Conservation Officer AND Outfitter

Poser

WKR
What's the equivalent of this scenario in general law enforcement? A state trooper who works DUI enforcement and operates a bar on the side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter6

WKR
As a retired LEO I can tell you that there are, or should be, rules established by his agency that govern whether or not this creates a conflict. IMHO if he advertises his business and the fact that he is a Conservation Officer, the odds are his department knows about it. He has every right to own his own business. What he does on his own time as long as it is legal is up to him. If his agency finds an issue with it being a conflict then it is up to them to resolve it but it wouldn't involve anyone but him and his agency. No other "outfitter" has more to loose than this guy if he "breaks the rules" because he is not only loosing his business but his regular job, career, retirement, benefits and basically being disqualified to ever work in his chosen profession again.

Does he have an advantage ? I don't know, I have several friends that are conservation officers that aren't the best hunters. If you are a truck driver and see a big buck cross the road does that give you an unfair advantage ? I mean your being paid to drive the truck not scout deer ??

I completely agree. I see no problem with this. This guy has more incentive than any other guide to follow the rules. If he is caught breaking the rules he loses everything. The average guide would just lose his guide license (maybe) and pay a fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3forks

WKR
What's the equivalent of this scenario in general law enforcement? A state trooper who works DUI enforcement and operates a bar on the side?

I wondered about this too... A health inspector that owns a restaurant or a judge that owns a private prison, maybe?

I knew some guys who worked for the State of Montana on a project that closely tracked elk herds in particular unit. Those guys were told it would be highly frowned upon if they were to hunt that same elk herd.

OP
bowieknife50
Well it didn't take long. Found a bobcat track today. Checked a few other places and came back to find this guy with a hunter and a hound guy putting dogs down where the track crossed back. Stopped to talk and the hunter ended up lives right there and also had permission to hunt it so I wished him good luck and left. The outfitter stayed on the other side of the truck and never introduced himself so I still can't say I've met him.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I know of other wildlife officers and biologists who run outfitter businesses. Frankly i dont know how a warden could have the time to do it as during big game seasons in particular there is hardly time to sleep let alone run another business. The good game wardens I know give everything they have to the conservation job during hunting season.

gwl79902

WKR
A game warden should not be a guide because it is 100% a conflict. A game officer has influence on the setting of regulations and other issues and therefor should not be in the position of making money off that. In oregon our bios can not hunt some of the hunts because they have influence over the hunts. State Troopers are the game officers and they can not outfit, guide, or do thing like sell salmon eggs. There spouse or family can do any of that.

This game warden is openly using his employment to make money. A simle example is that he says he is openly using the fact he is a officer to gain favor.

Game Wardens should know going in and accept fact that there are just some things you can not do.

These positions require that you avoid situation of impropriety or the perception of impropriety.

As someone said a letter is usually required for outside employment so his agency knowes about it. Too bad they are allowing it it will only cause a problem later on.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I have zero problems with it. His agency surely knows about his outside employment and has granted him permission to do it. For people who don’t know, Michigan elk tags are almost impossible to draw and is right on par with winning the lottery. If I ever drew a tag, that CO is the kind of guy I would want to hire to get me near the elk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely a conflict of interest but ultimately I would say as long as he isn't breaking the law then more power to him. Who am I to say what someone can or cannot do. Can't blame a guy for trying to make a living. As others have stated earlier, I'm sure he knows that he is walking a fine line and has zero room to slip up or make mistakes.

Seems shady AF to me. Used to be a wildlife biologist, and advertising your position as an employee of the state in order to drum up business for a private enterprise would have been grounds for dismissal. Maybe michigan is just backwoods enough not to care. I wouldnt use that guy if you paid me. Just my humble opinion.

OP
bowieknife50
I don't want to give his name out. He mentions that he's been a CO for so many years and that has led him to every part of the county and given him lots of experience outdoors.

OP
bowieknife50
Seems shady AF to me. Used to be a wildlife biologist, and advertising your position as an employee of the state in order to drum up business for a private enterprise would have been grounds for dismissal. Maybe michigan is just backwoods enough not to care. I wouldnt use that guy if you paid me. Just my humble opinion.
Backwoods legit