Another bad example of non-resident hunters

Status
Not open for further replies.

PennDude

FNG
Slobs are slobs no matter where they reside. It's a shame that everybody doesn't have the common decency to do their best in leaving no trace. Don't let a few bad apples sully your opinion of all non-resident hunters. Look on the bright side, at least we supplement your wildlife agency with our $641 tags.

Lawnboi

WKR
There are hunters that give us a black eye everywhere dude, and it's not hard to find them unfortunately. Pressure is increasing everywhere.

Calling it a NR problem is bullcrap.

All NR should pay now because of what you have seen by a few groups. Res want The state to crack down due to whiny residents (though you have some valid arguements) and limiting tags based on emotion.

Seeing all these threads pop up I'm worried about my oppritunity going away, to do diy public land hunts. I see it happening. By the time I retire I hope I can enjoy the oppritunity I have today but I highly doubt that will be the case. You won't see me pulling any of the crap you guys had to deal with, but still there's plenty of threads using the word 'invaded'. To me that's comical, even as a NR the majority of that land is just as much yours as it is mine.

How do we fix the problem? I hope limiting oppritunity based on emotion is not the answer.

Last edited:

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes there are good and bad non residents and good and bad resident hunters. The good thing is most are good people. It only takes a few bads to influence people (especially anti hunters) the wrong way. Nice of you to do cleanup.

Like others have said, it has nothing to do with non-resident hunters. Every year I pick up trash in my locals areas from other local hunters, hunters traveling from another part of the state, or traveling from out of state. It’s about respect for your state or another state, it comes down to the individual.

It’s a shame people treat our lands and access this way especially with all of the increasing attacks on them. But people are selfish and some struggle to see the consequences of their actions. Good for your friend picking up the trash, some of us have to do more than others to make up for the ones that don’t do their part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GLB

WKR
I hate to say it but there are way to many sloppy hunters in all states residents and non residents. Every year without fail I am disgusted with some of the stuff I see. Fortunately at the same time I have been impressed by a few.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
It,s not limited to nr hunters . I hunt a lot of different states and see camps from resident hunters that leave them looking as bad as nr hunters. Our problem is we are raising people to not respect. Whether its policemen , teachers , parents , private property . public property , etc. You get the picture. My folks would have beat my ass for disrespecting any of the above. We got to turn this world around.

dotman

WKR
I’ve seen plenty of CO residents in the Durango area do similar, CO has its fair share of db’s. My parents live in Pagosa Springs and it always amazes me the trash I see CO residents put in their yards and leave in the woods.

How do you expect people to care about taking trash out of the woods when they just pile it up in their own yards?

SWOHTR

WKR
The interesting part is the complaints of hunter recruitment being low, low numbers of hunters, but increased hunting pressure.

AdamW

WKR
I agree with you.

On a recent bow-hike in a chunk of national forest I hauled out a short bed truck load of junk someone had dumped in the edge of the timber from their home remodel project. I saw a set of Colorado plates a day or so before at a gas station, I bet that was them. I just don't understand why someone would drive from Colorado to Missouri to dump their junk in the national forest.

Those Texas boys probably got all hopped up on the legal devil's lettuce in CO, lost their minds on reefer madness, destroyed and left their own camp and ran in to the wilderness naked never to be seen again. Probably used the lord's name in vain when they did it.

1 like = 1 prayer for those poor boys from TX and your friend who cleaned up after them.

PS - good on your friend for hauling that crap out. We can't change the world but we can change our street.

First,
I would like to say that those guys were idiots. And idiots are everywhere. I'm not going to apologize for them because I dont apologize for other peoples actions as they are not mine. I do sincerely appreciate you being a true sportsman and cleaning up their mess. You should have reported them as that is the only way to get the real message across. Hit a mans pocketbook.

Secondly,
I remember a specific outfitter in Flattops of Colorado who not only left his "Cash" of gear out the trail in Tupperware containers covered under an army camouflage tarp. He camped guys right where the elk used to cross through consistently and pretty much ruined the unit. And since 2005 it really hasn't been the same and I stopped hunting it. When his "Hunters" were done, he would burn their trash and fill the entire area with trash smoke.

The Non-residents from Pennsylvania. Me being one of them didn't like his crap being there either and turned him into the authorities. To my knowledge nothing was ever done about it. But I turned him in nonetheless.

I do a lot of hunting out of state and the bottom line is that the vast majority of stupid things I have seen people do are the locals. Not all of it, but most of it. I make an appoint to notice these kinds of things.

Problems like this have EVERYTHING to do with a person's character and NOTHING to do with the state on his license plate.

twall13

WKR
The interesting part is the complaints of hunter recruitment being low, low numbers of hunters, but increased hunting pressure.

At times I think the claims stating a decline in the number of hunters is skewed by the number of whitetail hunters in the east. I believe that there likely is a decline in the actual number of hunters. I also believe that there is a decline in access to huntable areas and as a result, it still feels mighty crowded out there. Over the last 10 years or so it has also become increasingly easier to get tags for other states (online applications, services like GoHunt, etc.) and as a result, many guys are hunting multiple states every year. There may not be more hunters overall, but there is a group of hunters that is hunting more than ever which also causes some amount of crowding.

Either way, it's not cool to litter. All of us need to do what we can to keep what public lands we have and to keep them in good condition.

nrh6.7

WKR
6 posts since you joined this forum and 1/3 of them are complaining about CO in general and the NR hunters that come and trash your state. You sound pretty cynical to me.

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm from Iowa and have hunted near Durango the past two years. Both times I've packed out garbage left by other groups and last year I even put out a smoldering fire that was left completely unattended. No way to tell who left that stuff, but there are bad actors everywhere. I just try to do my part so we don't all get a bad rap.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
At times I think the claims stating a decline in the number of hunters is skewed by the number of whitetail hunters in the east. I believe that there likely is a decline in the actual number of hunters..

Man, I can tell you right now, there is no decline in the Southeast. More trespassing and poaching than ever as populations rise and urban sprawl spreads.....club dues continually increasing. I'm thankful I have my own land to hunt, but I have many friends who are in clubs and it sounds like they are getting more crowded, more political, and more expensive all the time. Large private landowners are dying and their heirs are subdividing and selling multiple smaller parcels, so more people are becoming landowners and wanting to get their limits on the same area of land that previously had a more conservative harvest. Then they all complain they aren't seeing any deer after they shoot everything out.

As for littering.....there are turds everywhere. Where I am from, the locals are the worst, because they are usually poaching during the week anyway while the landowner is at work. Whats an extra beer can or water bottle.....they want to rub it in your face. "Yeah, I will go on your land whenever I feel like it."

kicker338

WKR
Need to point something out guys, it's not only hunters that leave their trash in the woods. I've found just about as much trash left behind by non hunters, just campers as I've found from hunters. Funniest was a woman's bra hung on a closed road gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.