Uncle Sam's best hunting gear??

I have used danner boots for a while -Acadia and the ICH. The old ecwcs goretex bivy is heavy but good. Mine is 20 years old and still makes it to the field Some times. As I have said elsewhere the ilbe or filbe is a great pack for the money.

fishslap

WKR
For those of us that don't mind a little extra weight in the pack and more money in the wallet. What is some of the military surplus equipment you use on hunts?

Amazon.com: Polartec Fleece Pullover, Coyote Brown, USMC Issue, Made in USA (Medium): Sports & Outdoors

I've worn this fleece pullover under my Uncompahgre and kept plenty warm in the woods.

I was looking at that same fleece a few weeks ago. How does it fit? I usually wear a large but sometimes a medium on larger cut clothes.

I’ve been using a field jacket liner for years. Recently I put a zipper on it to make it a little tighter. I also use a modified woobie and the issued wool gloves quite a bit.

OP
WoodsWalker270

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at that same fleece a few weeks ago. How does it fit? I usually wear a large but sometimes a medium on larger cut clothes.

Mine is a Large. I usually wear a Large for most of my clothing and this seems a good size for layering.

Bivy sack, fleece pull over, waffle and silky base layers, assault pack, woobie and army modular sleeping bags all get used throughout the year. Woobie stays in truck year round. I use it all the time.

SWOHTR

WKR
There is also a polar tech beanie. I have one and use it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aporia

FNG
I use the Army Gen 3 ECWCS system. Best clothing system I've found without the $$$ price tag.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I use the Marine fleece pullover. Gen III level 2 baselayers. I did use a level 4 wind shirt but, it proved useless to me. I use military surplus wool glove liners. I use the level 6 rain gear exclusively They work GREAT. I use the fleece beanie. And, I use a level 7 primaloft jacket when it hits single digits and below. So I use a lot of the Gen III stuff. I did use a ILBE GEN II pack a bit as well. But, no more.

It's good gear and, its a lot cheaper than most. God Bless

PF_JM

FNG
If you can find the new rain gear in the OCP pattern, it is pretty good stuff. The Litefighter 1 man tent is a good shelter. The woobie and field jacket liners are also pretty hard to beat. After 15 years in, that is really all of the 'standard issue' stuff that I would use.

PennDude

FNG
If you can find the new rain gear in the OCP pattern, it is pretty good stuff. The Litefighter 1 man tent is a good shelter. The woobie and field jacket liners are also pretty hard to beat. After 15 years in, that is really all of the 'standard issue' stuff that I would use.

Can you provide a link to the rain gear you mentioned? I'm on a dollar menu budget and am in need of decent rain gear.

PF_JM

FNG
Can you provide a link to the rain gear you mentioned? I'm on a dollar menu budget and am in need of decent rain gear.

Ebay is usually the best place to find them but you have to be careful because of all the knock offs, if you have any military surplus stores in your area they will sometimes have them. Look for the military clothing tag inside to be sure it is actually a military clothing item and not Chinese knock offs. Kuiu clearance cave also has some really good deals.

USGI * GEN III Level 6 OCP Scorpion Jacket * ECWCS Cold Wet Weather * LRG REG | eBay

elkyinzer

WKR
Most guys in the know are rocking MOLLE backpack straps modified to carry their mobile treestands.

It works a heck of a lot better than the junk webbing straps that come with the stands, but it's far from perfect. And I log a whole lot of miles in the fall with a treestand on my back.

Eagerly waiting for someone, be it a treestand manufacturer, or backpack designer, to design the perfect treestand that is light, quiet, and carries well. I wouldn't hesitate to drop several hundred bucks on one.

I like the level 5 soft shell jacket and pants. It blocks wind awesome and is very water resistant. I seam sealed my jacket but haven’t got to test it out like I wanted. I wear the jacket on my dirt bike in the spring and fall and it blocks the wind good.

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
I use the usmc lightweight exposure suit for my rain gear I believe it is a 2 layer goretex. It has put zips

PredatorX

WKR
Dont laugh but i am going to throw out there the mickey or bunny boots. My feet got cold in them once, but then a member here told me to get my feet hot in them and now they work great for the treestand.

The Acu versions of goretex are cheap cheap cheap and look pretty close to Sitka open country color pallete but less “open”. That Mickey Mouse boot idea is intriguing.