Southern California Hunter looking to travel out of state for first time

work765

WKR
Im not sure if there's ever a good time to bring up hunting out state; with so much pressure to all the good spots. But here goes. Basically I'm looking for advice from anyone who lives or hunts out west west. I have zero preference points to any states other than California, so I might not even be hunting out of state this year.

I will be applying only for rifle deer tags out of state. And if I actually get a tag, I'll be hunting public land and on foot with no guide.

I was going to apply for Utah, Arizona and Colorado. I've heard Colorado and Arizona, that its pretty impossible to get drawn the first year for rifle. So, then there's Utah, which i heard I might have better chances.

I picked these states, because I can drive there relatively easy (I dont want to fly anyhere) and not miss too much time from work for a hunting trip. I want to get one week out of state, and then high-tail it back to Los Angeles, to hunt my local area.

Questions- Are there any other states I should be applying to that have good odds, and that are close to California? Any other advice for deciding where to apply to?

Thanks!

I'd look into some of the otc units in Idaho. Gohunt.com is a great tool to help you see what your draw odds in all the western states are, well worth the $150 and there is or was a rokslide discount code for $50 off.

WRO

WKR
Oregon isn't bad either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hall256

WKR
Gohunt.com is a great tool to help you see what your draw odds in all the western states are, well worth the $150 and there is or was a rokslide discount code for $50 off.

^^^This...some searches on there site will help you get an idea of where it is feasible to get drawn with zero points, and also get some basic info on the area.

For a free option, Randy Newberg did a you tube series where he broke down each western state and how to apply/draw...but I believe he only focused on elk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
W

work765

WKR
Thanks guys! Is gohunt.com more or less a convenience fee to have all the draw odds of each state in one place? Isn’t that info available in each Big Game book that the state releases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks guys! Is gohunt.com more or less a convenience fee to have all the draw odds of each state in one place? Isn’t that info available in each Big Game book that the state releases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is way more information available on GoHunt than any state website will give you. Show me a state hunting proclamation that shows you %of public land in each unit, burn areas, min and max elevations, recommended vehicle access points, vegetation features, etc etc. Yes, you are paying for the convenience, and you are also entered into all of the monthly drawings for some killer gear. Heck, they gave away 5 Browning Hell's Canyon rifles in one month. Show me a state that does that. If you are wanting to maximize your time, it's money well spent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I hunt all those states, PM me your number and we can discuss it at length. UT and CO are good for OTC, drew elk tags my 1st two tries in AZ (in the Kaibab no less).

This might sound crazy, but my next out-of-state hunt will most likely be to Western Oregon for Roosevelt elk. I live in Idaho, and we have almost every species of Western game, plus whitetails, turkeys, etc. I haven't researched my options for Roosevelt elk yet, but I've gathered that there are some OTC opportunities available. I know, I know, it's crowded and lots of private land and on and on. But I have always wanted to chase them, and someday I will. While everyone else is dreaming of wide open basins loaded with mulies, elk, and bears, I'm wanting to shoot a big Rosie at 10 yds in a swamp.
I guess you could say it's a case of being embarrassed by riches. Food for thought if nothing else.