a dB limit that only an inverter type generator can meet. I’m not aware of any 6500watt inverter generators but no matter the brand one that size would be crazy expensive.

Amazon.com: Yamaha EF2800i, 2500 Running Watts/2800 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Generator: Garden & Outdoor
This is the generator I run. I have a 13k AC unit. It won't run the AC and the microwave at the same time, but its never an issue. I bought it used for $700 probably 5-6 years ago. Its not as quiet as the 2400 Yamaha or the 2000 Honda's, but it is not loud by any means. With DB ratings every 10 DB the sound literally doubles. I had a Coleman before this one and it was unbearably loud. I was "that guy" and got rid of it asap. Keep in mind there is a difference between a generator and one with an inverter. I feel that the Honda/Yamaha's are more expensive for a reason, but I do have some friends that have the Champion units and have been really happy with them.

Most 5th wheels have the front compartment to install a permanent gen and hard wire it directly.
If you go that route, use a ONAN 3500-5500 watt size.
That way you can run the air, mic and coffee pot at same time.
I originally installed a generac in mine, it last 2 years and crapped out.
I also had mine (Onan) ordered to run off propane so it uses the same tanks already on board, that way I don't have to haul extra cans of liguid petroleum.

The beauty of portable (non on board ) generators, is you can use them else where as well.

Some generators off remote start set ups, so you can just run wires thru a window and fire it up from inside.

If I were suggest a portable set up- Id say the 2 Hondas linked for sure.
This will run all day on one tank and be super queit, and will last longer than 10 years- mine are close 15 years old and running strong.

Mitsubishi makes a great 3500 w set up to
You can get by with a 2000 size, but no AC, and no tripling up on some appliances at same time.

dotman

WKR
Be careful of the Onan, they are expensive and known to be very unreliable. They need a lot of upkeep to stay running, friend of mine stopped using his onboard onan and just uses a portable inverter now.

Be careful of the Onan, they are expensive and known to be very unreliable. They need a lot of upkeep to stay running, friend of mine stopped using his onboard onan and just uses a portable inverter now.

Respectfully - Completely disagree with this. Being into Rv's for over 35 years, Onan is on the top of the quality list.

My 5th wheel Gen is now 11 yrs old and runs like new. I switched from Generac to Onan for the reliability. Having run every type of RV/Trailer there is for the past 35 years, Onan is the Gen of choice by the vast majority of RV owners who full time RV. Cant help ya if you barely use the RV/Gen and run improper gas. One of the biggest issues with any small engines in todays world is the gas you get from the stations. The Etanol is killing small engine fuel delivery systems.
DO NOT RUN ETHANOL ETANOL type fuels in your gen's, lawn mowers, chain saws. weed eaters etc.
The ethanol system dries up regulators and creates carb issues and on 4 strokes- valve issues.
The ONAN is a far superior gen than any other generator out there.

In my Diesel pusher I use the Onan 5500 diesel gen and it is now 17 yrs old and performs flawlessly.
But they are pricey.

I love my Honda Inverters for portability. But they too are pricey at $1000 ea. I will never worry about my Onans or my Hondas.

elkguide

WKR
Have used many different generators in the construction field over the years and have had good luck with Onan but best luck with Honda.
Currently using an 8500 that we've used for 7 years and it still starts as soon as you hit the switch, or third pull if you forget to shut off the switch. The only other possible factor in my lack of any issues is that I run only ethanol free, high octane fuel.

dotman

WKR
I haven’t personally used onan but I can say it’s 50/50 for being good when I talk to people.