Generators

Being in the RV industry I can say that Onan is at the top of the list for onboard gensets. Portables would be Honda then Yamaha.
The single biggest issue we see with any gas powered genset is not using them. LP, and diesel are a different story.

I just picked up a 5th wheel camper for multiple reasons, the primary being to take my family on more outings. My questiond is how much juice do I need to power a 32' camper with one A/C unit and are 2 small generators run parallel better than one larger one? Any brands you'd recommend other than ridiculously overpriced hondas?

Live2hunt custom shelters

I have over 700 hours on two Honda’s eu 2000. They have fuel pumps so you can buy extended run external tanks for them.

Any way, expensive? yes, but being I’ve killed three off- brand gas generators. I’d say they are worth the cost.

Only other travel generator I would buy is a kubota diesel lowboy.

Watts you need about 3000-4000k. My Hondas power a 15k ac in my trailer and a 8k window unit in my container

Last edited:
Being in the RV industry I can say that Onan is at the top of the list for onboard gensets. Portables would be Honda then Yamaha.
The single biggest issue we see with any gas powered genset is not using them. LP, and diesel are a different story.

Yep I agree. I went with Propane for convenience even though I loose some out put power at high altitude using propane, but I don't get the cylinder wash that a gasser gives.

I have a 7 gl tank (x2) and I can get about 2 weeks worth of morning, afternoon and evening time runs ( 1-2 hrs each use). Plus my fridge, hot water and heater all use it.

I like the permanent set ups in the camper, cause when the wife gets up and wants to start coffee, she doesn't have to go outside to do it- just hit the prime button, the fire it up. I also plumbed in a remote propane attachment to run the bigger 20 gl tanks for the whole summer.

MtnOyster

WKR
I just bought an echo bearcat 2000 on sale for $600, we cranked a Honda and ran them side by side, just as quiet for half the price, you can order a 2000 watt predator from harbor freight for $499, its just as quiet as the Honda, a friend has one and I'm kinda wishing id saved $100 and got the predator.

I bought a Champion 3100 inverter which works really well. I would prefer a Honda because they are not as loud. Mine is not loud but the Honda's are less loud. The Champion will run your rig at less $$$$$. Whatever you buy male sure it is an inverter and low db. With two eu2000"s you are not tied to using both but you have the extra power if you need it. Buy one and see how it goes then you can add a second if you need it. My 2 cents....

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay I'm about to desensitized myself to the sticker shock of the Hondas. Is there a reason why somebody would go with the eu2000i over the EU 2200? They seem to be the same price.

Just spend the money on two Honda EU2000 generators and a parallel kit and he done. Go enjoy your trailer and your family and the peace of mind you did it right the first time.

Yep. They are super quiet and bullet proof!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
I’ve not looked at the 2200s or seen one in person, but I have a Yamaha 2400 and have seen a lot of eu2000s. The 2400 is a lot larger, more bulky, just doesn’t fit in a lot of spots in the truck or camper and it is heavy. The 2000 to 2400 jump gets you the ability to run air conditioning very reliably. If air is a priority , I’d want to really know if there was any chance the 2200 will do it (it may very well). I wish I had a 2000 when I don’t need air, but I don’t want another one to deal with. Look at bulk and weight, there is a big difference between mine and a 2000, I’d want to know how the 2200 compares.

Broomd

WKR
I'm a big fan of the Yamaha and Honda gennies, but I opted for the Westinghouse 7500 and Westinghouse 2400 invertor for my needs.

$1250 all in for both, and zero complaints. The 7500 is always ready and it's housed in its own shed for whole-house outages, and the 2400 is for ranch projects and camping. Been using both for years with zero issues.
Money well spent/saved in my case.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 RV’s @ my hunt camp. They are 30 amp breakers for the AC.

I bought 10,000 peak, 8000 running watts for each RV.

Everything runs great except when you add the microwave to the grid while the AC is running. She gets a little testy and occasionally flips the breaker.

I paid $750 for the first generator and got the second for $500 ! Both delivered, brand new, from China . Had the first one since 2012 and the other since 2015. Change the oil often and use straight weight 30 in the colder months and straight weight 40 in the summer. Neither one likes straight weight 50.

It also isn’t a bad idea to use REC gas ⛽️ because when sitting, ethanol kills carburetors. I add SeaFoam every fill up too.

Just what works for me. May not be what you want. My gennys have wheels and cart around easy enough. I use a long cord to distance from the noise, which also loses a bit of power, but makes for more comfort sleeping @ night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcodyc40

Lil-Rokslider
I have 3 full years on a set of Ryobi 2200 gens run in parallel. They easily run my 15K AC and I have had no problems with them. They cost about half of the Hondas do and this is one of the reasons I picked them, the other is they fit in a convenient space in my 5th Wheel. Sometimes a single 3500 watt remote start would be really nice though.

Okay I'm about to desensitized myself to the sticker shock of the Hondas. Is there a reason why somebody would go with the eu2000i over the EU 2200? They seem to be the same price.

I have a couple of the 2000i and I believe that recognizes it as an "inverter" type generator. Thats what they told me when I purchased it 12 years ago. Safe for computers etc should a surge occur.
I have not seen the 2200. But for camping, I would get every out put power I could.

I’m usually a buy once cry once person but I bought my first camper about 4 years ago and I found a cheap generator on sale brand new for $250. I gotta say it’s been completely flawless and runs everything in my camper including the ac. I took it elk hunting in temperatures down to 0 degrees last December and no problems at all. It’s pretty heavy for 1 guy though. When it dies I’ll go with 2 Honda inverters ran tandem

Diesel

WKR
I know you are looking for a camper genny but this may help you decide. You may even want to consider the generator for home back-up insurance for power outages and emergencies. With all the concern about EMP and grid down scenarios, not to mention storms, it may provide some peace of mind for the wife and kids.

We have lived completely off grid for the past 12 years. All our power needs have been supplied by Honda and Yamaha generators. Both are 6500I's, are both quiet and have 15,000 hours run time each. I run Mobil One oil and change the plugs as needed. We produce natural gas on the property and run the yamaha unit off raw natural gas.

The honda is run on gasoline because we have been in building mode and it is used as a portable. The honda has been run entirely with 10% ethanol gas, but it never sits with gas unused. It starts with a key twist every time and has never had any other maintenance. The yamaha has had some issues a couple of times over the years and is now using oil. Put probably $400 in the yamaha in that time. Nothing in the honda.

The honda is better laid out for ease of maintenance than the yamaha. I love the honda and prefer it, but both have served us well. When we first started out we bought a generac used but never run. It made it less than a year before it threw a rod.

We also raise Golden Retrievers and use a honda 2000I for the kennel. It starts every time, is lite and relatively quiet.

The company I used to work for had about 30 honda 6500I's as they were considered the best for reliability and the guys were less than attentive with maintenance.

I have over 25 years using generators for work and home. For my money, it is a honda.

rlmmarine

WKR
Get the predator from harbor freight 650 on sale right now with 3500 watts. It will run everything, as quiet as a Honda and won't break the bank. If your worried about longevity by the extended warranty

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I talked myself into the Honda eu2200i and eu2200ic. I have 75 hours on them now and have no real complaints. They both start first pull and run my whole camper with no issues.

My question now is how do you guys secure them if the are running over night? Just chains or other methods?