Bundy case- prosecutors tried to rig trial

Beendare

WKR
Lots of comments on the other Bundy thread about the Bundys got what they deserved....its obvious now we did not get the whole story....and after seeing how this was handled....and then the way the gov tried to rig the court case against them....a sad commentary on what happens when the gov is out to get you.

Docs Show Bundy Prosecutors Hid Evidence | The Daily Caller

Unsealed court documents detail how the team of prosecutors tasked with convicting Cliven Bundy and his sons of crimes relating to a 2014 armed standoff failed to turn over potential exculpatory evidence to the court, The Oregonian reports.

The Bundys’ case ended in a mistrial Dec. 20 after Judge Gloria Navarro ruled that prosecutors violated the civil rights of the defendants by withholding evidence supporting the Bundys’ case. Navarro is considering dismissing the case “with prejudice” and blocking prosecutors from retrying the case. Her decision will come Jan. 8, according to The New York Times.

“There were approximately 3,000 pages that were provided to us only after we started trial,
” Bundy lawyer Bret D. Whipple told TheNYT. “I personally have never seen anything like this, especially in a case of such importance.”

Defense attorney’s asked federal prosecutors to hand over Inspector General reports on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) agent Dan Love, who directed the BLM raid on the Bundy ranch to seize the family’s cattle over decades of unpaid grazing fees. Love was fired from the agency in September for corruption and unethical behavior.

Prosecutors had dismissed the allegations and investigations of Love as an “urban legend,” but ended up handing over 500 pages worth of reports on Love in December, according to The Oregonian.

The Bundys’ lawyers made two requests to Navarro for a special “discovery monitor” to ensure that all relevant documents were being turned over by the prosecution. Both requests were denied. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, however, launched an investigation into prosecutorial misconduct after the mistrial.

dotman

WKR
It is sad the gov can break the law without any accountability but that doesn’t change the fact Bundy was ripping all of us off and if he could he would try to steal away our public lands without hesitation.

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
The government clearly screwed up on many fronts...but it doesn't change the fact that Bundy was even more clearly and blatantly breaking the law.

TJ

WKR
The government clearly screwed up on many fronts...but it doesn't change the fact that Bundy was even more clearly and blatantly breaking the law.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The other stuff came out the day it was declared a mistrial. Does not change the fact they're a bunch of criminals.

wapitibob

WKR
I agree with the above opinions but, This is America and EVERYBODY has the right to a fair trial. When the Government starts down the dark side we're all in trouble.

MtnOyster

WKR
man...........I remember when all of this unfolded on TV, they should be held accountable for the grazing fees for sure but was it worth killing a man over?? could have been handled a little different don't you think?

TheTone

WKR
man...........I remember when all of this unfolded on TV, they should be held accountable for the grazing fees for sure but was it worth killing a man over?? could have been handled a little different don't you think?

You're mixing two events together.

tttoadman

WKR

Yes you are mixing 2 events together.

But since you are ineterested:
They tried diplomacy with that group for many weeks, but went nowhere. I would have been fine with a sniper hit and get it over with in one day. Negotiating with a group that takes over public land by force is no different than negotiating with terrorists as far as I'm concerned. As for the loss of life, when you run a road block and threaten police officers with a gun, you will likely die. That guy got what he deserved.

MtnOyster

WKR
Ahh..............yes, sorry guys I guess it was 2 events but same bunch, but I don't think I can put some western ranchers in the same category as some jihad ragheads, it appeared they were standing up against what they thought was a bad deal from a crooked government, the same crooked government that tried to rig a court case against them, Bundy shouldn't have gotten out of the truck armed for sure but I'm sure we are never gonna hear exactly what was going on there or what was going on when they seized that building for so long, maybe they were trying to screw the gvmt over I don't know but apparently the BLM agent over their deal was a turd because they fired his butt over corruption and unethical behavior. I'm sure we'll never hear it all when that same gvmt is prolly gonna control what info the media puts out there.

IdahoElk

WKR
Yes you are mixing 2 events together.

But since you are ineterested:
They tried diplomacy with that group for many weeks, but went nowhere. I would have been fine with a sniper hit and get it over with in one day. Negotiating with a group that takes over public land by force is no different than negotiating with terrorists as far as I'm concerned. As for the loss of life, when you run a road block and threaten police officers with a gun, you will likely die. That guy got what he deserved.

I thought he was unarmed at the time of the shooting? to you have links that say he did in fact have a gun?

IdahoElk

WKR
Ahh..............yes, sorry guys I guess it was 2 events but same bunch, but I don't think I can put some western ranchers in the same category as some jihad ragheads, it appeared they were standing up against what they thought was a bad deal from a crooked government, the same crooked government that tried to rig a court case against them, Bundy shouldn't have gotten out of the truck armed for sure but I'm sure we are never gonna hear exactly what was going on there or what was going on when they seized that building for so long, maybe they were trying to screw the gvmt over I don't know but apparently the BLM agent over their deal was a turd because they fired his butt over corruption and unethical behavior. I'm sure we'll never hear it all when that same gvmt is prolly gonna control what info the media puts out there.

Ruby Ridge 2.0

wapitibob

WKR
I thought he was unarmed at the time of the shooting? to you have links that say he did in fact have a gun?

You don't need to have a gun if you're stupid enough to reach into your jacket, not once but twice, when law enforcement has told you to keep your hands in the air.

MtnOyster

WKR
I meant Finicum shouldn't have gotten out of the truck armed.

I've watched some of the interviews and speeches that's out there from the Bundy's and LaVoy Finicum, they may have went about it the wrong way I don't know but I think the whole situation was handled wrong, but a BLM agent fired for crookedness, an FBI agent indicted for lying about firing his weapon at Finicum as he exited the truck. Man.......................... these people don't strike me as the everyday burglar, rapist, kidnapper, drug dealer yet some of you are glad a man was killed over grazing taxes due to the government, pretty sad.

Broomd

WKR
I have no love for the Bundy's, I suspect that they regard themselves as a self-entitled bunch that felt they could use the system, or make their own system. Disgusting. But you guys that are somehow conflating them and their cattle grazing on that dusty Nevada patch of dirt with the slimy dealings of our corrupt Gov't are nuts.
I'm referring to the outrageous Ruby Ridge tactics the Gov't employed there. Immense firepower at a situation that should have been diffused over an oak conference table.

And when one considers the millions/billions that our gov't appropriates to hostile nations, stupid 'bridge-to-nowhere' policies, and corrupt life-long bureaucrats...it puts 'grazing fees' in perspective.
A pox on all of them, and Bundy too.
I wish the media and everyone else cared as much about the uranium that we gave to Russia during Clinton's pay-for-play tenure in the state dept. Vermin, all.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
If the government had a solid case against these folks why the "dirty tricks"?
Some things to be learned about this whole event.
Check to see what the "government" did to these grazing fees in the years before this incident.

R

Broomd

WKR
If the government had a solid case against these folks why the "dirty tricks"?
Some things to be learned about this whole event.
Check to see what the "government" did to these grazing fees in the years before this incident.

R

R, I'd love to know more without the google-foo, can you enlighten about the fees?

dotman

WKR
I meant Finicum shouldn't have gotten out of the truck armed.

I've watched some of the interviews and speeches that's out there from the Bundy's and LaVoy Finicum, they may have went about it the wrong way I don't know but I think the whole situation was handled wrong, but a BLM agent fired for crookedness, an FBI agent indicted for lying about firing his weapon at Finicum as he exited the truck. Man.......................... these people don't strike me as the everyday burglar, rapist, kidnapper, drug dealer yet some of you are glad a man was killed over grazing taxes due to the government, pretty sad.

Growing up in a ranching family I can say, while many ranchers don’t fall into the categories you suggest, many will do anything to expand their land and not all are honest in how they do it. I’ve seen many many dishonest crooked landowners that know the right people in power. The Bundies were purely trying to expand their land ownership by taking over public land, they may not fall into the rapist, theif or avg “bad guy” we think of but they are crooked in trying to steal land from all of us for their benefit. All this boiled down to was them claiming ownership of ground because they had grazed cattle on it and didn’t accept that the feds or public can own land which has been upheld by the Supreme Court, their actions are no different then people that don’t pay their taxes because of a belief the gov can’t tax them.

Just a different kind of scum is all they are.

MtnOyster

WKR
Growing up in a ranching family I can say, while many ranchers don’t fall into the categories you suggest, many will do anything to expand their land and not all are honest in how they do it. I’ve seen many many dishonest crooked landowners that know the right people in power. The Bundies were purely trying to expand their land ownership by taking over public land, they may not fall into the rapist, theif or avg “bad guy” we think of but they are crooked in trying to steal land from all of us for their benefit. All this boiled down to was them claiming ownership of ground because they had grazed cattle on it and didn’t accept that the feds or public can own land which has been upheld by the Supreme Court, their actions are no different then people that don’t pay their taxes because of a belief the gov can’t tax them.

Just a different kind of scum is all they are.

I understand and I'm not disagreeing with you but I think it could have been handled different.