Options

J_rain

Lil-Rokslider
Question... I'm an eastern flat lander that plans on heading west. The dilemma is my hunting partner is anti elk with a bow, his reasoning is it's to hard. I, on the other hand, don't mind failure I just want that opportunity to take one with a bow. If we compromise and go late OTC Rifle in Colorado, will I be throwing money in the trash to take my bow?

Last edited:

ckleeves

WKR
I would say yes. The OTC rifle seasons in Colorado are somewhat tough to begin with for someone without elk hunting experience.

Add in the fact that your hunting well outside the rut, possibility of crunchy snow and leaves etc. When you finally find a bull and he’s at 200 yards the last thing your going to want to do is attempt to close that gap.

I will throw this out though, I really don’t think it’s any harder to kill a bull during archery with a bow then it is to kill a bull during rifle with a rifle. Sounds stupid I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man...I know nothing about CO elk hunting, but I've heard plenty about what the rifle season is like. Like smooshing a hill of ants dressed in orange. I DO know a little about elk hunting with a bow, and it is incredibly difficult. Combining the two...I'd either save my money, or go with a rifle. Rifle hunting is plenty difficult on it's own. Start with attempting to have rifle success, and maybe if you do that, the next step could be elk with a bow. I'd do that vs hunting solo...others may differ.

IdahoElk

WKR
Ha,like Elk with a rifle is easy,that's funny! Hands down I'd pick Sept. elk with a bow any day.

I completely agree with ckleeves, otc elk are equally difficult to kill with either weapon. During archery you have the rut in your favor, but your weapon is your weakness. During rifle hunts, there is exponentially more hunters and the elk are generally not rutting anymore. Your rifle is much more powerful with more reach, but finding elk at all can be a challenge let alone getting within range. I personally would rather hunt elk that could be vocal, it increases the odds that you will at least be able to locate some. That's most likely to happen during archery season, unless you draw a LE tag.

HookUp

WKR
You might compromise by getting a different hunting partner.

Elk are easier to find during archery season more difficult to close the deal. Rifle season they are almost impossible to find and much easier to put one down. Each season has its pro's and con's, I would pick bow during bow season every time. Bow during rifle season would be very difficult and all the rutting that makes September spectacular won't be present, that's half the reason I go.

See if you can talk him into muzzy and you can get the best of both worlds as muzzy season is during archery season. Muzzy isn't OTC, but there are several muzzy units that are archery OTC that give him a 50% chance with no points at either sex first choice or 100% chance at a cow any choice.

Someone proficient with a muzzy can extend their range to roughly double someone who spends the same amount of time practicing with their bow. During muzzy season you are required to use iron sights only, so open or peep restricts most people to under 100 yards. I have killed several elk at 125-130 which I consider to be my max range when I have a good rest. Without a rest I like to keep it under 100.

Last edited:
OP
J_rain

J_rain

Lil-Rokslider
I really appreciate the replies, literally every conversation we have had has went this way. I give him reasons that you have all stated, because i read everything on here lol

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
Question... I'm an eastern flat lander that plans on heading west. The dilemma is my hunting partner is anti elk with a bow, his reasoning is it's to hard. I, on the other hand, don't mind failure I just want that opportunity to take one with a bow. If we compromise and go late OTC Rifle in Colorado, will I be throwing money in the trash to take my bow?

If you’re a decent hunter and aren’t too picky about which elk to take, elk hunting isn’t that difficult with a bow in the early season. My friend and I traveled from PA to CO this past August with no elk hunting experience and were within bow range of elk every single day. Be patient, learn from mistakes, and hunt all day- you’ll get on elk. Scout online like crazy, and have multiple spots planned in case one (or more) doesn’t work out the way you thought. Good luck!

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re a decent hunter and aren’t too picky about which elk to take, elk hunting isn’t that difficult with a bow in the early season. My friend and I traveled from PA to CO this past August with no elk hunting experience and were within bow range of elk every single day. Be patient, learn from mistakes, and hunt all day- you’ll get on elk. Scout online like crazy, and have multiple spots planned in case one (or more) doesn’t work out the way you thought. Good luck!

I agree 100% with this. If you do some research you will get into elk. Plus shouldn't it being difficult make it that much more fun? I also cant find any negatives in less people, bugling bulls, and getting to hunt with a bow.

This is not typical for first timers from out of state, but can be for archery season with a little luck and some good digital scouting. However, it is very unlikely during rifle season, especially OTC seasons (R2 and R3). During those seasons you're likely to be pulling the trigger on any legal bull in OTC units.

There are several posts on these forums of first and second timers going an entire trip without even seeing an elk. I'd hold tight to those spots, but it's also just as likely that going to the same spot next year you could just not see a damn thing. So many things can effect where the elk are and aren't from year to year and even day to day: different weather, moon cycles, livestock grazing activity, etc.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think archery season elk is much easier than rifle season elk. I wouldn't call either "easy", but comparing the two it's no comparison IMO.

ST52v

WKR
Has your partner hunted Colorado before?? What is he basing his statement on?? I don't like the fact that his biggest concern is on harvesting an elk. What will his attitude be after being wet, cold, deep snow , lots of other hunters, and no elk sighting after a few days of hunting? The reality is both seasons can be tough!! Our first Colorado elk trip was 2nd rifle. We only saw a few elk. Our second trip to the same area was archery. We thought we would hear them and at least know where they were. We didn't hear a single elk!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
Has your partner hunted Colorado before?? What is he basing his statement on?? I don't like the fact that his biggest concern is on harvesting an elk. What will his attitude be after being wet, cold, deep snow , lots of other hunters, and no elk sighting after a few days of hunting? The reality is both seasons can be tough!! Our first Colorado elk trip was 2nd rifle. We only saw a few elk. Our second trip to the same area was archery. We thought we would hear them and at least know where they were. We didn't hear a single elk!!

Nope, neither of us had ever been west of PA, or seen elk in person prior to this trip. it’s certainly not easy, but if you’re willing to put in the work scouting, training, hiking, shooting longer distances you shouldn’t have an issue at the very least getting into bow range on elk. Whether or not you successfully harvest is different, that’s dependent on shooting ability.

That’s my experience, obviously depending on the unit and conditions things can vary wildly, but I’ve heard multiple people say that elk hunting in the early season isn’t nearly as challenging as it seems, you just need to grind and be willing to hunt hard all day. I don’t mean to make it sound easy, but definitely doable just to clarify my previous statement.

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider

Also, we didn’t hear a single bugle either, we went for the season opener before the rut really started. During the early season if you can find areas where elk are, you can get on them just by glassing and patterning them. We didn’t do any calling except light cow calls to bring elk into range. It’s certainly not the “sexy” bugle fest you see on TV, but it’s effective.

cnelk

WKR
My success for killing elk went thru the roof once I concentrated on archery season instead of rifle season.

But each area depends on when the elk are there.
I have spots I hunt for different times of the year - some early / some late - based on when the elk are there.

I would not recommend using a bow during any OTC rifle season.
That would most guarantee you being in the 80% of hunters that dont kill an elk.

SWOHTR

WKR
If someone's iffy/flaky, remain friends but don't hunt with them. Do what you want to do. That's what I've learned.

Also, we didn’t hear a single bugle either, we went for the season opener before the rut really started. During the early season if you can find areas where elk are, you can get on them just by glassing and patterning them. We didn’t do any calling except light cow calls to bring elk into range. It’s certainly not the “sexy” bugle fest you see on TV, but it’s effective.

So much this. I feel like half of the people that post on here that they came out on their first trip come out opening weekend and expect to hear bugling or have been watching too much Born and Raised and thing they're gonna just walk around and bugle until something calls back. This is not how the early season works. If you want that you need to hunt the last week of archery. If you're gonna come out opening weekend, you need to go higher and get out of the timber where you can find them and pattern them by glassing.