Kuiu expand offerings

sandys18

FNG
Not that I have a dog in the fight but I was wondering if Kuiu will ever expand there offerings? I'm sure when Jason sold the company (sitka) there was a no compete clause in there for certain time. Just thinking out loud if they would ever come out with whitetail, water fowl or other lines?

Last edited:

IdahoElk

WKR
Not that I have a dog in the fight but I was wondering if Kuiu will ever expand there offerings? I'm sure when Jason sold the company there was a no compete clause in there. Just thinking out loud if they would ever come out with whitetail, water fowl or other lines?

I saw a video where someone asked that exact question and the reply was they're sticking to making products for backcountry hunters.

dotman

WKR
Jason sold kuiu or just a portion? Thought he was still the majority owner.

HookUp

WKR
Maybe they will look to expand after they figure out how to keep their current line up in stock.

Rockey

FNG
I agree with Idahoelk, on several podcasts and videos he has expressed that he is sticking to equipment for backcountry hunting for the most part and will branch out in time. Keeping stock was a huge issue for them which he seems to have figured out, especially when thinking back to 3-4 years ago when everything was 3-9 months out because it was selling so fast. Jason was also asked on multiple occasions about a women's line (stated there wasn't a big enough market, but appears to be dabbling a toe in the water with the Women's Super Down Jacket), kids line (which is in the works), and whitetail hunting line. Long story short, he doesn't see a large enough market for a women's line at this time; has created a kid's line and it will be out this next year; and he doesn't have enough experience or interest for whitetail or waterfowl hunting to come up with product specifically so "don't expect it" from Kuiu anytime in the near future.

He tried a new model (direct to consumer) to keep prices down, which had a learning curve I am sure, but the company seems to have figured it out. The company takes a substantial amount of criticism, which is to be expected when someone is successful in a capitalistic country.

IdahoElk

WKR
Here are some new items.
[video=youtube;WfAhPgnG-2s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfAhPgnG-2s[/video]

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Same, I heard in a podcast they were sticking to the backcountry gear since Jason doesn't whitetail hunt himself (probably also due to the increased competition). However he also said they wouldn't do a women's line and now that change there's hope! I wouldn't mind a kuiu whitetail set especially some cold gear but my other stuff still works fine for early fall and spring turkey. Also I heard he sold like 30% of kuiu to investors but maintained a majority share?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Not that I have a dog in the fight but I was wondering if Kuiu will ever expand there offerings? I'm sure when Jason sold the company (sitka) there was a no compete clause in there for certain time. Just thinking out loud if they would ever come out with whitetail, water fowl or other lines?

He got out of Sitka without a non-compete agreement, he mentioned it in a podcast. As far as the selling question layer in the thread, he has brought in some venture capital money but still retains majority hold of the company. According to the interview, he wanted to expand their offerings and were in a position to finally do so. I’ve heard him say (again on a podcast)they won’t do anything but mountain gear and won’t do a women’s line, but they did release a women’s puffy before the holidays.

OP
S

sandys18

FNG
You guys are an unreal wealth of Knowledge.

I think that the products on the video are great for mountain and would fit other areas of hunting too.

Thanks for all the great info.

Last edited:
Who buys new boots the week before a major hunt?

Lol!

Guys who can afford to go hunting in Tajikistan, I guess. Lol! Probably at that price point and as stiff and insulated as they are there isn’t any real break-in needed/possible? I will say that the Crispi boots I’ve bought didn’t need any break-in. I figured they would, like any other boot I’ve worn, but they have been so great that I haven’t gotten a single blister or hit spot, no matter how hard I tried. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnOyster

WKR
I watched Jasons interview on how he started kuiu , vias and verda were gonna be sitkas next colors but his investors had controlling interest of sitka and ran him and his wife out of the company, but he had not told the company about the up and coming colors and fabric ideas he had at the time, after those investors took it from him and basically put him and his wife out in the street he said a good friend helped him get kuiu off the ground and rolling, another reason its order only and no retailers, means less investors and Jason can control his company by controlling the interest, I believe he did say he did let a small % of the interest be sold to generate income to help get it rolling.

Another example of a guy starting out of his garage, working his butt off getting it (sitka) out there and greedy corporate America takes it from him because he slipped up and let already wealthy people get controlling interest of his company, sad but it happens everyday.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Debating the fallout of Jason and Sitka is about as pointless as a strangers divorce.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Debating the fallout of Jason and Sitka is about as pointless as a strangers divorce.
'
There you go right there.

This has been hammered out for years. They make great clothing and have lots of fans on Rokslide. Yes, they have haters, but enough is enough. Unless something else happens, there's nothing new to add to the KUIU story, it is what it is.

I just get tired of having to scan KUIU threads and seeing nothing new. Let's all move on. If you have a question about KUIU gear, post it up,

if you have valid experience with the gear, post it up.

But if it's the same old company stuff that has been debated for years, let's talk about something else.

thank you

Best comment of this thread. I have followed the Kuiu fallout on this forum for years and it cracks me up. Who gives a dang if the guy did this or that. He has a business, he offers a product, we do or do not buy said products. Life goes on. Good luck to everyone in the field. Just remember there are much bigger issues out there than Jason/Kuiu.

The guy in the video is very tough to watch. I give him zero credit as a mountain hunter. He tries really hard to act like he knows information about the clothing, but it's very obvious that he does not. Stuff looks good though.