Man cave/reloading room ideas

bates

WKR
I would scrap the gun safe idea and just build a vault type closet. a vault door is about what a safe will run.

Get some Gallowtech or similar for the walls to hang everything its a sweet set up

you can have all your guns and gear set up ready to go and easy to grab or access. no digging in a safe or banging stuff around.

I don't have a way to send files yet on this site as photobucket did their thing. If you PM me your phone number I'll text you some pictures or e-mail the to you.

A good door with a lock..best to keep your wife (or girlfriend) from digging around and finding hidden treasures.

Thats why you have your room locked! I thought it was to keep kiddos out.
I agree 100%...my strategy is to mention to my wife that I'm annoyed always having to kill spiders down in my reloading/gun room.
No way she would step foot in there even if there is only a slight chance at seeing a spider.

Btaylor

WKR
Best setup I have seen was a friend of mine. He built a long bench but instead of having built in cabinets under it he had cabinet sections on casters that would just go under the bench. He could quickly reconfigure work setups that way and increase work surface or clear space to sit close to the bench. He had lots of equipment mounted to bases he could quickly bolt up to the rollout so as well like other guys here have mentioned. Wish I had done my space that way.

The vac idea is gold. I would always notice flash, marabou etc in cat turds when I was changing litter boxes. A decent stereo would be a good touch as well. Overhead storage for rods/ammo would free up some ground space. I would look into epoxy floor coatings in case you wanted to work up meat and have easy cleanup.

Brado16

WKR
Going to bump this thread back up. I am just starting to turn part of our unfinished basement into a finished office, reloading room and gear room and always like seeing what others have done to generate some ideas. Lets see some more pictures!

Getnlost

FNG
Over wire the room. What I mean by this is more plugs are better than less. More circuits are better than less. If you're going to be putting up Cabinetry wiring for under cabinet lighting. Wiring is one thing it's very difficult to change once the walls are up so do your best to try to think ahead.... Just my two cents

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I just gutted our basement over the winter and am now in the process of framing everything up, I'm going to barn board the walls in the bar area of the basement and am thinking about doing one of those hidden door set ups into my reloading/hunting room/office thought it would be pretty cool, but my only concern would be how something like that would hold up to repeated use. I'm going to make a fireproof closet with a vault door on it and a dehumidifier inside to store my guns, powder and other valuables. As long as i get my wife garden set up at the new house i have free reign to set my room up however i want and I'm pretty excited to get it going. I'll post pics as it progresses.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just gutted our basement over the winter and am now in the process of framing everything up, I'm going to barn board the walls in the bar area of the basement and am thinking about doing one of those hidden door set ups into my reloading/hunting room/office thought it would be pretty cool, but my only concern would be how something like that would hold up to repeated use. I'm going to make a fireproof closet with a vault door on it and a dehumidifier inside to store my guns, powder and other valuables. As long as i get my wife garden set up at the new house i have free reign to set my room up however i want and I'm pretty excited to get it going. I'll post pics as it progresses.

How will you make the walls of the closet fireproof?

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I did the same thing about 8 years ago. My room was a 20 by 14 framed in deck. I insulated and finished it like a normal room. I have 3 windows along the side that I can open for a breeze and give great ambient light. I have a over sized door going directly outside too. Allows for heavy objects to come through the door better, like a gun safe. Along one wall, I built a bench. I use this bench for reloading. I store my hunting clothes, reloading stuff, gun safe, etc in this room. It is also my workout room with weight bench and weights.

My advice is this, you can never have too many benches. This summer I'm going to build two more. Trying to single stage and progressive load off just the one, plus use it for fletching and bow work, is getting cluttered. For benches, make them super sturdy. Frame them out of 2 by 4 studs, and plate them with 2 by 6. It allows for presses and such to be screwed directly to them and you don't have to Worry about ripping them out of the table after a couple thousand pushes on the handles.

Another option for the top of a reloading bench is the metal clad wood from inside treadmills. If you have a fitness equipment store nearby that sells and repairs treadmills they probably have a few of these kicking around. A guy can usually get them for free, they're a great size for a bench top (mine is 60 X 32) and they're incredibly strong for mounting a press on.

The more outlets the better. Also I like a lot of shelves so I can easily find stuff without a lot of digging

VernAK

WKR
Over the years I've built benches and shelves and cabinets but was never satisfied until
last fall I hit Home Depot on Black Friday [I Know]......I bought two roll around tool cabinet
benches with roller drawers and wood tops at a real bargain price.......I've torn out old benches
and cabinets as these two moveable cabinets hold all my components and tools and I can move em for
floor vacuum.

The central vac idea is great and I use it a lot.

I also installed LED magnifier lamp at the bench location.