Overview of my first DIY/OTC Colorado archery elk hunt

Mi_fiveo

WKR
In September I did my first archery otc elk hunt in Colorado. I wanted to give a quick review of some of the items that I used and what my impression was of them. I'm an eastern bow hunter and most of the hunting around here is from a treestand. I have many successful spot and stalk hunts out west for Mule Deer and Whitetail but this was my first attempt at public land otc archery elk hunting. I did a lot of research over the last year on forums like Rokslide. Starting from square one and building a plan. Every piece of gear I would need to make this a successful trip. I learned to use mouth reeds and felt my bugles and cow calls were acceptable. The Elk Nut DVD’s were helpful but the iPhone app sure came in handy as well. I fine tuned my bow and regularly practiced out to 80 yards.

I was successful on my archery elk hunt and brought a 5x5 home with me. I only seen one other elk in two weeks of straight hunting and it was a spike that I called in. I was pretty disappointed in the lack of elk. His is what I was told to expect In otc Colorado units, and it proved to be accurate. I was fortunate enough to vacation in Colorado in July. I scouted and placed 5 trail cameras up in the area I would be hunting. I positioned them on game trails and water spots. When we arrived to hunt on September 11th, all of the trail cams were still there and I captured several nice 5x5's and one pretty big 6x6 on camera. Lots of bears and mountain lions in the pictures as well. The elk seem to have disappeared once August 25th came and pictures of elk were pretty scarce after that. I never heard a single elk bugle in two weeks of hunting. I logged 60+ miles of hiking during the trip.

The elk I did harvest came in after lots of cow calls but he never made a sound. He presented me with a perfect broadside shot at 30 yards and the QAD Exodus blew through both of his lungs and stuck in the ground behind him. He crashed into a tree about thirty yards away and expired maybe 20 seconds after I shot him. Extremely happy with the Easton FMJ and Exodus arrow setup.

Here is my quick review of the gear I used for the trip and how it performed. We set up a base camp at the truck and then backpacked in a couple miles to set up a bivy camp to hunt out of. My pack weight going in was 49lbs with all my gear, water and 6 days of food.

Pack - Kifaru Nomad with guide lid and grab it- performed great and I have zero complaints. Made the 75lb pack outs feel like 40lbs.

Clothing- First Lite was everything I expected and kept me warm and dry. I never thought wool clothing would be comfortable in 70 degree weather but I was amazed how well it regulated my temperature. The raingear worked great in several rain/sleet storms and I stayed nice and dry. I also have a new found appreciation for a nice hooded puffy jacket. What a great piece of gear.

Gaiters- I have never worn gaiters before but on several suggestions I picked up the First Lite ones and wore them the entire trip. I think this is the single piece of gear that completely blew me away. They kept my pants and socks dry from all the rain soaked grass and protected my pants from the pickers that stuck to everything. I couldn't recommend a piece of gear more for mountain style hunting.

Boots - Kenetrek Mountain Extreme- very disappointed in these boots. They protected my feet and were pretty comfortable but the rubber rand started to separate from the toe on both feet. They also leaked and anytime the grass was wet my feet ended up wet and uncomfortable. I have used nothing but the recommended kenetrek boot wax on these boots and the rand still started to separate and my feet still ended up wet. Big thumbs down. (For clarification, since I stated earlier the gaiters kept my feet dry, my boots sucked in water from where the sole meets the rubber rand. So the bottom of my feet got wet several times, but the top of my feet and all the way up to the top of my socks stayed dry.)

Fhf Gear Bino and Rangefinder pouch- loved this combo. Kept my bino's protected and within easy reach. I had previously used the elastic harness that crosses your back but will be sticking with the FHF setup for all future hunts. Having the Rangefinder within easy reach was also very nice.

Walking sticks- highly recommended. I went with the cheap Cascade Mountain sticks from Amazon and was very happy with them. I wouldn't go on a mountain style hunt without walking sticks. Especially for the pack in or when packing out heavy loads of elk meat.

Tent- Big Agnes Copper Spur ul2- worked very well for a lightweight tent and I stayed dry through several heavy rain and sleet storms. Even though it was listed as a 2 man tent there is barely enough room for one. I think I will be upgrading to a floorless shelter with standing room for my next hunt. Being cramped in that tiny tent was getting pretty old after 2 weeks.

Sleeping Bag- 20 degree Western Mountaineering Alpinlite- amazing sleeping bag and worth the money. I believe it only weighs 1lb 15oz.

Inflatable Pad- Thermarest X Therm - very happy with this pad. The insulated pad kept me warm and protected from the cold ground. I went with a wide because I have wide shoulders and I’m a side sleeper.

Game Bags- TAG bomb bags- two of the bags ripped at the seams while loaded and hanging. Plan on contacting them to see if they will warranty them. (They addressed this issue very quickly and I had new replacement bags. Top notch customer service)

Knife- Havalon Piranta with removable blades. I used two blades to debone the entire elk. The blades do not like side pressure but I have been using them for years and know not to pry with the blades. I'll never bother to carry a heavy fixed blade knife again.

Water Filter- I used a Katadyne Hiker Pro. It worked great but the Mountain streams are so clear I could have probably gotten away with just using water purification tables.

Stove- MSR Windburner stove. I liked this stove a lot. Nicer than my jetboil. Cooked one mountain house for dinner every night and a cup of Dark Timber coffee every morning. The coffee was ok, pretty weak no matter how hot or long I steeped it. Better than no coffee though!

Any questions on other gear I used just let me know. Hopefully this will help somebody out when trying to put together a gear list. Thanks to all of you for the knowledge I gained on this forum. I felt confident I was ready to handle anything when I started out on my first elk hunting trip.
b5efc28231543fc2bd6a9c9e082429b9.jpg
a6cf99fc36521d7ddedc17151fb9dbc2.jpg
7f1beeb38416011351d4da4ee62e28bd.jpg
191622e221b258c927fe2fff309ff983.jpg
009acfb7bc9da60070f0ed5ab7701cda.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
The first half of my post seems to have disappeared. I’ll try to paste it.

In September I did my first archery otc elk hunt in Colorado. I wanted to give a quick review of some of the items that I used and what my impression was of them. I'm an eastern bow hunter and most of the hunting around here is from a treestand. I have many successful spot and stalk hunts out west for Mule Deer and Whitetail but this was my first attempt at public land otc archery elk hunting. I did a lot of research over the last year on forums like Rokslide. Starting from square one and building a plan. Every piece of gear I would need to make this a successful trip. I learned to use mouth reeds and felt my bugles and cow calls were acceptable. The Elk Nut DVD’s were helpful but the iPhone app sure came in handy as well. I fine tuned my bow and regularly practiced out to 80 yards.

I was successful on my archery elk hunt and brought a 5x5 home with me. I only seen one other elk in two weeks of straight hunting and it was a spike that I called in. I was pretty disappointed in the lack of elk. His is what I was told to expect In otc Colorado units, and it proved to be accurate. I was fortunate enough to vacation in Colorado in July. I scouted and placed 5 trail cameras up in the area I would be hunting. I positioned them on game trails and water spots. When we arrived to hunt on September 11th, all of the trail cams were still there and I captured several nice 5x5's and one pretty big 6x6 on camera. Lots of bears and mountain lions in the pictures as well. The elk seem to have disappeared once August 25th came and pictures of elk were pretty scarce after that. I never heard a single elk bugle in two weeks of hunting. I logged 60+ miles of hiking during the trip.

The elk I did harvest came in after lots of cow calls but he never made a sound. He presented me with a perfect broadside shot at 30 yards and the QAD Exodus blew through both of his lungs and stuck in the ground behind him. He crashed into a tree about thirty yards away and expired maybe 20 seconds after I shot him. Extremely happy with the Easton FMJ and Exodus arrow setup.

Here is my quick review of the gear I used for the trip and how it performed. We set up a base camp at the truck and then backpacked in a couple miles to set up a bivy camp to hunt out of. My pack weight going in was 49lbs with all my gear, water and 6 days of food.

Pack - Kifaru Nomad with guide lid and grab it- performed great and I have zero complaints. Made the 75lb pack outs feel like 40lbs.

Clothing- First Lite was everything I expected and kept me warm and dry. I never thought wool clothing would be comfortable in 70 degree weather but I was amazed how well it regulated my temperature. The raingear worked great in several rain/sleet storms and I stayed nice and dry. I also have a new found appreciation for a nice hooded puffy jacket. What a great piece of gear.

Gaiters- I have never worn gaiters before but on several suggestions I picked up the First Lite ones and wore them the entire trip. I think this is the single piece of gear that completely blew me away. They kept my pants and socks dry from all the rain soaked grass and protected my pants from the pickers that stuck to everything. I couldn't recommend a piece of gear more for mountain style hunting.

Boots - Kenetrek Mountain Extreme- very disappointed in these boots. They protected my feet and were pretty comfortable but the rubber rand started to separate from the toe on both feet. They also leaked and anytime the grass was wet my feet ended up wet and uncomfortable. I have used nothing but the recommended kenetrek boot wax on these boots and the rand still started to separate and my feet still ended up wet. Big thumbs down. (For clarification, since I stated earlier the gaiters kept my feet dry, my boots sucked in water from where the sole meets the rubber rand. So the bottom of my feet got wet several times, but the top of my feet and all the way up to the top of my socks stayed dry.)

Fhf Gear Bino and Rangefinder pouch- loved this combo. Kept my bino's protected and within easy reach. I had previously used the elastic harness that crosses your back but will be sticking with the FHF setup for all future hunts. Having the Rangefinder within easy reach was also very nice.

Walking sticks- highly recommended. I went with the cheap Cascade Mountain sticks from Amazon and was very happy with them. I wouldn't go on a mountain style hunt without walking sticks. Especially for the pack in or when packing out heavy loads of elk meat.

Tent- Big Agnes Copper Spur ul2- worked very well for a lightweight tent and I stayed dry through several heavy rain and sleet storms. Even though it was listed as a 2 man tent there is barely enough room for one. I think I will be upgrading to a floorless shelter with standing room for my next hunt. Being cramped in that tiny tent was getting pretty old after 2 weeks

Great post. Really enjoyed the write up! I am gearing up for my first western hunt this year myself and this site has been awesome. I feel like I’m going in well prepared using the info gained on here! Congrats on your bull as well that is awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My question is since you didn't see or hear any elk what made you setup and call when you called your 5x5 in? Also what calling sequence were you using when it came together? Great over view of your hunt

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I was moving silently and slowly looking for sign. I caught a glimpse of brown fur and then a flash of horn. The bull was feeding in a 20 yard wide grassy spot surrounded by thick timber. He was about 80 yards away and didn’t know I was there. Wind was perfect and blowing my scent away from him. I decided not to try bugling and used cow calls. I probably called for fifteen minutes before I lost sight of him and then he reappeared heading in my direction. I had to kneel to find an opening but he stopped where he was exposed and I hammered him. He never made a sound coming in.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I was going to get the lowa’s but a great deal popped up on some Crispi Idaho GTX so I’m giving them a try this year. They fit great and seem supportive so far.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was moving silently and slowly looking for sign. I caught a glimpse of brown fur and then a flash of horn. The bull was feeding in a 20 yard wide grassy spot surrounded by thick timber. He was about 80 yards away and didn’t know I was there. Wind was perfect and blowing my scent away from him. I decided not to try bugling and used cow calls. I probably called for fifteen minutes before I lost sight of him and then he reappeared heading in my direction. I had to kneel to find an opening but he stopped where he was exposed and I hammered him. He never made a sound coming in.

That's awesome. I had thought you were setting up and cold calling. Seeing them first is more exciting than cold calling.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Grunt-N-Gobble

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing.

My experience mirrors yours almost, except i didnt see the bull i called in before i started calling. I heard him coming by breaking branches but he never answered my cow calls. Tried all week to bugle one in, but it never happened. And this was in a low point draw unit.

Of course last year, a friend who hunted the same area, said the bulls were bugling all week in there. I guess some years its hot and others its not.

rcrfc

FNG
Did you look into other states for an OTC hunt?
I'm starting from scratch as an eastern bow hunter (Iowa).

Great write up. Love to hear about public land success, especially when it's hard-earned. Myself and a friend had a similar experience with Kenetrek boots a few years back, I had Hardscrabbles, he had Mtn Extremes. Loved the boots, but it seems like other, i.e. older, companies have the rand and waterproofing a little more nailed down.
As for the hunting, I seem to have the same experiences as you in most OTC units. Tight-lipped, very wary elk. Armies of backcountry commandos might be contributing to that. Elk everywhere acting normally until the opener.

ElkNut1

WKR
Congrats bud, nice bull! Yes, he basically used a version of a Cold Calling setup. The method works great with quiet elk or ones you may have spotted but there's little to no bugling! This Cold Calling is shown in video form on the APP he mentions!

Surprised about the Kenetreks too, I love that Mountain Extreme! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

big44a4

WKR
Great post! I did my first DIY/OTC hunt and second a lot of what you said. I could tag out in a couple hours during July but didn’t setup any trail cameras. When I got there in September found mostly old sign (don’t know if pressure or feeling of season pushed them and don’t know where). Ready for next season and hope to setup some cameras in the coming years when I scout over summer.

Did you lock your cameras in any way?

PredatorX

WKR
Any questions on other gear I used just let me know. Hopefully this will help somebody out when trying to put together a gear list. Thanks to all of you for the knowledge I gained on this forum. I felt confident I was ready to handle anything when I started out on my first elk hunting trip.

See rokslide isn't just a bunch of elitists. Lots of helpful people here.

Good job.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
It was informative to see pictures of elk on all of my cameras but they basically disappeared on August 25th and no more elk pictures after that. Hunting pressure must have driven them somewhere else. I locked my cameras with cable locks to trees but I still expected that a few of them might get stolen. One was in a very high traffic stream crossing and I had lots of pictures of hikers filtering water but nobody molested my cameras. When I arrived to hunt on September 11th there was a group of 4 muzzleloader hunters camped in the area and they had been hunting it for several days. I’m guessing that is one of the main reasons why the elk moved out or up higher. I was at 9500-10000 ft.

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
Way to go!!! Good for you that is a heck of a bull for a first time public land elk. Did you have any elevation sickness or how did you prepare your body training wise if anything before the hunt?

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I’ve been to Colorado for several other vacations since my sister lives there and I’ve made the summit of a few 14’ers. The elevation made me feel pretty weird on my first trip but ever since then it has affected me less. I’m in decent shape and workout regularly. Mostly walking, jogging and squats to prepare for the trip. I got a prescription for Diamox and made my hunting partner take it twice a day. It was his first time at elevation and he was feeling it. I took a few of the Diamox the first few days and never had an issue. I did experience lots of tingling in my hands during the morning but it seemed to go away every day.

Great write up. I really liked the reviews of the gear as well. Did you set up a base camp and hunt from there or did you pack your camp with you every day while hunting.

Me and my brother are planning our first archery elk hunt this year. We're still deciding on which state.

Thanks

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.