Javelina in my back yard just now

BlackFlag

FNG
So here I am, surfing this forum when one of my dogs starts huffing. I get annoyed and get up to send him outside hoping he was just having one of those 101 Dalmatian moments. I open the sliding glass door to the back yard, which is directly in front of where Im sitting, when both my dogs take off like comets into the back yard.

I don't think much of it since they both tend to self escalate when one starts barking. Not 15 seconds after closing the door, I hear one of my dogs barking and snarling. By the sound, I knew which dog it was immediately since he's only ever done that once before in his 8 years with me. I pull my flashlight out of my pocket and draw my pistol in anticipation for some crazy meth head to come at me (it's Tucson after all).

I illuminate the back yard for an initial quick sweep, and the snarling dog goes whipping by me chasing a black/gray animal. I swing my light towards the center of the yard (I think I just passed off that blur as someones cat or something) and starring right back at me was a female javelina!

I started yelling at the dogs to get inside since I don't even want to know what that vet bill would have been. Here's the weird thing, I have a 7ft tall brick wall that encompasses my entire house with the exception of a metal, vertically barred, gate that's always pad locked. I had to go outside the front door in order to get to the lock. Outside next to the car were two young Javelina's that scattered when I shined the light on them. I got the gate unlocked and opened it wide, then headed inside and grabbed a pot and ladle in order to make a ruckus. I was able to go to an adjacent room, slide open the window, and make enough noise to scare it to the side of the house with the gate. Currently, they are a few houses down turning a neighbors front yard into their Golden Corral.

Crazy, thought I'd share that since I was on this forum when it happened. I think the wife got a picture of the female, I'll post it here if she did.

OP
B

BlackFlag

FNG
Here are some pictures
77293c0f91812fba483f3b2eb36fc446.jpg
fdfeb984dc707b28fce8af4bfed5d0ef.jpg
37755993112c670517762eb6b52a5a8c.jpg

Last edited:
Blackflag, you did that all wrong, you were supposed to open the gate to let the others in (as if you didn't know that was coming). On a more realistic note, no surprise to hear of javelina in Tucson. I presume she managed to squeeze through the bars on the cell, um, gate. You must of had something tasty back there. I assume the little one skedaddled out front when your dogs ran out.

OP
B

BlackFlag

FNG
Blackflag, you did that all wrong, you were supposed to open the gate to let the others in (as if you didn't know that was coming). On a more realistic note, no surprise to hear of javelina in Tucson. I presume she managed to squeeze through the bars on the cell, um, gate. You must of had something tasty back there. I assume the little one skedaddled out front when your dogs ran out.

That's what we're thinking. I'm impressed the adult was able to squeeze through though, I'm about to head out to the yard to see if they were trying to dig something up.

boom

WKR
Cool..i love Tuscon enough just for the Sonoran hotdogs :)

javalina in the yard is a bonus!!