California Hog Hunts

OR Archer

WKR
Looking for information on some good outfits that offer hog hunts in northern California. Looking to do a pig hunt in April/May for 2 people bowhunting. So if anyone has any personal information on good outfits and even information on outfits to avoid that'd be great.

Lockwood hunting services in Ukiah ask to hunt with Charles , hes an archery guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gobbler36

WKR
Been wanting to do one of these hunts also, not trying to hijack the thread but is it possible to do unguided pig hunts on public land?

Dunndm

WKR
I've hunted public land for a few years now in central and Southern California... never seen a pig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your best opportunity in CA is at the Tejon Ranch. They have a huge amount of hogs and is well worth the drive and investment. Their website has all the info. If you organize a group here with Roksliders you could make it a great trip. I think it is about $500 per person, you stay in a decent lodge and they cook your meals. They also have porkapoolooza weekends where the have lots of archery guys trying to put the hurt on the hog population.

There are also hints at Lake Sonoma but it is a crap shoot to see hogs. You do best if you have a boat and move into ambush them once spotted. Lastly there are several outfitters and guides in Northern CA around Redding and Cottonwood that offer pig hunts, usually two days, Friday at noon to Sunday at noon. Give me a call if you want further details.

Takem

WKR
Public land is very tough to do. I've never tried myself but I know people who have without success. I'm sure they're are guys that get animals but coming from out of state would be a very low percentage hunt.

Dunndm

WKR
Your best opportunity in CA is at the Tejon Ranch. They have a huge amount of hogs and is well worth the drive and investment. Their website has all the info. If you organize a group here with Roksliders you could make it a great trip. I think it is about $500 per person, you stay in a decent lodge and they cook your meals. They also have porkapoolooza weekends where the have lots of archery guys trying to put the hurt on the hog population.

There are also hints at Lake Sonoma but it is a crap shoot to see hogs. You do best if you have a boat and move into ambush them once spotted. Lastly there are several outfitters and guides in Northern CA around Redding and Cottonwood that offer pig hunts, usually two days, Friday at noon to Sunday at noon. Give me a call if you want further details.

How successful are these hunts? I've heard a lot of good and also read a lot of bad reviews on tejon ranch

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tejon: I would guarantee an opportunity at a hog. I have seen dozens a day there. The lake Sonoma one I would never go on. The Northern CA property I used to hunt has plenty of hogs also. But it’s hubting, so you have to get after them.

Dunndm

WKR
Tejon: I would guarantee an opportunity at a hog. I have seen dozens a day there. The lake Sonoma one I would never go on. The Northern CA property I used to hunt has plenty of hogs also. But it’s hubting, so you have to get after them.

I've always done public hunts.. so I'm nervous to spend 500-700$ to not get a shot at anything.

I'm in Southern California. So only reason I'd go up north is for a guided hunt

boom

WKR
I meant in California

I know one guy very successful at lake Sonoma near my home. He has that place wired. I get on them, but can’t close the deal. That place it’s like playing the odds. The more time spent, the better odds of crossing paths.

I’d be happy to show you around.

Dunndm

WKR
Also- just looked it said 1200/1400 depending on the days you go for a 2 day hunt

Yep, Fort Hunter Liggett, Lake Sonoma are good bets, as is Tehama Wildlife Area, but if you don't know the areas or some habits of the animals that occupy them, sealing the deal is nothing short of an up hill climb. There is also several BLM properties that hold pigs, and some National Forest. However, most of the public lands that do have pigs is marginal. As such, finding pigs can be very hit and miss. I hunt a few areas, but one of the best areas is a 10 mile trip to just get to were I start hunting. You might be better off trying to trade a pig hunt with a deer or elk hunt, Ca and Idaho, or Ca Oregon, respectively.

If your looking for something guided, you might try the following: Tom Willoughby, The Jack Ranch, Shay Campbell Balesteri aka bigboarstopper, Tim Lockwood, Cottonwoodhunting, Bitterwateroutfitters. You can google them up, all have good reputations.

Spaulazzo

Lil-Rokslider
Check out hoss hog. He out of colusa county
Hoss Hog Hunting Adventures

4 of us hunted there last April, came home with three pigs. (3 of us archery and 1 rifle hunter) saw a ton of pigs. Great opportunity’s to spot and stalk. The guide mike was great. We would definitely go back.

I only live a couple hour drive from some of the places listed on here and have clicked on some of the links you guys provided. Is it just me or are all of these CA Pig hunt services EXTREMELY overpriced ? My god ! One can run a quick search to see many pig hunts in FL and TX for around $200-$300 . If I was looking to go on a guided pig hunt I'd probably use one of those services ( TX, FL etc ). With flight and meat shipping it would probably cost less or close in price but I'd look into that just on principal.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
Looking for information on some good outfits that offer hog hunts in northern California. Looking to do a pig hunt in April/May for 2 people bowhunting. So if anyone has any personal information on good outfits and even information on outfits to avoid that'd be great.

there is good guy "Mel". he organizes a decent hog hunt near Lake Sonoma. i think it is $200 per day. he teams up with a private guide with access to an AWESOME property. i went once, and we saw lots of pigs. getting next to one is the same PIA, but they were there.
he puts up a party thread on a norcal hunt forum. might be worth signing up.

again..i'd be willing to show you around lake sonoma. you could camp right there at the lake if you had a small camper or big tent.

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
I only live a couple hour drive from some of the places listen on here and have clicked on some of the links you guys provided. Is it just me or are all of these CA Pig hunt services EXTREMELY overpriced ? My god ! One can run a quick search to see many pig hunts in FL and TX for around $200-$300 . If I was looking to go on a guided pig hunt I'd probably use one of those services ( TX, FL etc ). With flight and meat shipping it would probably cost less or close in price but I'd look into that just on principal.

I’m kind of in agreement. Average price is $900-1100 for 2-3 days not including tag/license fees.