Anyone here from SD...got some questions on public camping

Luked

WKR
End of Aug we are heading to Yellowstone for our honeymoon camping. driving and pulling a camper and coming through SD on Hwy 90.
we are looking for a decent place to stay over for the night in the camper where its easy to get it to camp for the night.
dosent have to be a big campground can just be anything where we can stay overnight.
does anyone have any ideas where we can lay up for the night?

I know Missouri here has public conservation areas that you can camp in that are primitive. that would work fine also

KurtR

WKR
I would think oakoma or chamberlain would have some thing when you get west of there not much till you hit wall or so. Dont stop on Pine Ridge reservation. There is not much for public camping that is free you can park in parking lots like walmart for the night. Mitchell would be the last one of those till you hit Rapid City.

There's alot of camping around Rapid, not sure when in August but sturgis seems to have become a month long (or longer) event and I would look to make a reservation sooner rather than later, especially if you don't want to venture too far off the I90 corridor. If you can camp further east (I've never camped here) Chamberlain has to have something available. There's a ton of summer traffic between tourists, riders, people fishing the river, etc... I'd be floored if there werent a bunch of campgrounds in and around chamberlain.

If you're too close to the end of August you start bumping into Labor day campers getting their last flings in for the year. South of Rapid is a big NF with plenty of camping opportunity, Custer state park, etc... If you're looking at a legit campsite and not just dispersed in the NF reserve it soon.

I would think oakoma or chamberlain would have some thing when you get west of there not much till you hit wall or so. Dont stop on Pine Ridge reservation. There is not much for public camping that is free you can park in parking lots like walmart for the night. Mitchell would be the last one of those till you hit Rapid City.
I would try cabelas in mitchell

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I would try cabelas in mitchell

that would be perfect. I had forgot about Cabelas. stayed on their parking lot once years ago on the way up north with my dad when he was alive.
we were headed to MN and decided to go over to Cabelas and see it and just spent the night there

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
that would be perfect. I had forgot about Cabelas. stayed on their parking lot once years ago on the way up north with my dad when he was alive.
we were headed to MN and decided to go over to Cabelas and see it and just spent the night there
There's also a Cabelas in Rapid City, if you get past Mitchell.

I agree with KurtR, if you want an actual campground, Chamberlain/Oacoma will be your best bet. There are a couple different campgrounds. Otherwise parking lot it in Mitchell. Plus side of camping along the river is you get to see the better (west) half of the state in the daylight lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There is a public axes near Chamberlain/ Oacoma called dude ranch. I know the name throws you for a loop but it is a free camp ground. I stayed there for a week in October while out there bow hunting. Its nothing special but it is a place to stay. There are some fire rings and couple picnic tables and also a bathroom. No running water but it is somewhere to go. If you Google it you should be able to find it.

Free camping along lake oahe south of the freeway in chamberlain. Nice spot along He lake to find a place to setup and not bad on mosquitoes.

Reminds me of the banks peninsula In New Zealand.

jmez

WKR
Camp grounds all over the Black Hills as well. There are several from Rapid City to Spearfish. Shouldn't be busy end of August.

Backyard

WKR
Not from SD but rode thru last Aug on our way to the west coast. We stayed a nite in Presho just West of Chamberlain at a nice little RV park called New Frontier. They have pull-thrus, cabins, and camping. Inexpensive, clean and right off 90.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk