Co-ax case and cartridge inspector

Any members have this tool ? Would you recommend it or compare it to other concentricity gauges. Please share your thoughts on this tool. I have limited space in my reloading area, that is why I'm considering it. Thank you for your consideration,

Wapiti1

WKR
My take on it is neither. Concentricity will be good enough from any good die set. Its importance for hunters is a myth. The cartridge as it sits in the chamber is necessarily misaligned with the bore due to multiple factors. A perfectly straight cartridge has to be held perfectly centered and straight in the chamber in order for concentricity to matter. An impossible thing to have happen in a hunting rifle and damn hard to do in a bench rifle.

In order to even chamber the round, there is clearance between the case and the chamber. Gravity alone will misalign the bullet to the bore as the cartridge rests on the bottom of the chamber. Things like the ejector plunger put pressure on the cartridge and push it into one side of the chamber at an angle. Again mis-aligning it to the bore. A claw extractor like found on some Winchester, CZ's and Mausers will push the cartridge to one side of the chamber. Even with just neck sizing, there is a couple thousandths play between the cartridge and chamber, or you couldn't chamber the round.

Unless you load so that the bullet is jammed into the rifling, and you can use the case head as a reference, none of this makes much difference. Or you have a chamber that is custom cut to fit a turned case neck/bullet combo, again this doesn't matter.

Neck tension, seating depth, sorting cases, and keeping your components consistent are more critical.

Just my two cents.

Jeremy

Jeremy has it. I have the hornady and cant say its worth much more than a little piece of bling on the bench. Tight neck chamber and neck trimmer are in your future if alignment is what u seek. Cant say ive seen the worth of a tight neck even in my bench guns. A good barrel, a good bedding job in a good stock, and a great trigger do the lions share of the work as far as i can tell. Interesting to trace where misalignment originates from and therefore how it can be reduced if you have the turn of mind so to speak. Good luck and keep us posted if you make any noteworthy discoveries in your procedure or equipment. Cheers

OP
T
I'm a single shot shooter no matter the rifle action. I always hand feed my cartridges and take special care of loaded rounds even when I'm hunting. When I was young my father taught us that there is no reason for a second shot, it will only cost money. If the first shot can't do the job ,don't shoot. I have passed this philosophy to my son's and grandsons. I think it plays well for safety training of new hunters too. Just food for thought not meant to criticize any style of shooting or hunting. Be safe have fun and enjoy those around you.