Colorado Approves New Shed Hunting Regs

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Picking up arrowheads on BLM land is also illegal and many people will not think twice about putting them in their pocket.
So your saying it should just be ok since the "other" guy is doing it anyway,?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
Ahh but they are not excluding anyone from enjoying the lands are they? You can still walk and enjoy it can’t you? They are just saying no one can pick up an antler therefore they are excluding no one, is there an exception for bird watchers and hikers to pick up antlers? Again they are not saying you or anyone can’t be there, they are just saying no one can pick up shed antlers so they actually did what you are wanting.

Where did they actually close access to the federal land?

So whats causing the issue with wintering deer? Human presence or the physical act of picking up a shed antler? Because what you just said, is that you can still walk right through a wintering deer herd to fish, photograph, bird watch, ski, hike, take your dog for a walk...

How is leaving an antler laying on the ground causing less stress to deer? Or, how is picking up an antler stressing a deer?

Because that's the only difference between a shed hunter and what any other recreationist is allowed to do...physically bending over and picking up an antler.

It all leads to the same place:

Either close areas to all human activity, or allow people to recreate.

LandYacht

WKR

Why is it always one extreme or the other? Either allow anything and everything or allow nothing at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandYacht

WKR
Couple comments, the bolded part first.

You seem more than eager to make shed hunting illegal to everyone because of the actions of a few, that cause you the same discomfort? You seem to have no problem with passing legislation/regulation to punish the many for the actions of the few in the case of shed hunting. That's curious.
".

You couldn’t be more wrong with your statement. If it were the actions of a few we wouldn’t be having this discussion. It wasn’t an issue when there were a few shed hunters. There are now thousands where there’s used to be hundreds.

We can be proactive and attempt to regulate ourselves, or we can wait until it becomes a dire problem and then be regulated by those that have no idea (see the bear hunting in Colorado).

dotman

WKR
So whats causing the issue with wintering deer? Human presence or the physical act of picking up a shed antler? Because what you just said, is that you can still walk right through a wintering deer herd to fish, photograph, bird watch, ski, hike, take your dog for a walk...

How is leaving an antler laying on the ground causing less stress to deer? Or, how is picking up an antler stressing a deer?

Because that's the only difference between a shed hunter and what any other recreationist is allowed to do...physically bending over and picking up an antler.

What causes the issue is people lose their minds and invade the areas in a rush to find bone. If it was illegal to pick up antlers, how many people that don’t actively shed hunt do you in your heart feel actually pressure and stress wildlife? Maybe your right and no one should be allowed in the woods ever just because shed hunters have a few guidelines now to abide by and ethics to follow, only you can decide if they align with your morals. Heck why not start poaching, you can’t shoot an animal without following guidelines and rules either, why let anyone in the woods other then during a valid hunting season? Shed antler hunters have to get off the beaten path or they will not find much. I personally have never ran into anyone but hunters off main trails unless it’s the dead of summer and even then it isn’t common.

To me it’s silly to say no one should be out there since we can’t pickup antlers anytime we want, if people actually respected wildlife and not their self interests then this wouldn’t even be a topic of discussion, finding antlers in itself is in an individuals self interests and not for the greater good of the public or wildlife the lands are set aside for. Collecting antlers is not improving habitat, removing trash or bettering the health of wildlife. Sorry but what other recreational activities are the people going into the woods and coming out with full packs of items they collected from the woods that are legal? Hunters have to have permits for specific species and timelines, fisherman the same.

I guess I don’t see a rational reason how this is discriminatory and why it is negative, all I see is people up set that their self interest is now not getting to be fulfill as easily. Where is the rational argument for why shed hunting is good and beneficial to wildlife and our public lands?

Again, they are not saying anyone can’t recreate, pretty sure you can’t cut down healthy trees either, maybe the firewood cutters have a better argument then shed hunters as to why our public lands should be close to everyone year round. It’s just humorous to see the argument to either shut it down to everyone or let me do what I want.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
When I shed hunt I spend a lot of time watching the animals. It does me no good to push them out of the draw or off the ridge they want to live on. I have waited hours, even days for elk or deer to move off so I could slip in and snag a shed. If you're wanting to collect antlers it does no good to chase off all the antlers. That being said, I have had other shed hunters walk up the ridge I was watching, grab the shed and blow the elk.

There is a real problem in the wintering areas I watch and it's not shed hunters. It's wolves

Dude, you’re totally right and if everyone shed hunted that way, there would be much less impact

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Why is it always one extreme or the other? Either allow anything and everything or allow nothing at all!

Because we are the only animals on the planet with the ability to reason. So........how our governments and agencies legislate and regulate should be done the same way.......with logic and reason. We've already pointed out how illogical it is that just bending over to pick up an antler is a problem, but your buddy next to you that doesn't pick it up is not the problem. If you can't see the difference......then there's nothing to discuss.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
all I see is people up set that their self interest is now not getting to be fulfill as easily.

I have never been shed hunting in my life, and certainly won't plan to start now. But when logic is eliminated from decisions and actions such as this.......it shouldn't be ignored.

Everyone can argue and speculate all they want that "birders and hikers" don't disturb the wildlife "as much". And then you'll have shed hunters that will say the same thing......."I don't disturb the wildlife as much as those groups of shed hunters". So where is the line drawn? Well........the line comes right back to where we are now. We already have a law on the books that makes harassing wildlife illegal. Obviously they can't or won't enforce this current law if they somehow need a new law or regulation, so how on earth are they going to enforce the new law if they can't even enforce the old law? It's "feel good" legislation that makes no sense at all. Enforce the current law if it's that important to them.

It's the same illogical liberal argument that we need more gun laws. OK, committing crime is already illegal so let's pass a new law that bans committing crimes with guns. Duh.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The true problem is it's money driven and a few people were going as soon as a single antler fell to pick it up and then check the area again later. Soon the majority said they weren't finding enough because the other guys went earlier so they stated going earlier. The cycle just kept pushing earlier and earlier. Same argument used here someone else will break the law and pick them up early anyway.

Lawnboi

WKR
The true problem is it's money driven and a few people were going as soon as a single antler fell to pick it up and then check the area again later. Soon the majority said they weren't finding enough because the other guys went earlier so they stated going earlier. The cycle just kept pushing earlier and earlier. Same argument used here someone else will break the law and pick them up early anyway.

Totally agree with this. Money and greed drive the craze and instagram stardom is just the icing on the cake for it all. Remove the money involved and leave shed hunting to the recreationalist.

I like shed hunting a lot, I do it at what I see is an appropriate time per the area(no seasons where I normally frequent) and do my best to disturb the wildlife the least amount possible. I dont sell what I find, and if I don't want to keep it I let it lay. For me it's just an extension of hunting, figuring out what animals made it, getting some antler for home and some craft stuff, spending time outside, testing gear. If Colorado or any other state doesn't want me looking till x date, for management reasons I'm fine with that.

BuzzH

WKR
What causes the issue is people lose their minds and invade the areas in a rush to find bone. If it was illegal to pick up antlers, how many people that don’t actively shed hunt do you in your heart feel actually pressure and stress wildlife? Maybe your right and no one should be allowed in the woods ever just because shed hunters have a few guidelines now to abide by and ethics to follow, only you can decide if they align with your morals. Heck why not start poaching, you can’t shoot an animal without following guidelines and rules either, why let anyone in the woods other then during a valid hunting season? Shed antler hunters have to get off the beaten path or they will not find much. I personally have never ran into anyone but hunters off main trails unless it’s the dead of summer and even then it isn’t common.

To me it’s silly to say no one should be out there since we can’t pickup antlers anytime we want, if people actually respected wildlife and not their self interests then this wouldn’t even be a topic of discussion, finding antlers in itself is in an individuals self interests and not for the greater good of the public or wildlife the lands are set aside for. Collecting antlers is not improving habitat, removing trash or bettering the health of wildlife. Sorry but what other recreational activities are the people going into the woods and coming out with full packs of items they collected from the woods that are legal? Hunters have to have permits for specific species and timelines, fisherman the same.

I guess I don’t see a rational reason how this is discriminatory and why it is negative, all I see is people up set that their self interest is now not getting to be fulfill as easily. Where is the rational argument for why shed hunting is good and beneficial to wildlife and our public lands?

Again, they are not saying anyone can’t recreate, pretty sure you can’t cut down healthy trees either, maybe the firewood cutters have a better argument then shed hunters as to why our public lands should be close to everyone year round. It’s just humorous to see the argument to either shut it down to everyone or let me do what I want.

Get out in the weeds much?

How is walking your dog through wintering deer beneficial to wildlife? How is snow shoeing through wintering deer beneficial to wildlife? How is riding an ATV through winter range beneficial for deer? How is cross country skiing through winter range beneficial? How are those activities improving wildlife habitat, removing trash, or bettering the health of wildlife?

So, lets hand pick one form of recreation, that is no different than all the rest, but the physical act of bending over and picking up a shed antler. No different than picking up a stick, a rock, or a snowball...that's crushing our deer herd.

Got it...makes as much sense as a soup sandwich.

For the last time, I'm perfectly fine with seasonal winter range closures, FOR ALL RECREATION, if there is a scientific need to protect wintering big-game. If there isn't, then let people recreate.

If any recreationist harasses wildlife, use existing harassment laws to the fullest extent. Punish the offenders, not the form of recreation.

dotman

WKR
Oh yes snowshoers, atv’s, snowmobiles, dog walkers and bird watchers are all following herds to run thru them and grab an antler. You guys make it sound like the woods are just packed every where you go and no one uses a trail but the poor shed hunters who just pick up the random antler by bending over and grabbing it.

Sorry not buying it. I still think there should be a permit of $1000 since people are profiting from this activity.

I guess the easy answer is to make it illegal to sell sheds, not pick them up for your own use but sell. That would probably have a better overall positive effect on wildlife as many would stop the recreation if they can’t make money off it.

Never heard of an atv rider, snowmobile rider, dog walker or birder making money with their recreation.

Last edited:
Like most on here, I don't feel this is going to fix the problem CPW is addressing. I like to get out and find a few every year for my personal collection and minimize my impact on the wintering wildlife.
Will I stop picking them up until May? Yes. "Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when none else is watching" A.L. - and do my best to adhere to the CPW's rules and regulations.
Will most others that do it to make money? Some, but most I bet not. If not, they are most likely the ones that do not follow other hunting laws ands regs as well.
Will it stop me from being out in the woods turkey hunting before the closure ends? No. But you can guarantee I won't be pushing or harassing deer or elk.
Will it piss me off to walk right by a nice brown elk antler this year when I'm turkey hunting before May 1st? Damn right it will.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Here is a CPW news release that is 2 years old
Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
CPW News Release

Here is a news release from last year
Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
Collection and Possession of Shed Antlers

Obviously the CPW knows about the stress antler hunting poses on animals.
And they also know that this type of animal impact is not going away.

The new laws going into effect are going to help these animals and we as outdoors people should appreciate the step in the right direction
How they enforce them is up to them and other’s help.

If someone feels strongly about this, the CPW offers rewards to turn in violators.

George

Lil-Rokslider
As a recreational shed hunter last spring was my first shed season in Colorado. I found one chalk 5pt shed down by the Jicarilla in NM. Most every where that I went in NM and CO had already been grid searched repeatedly by gangs with dogs. There were shed buyers camped out all season long on about every corner down on the main drag. Going price is $15/lb. I've been told by locals that the new law won't stop them from shed hunting nor will it stop the pros. I think that the industry needs to be disincentivized.

G

I’ve found all of my sheds at work, during wild fires, so I’m pretty sure no animals were disturbed by me picking up an antler.

Now I have to follow yet another rule designed to protect an animal that won’t work because the previous (which is still in effect) isn’t working. There’s about six game wardens to cover the 2.3 million acres down here in the area of SW Colorado where I live, I’m sure they will be able to keep up with this new law and provide the protection the wildlife are supposed to have from those looking for sheds.

A portion of my taxes already support folks on food stamp and government support, so why not pay a little more as a specific user of public land to recreate on it? Other than the ATV folks, only hunters and fishers pay into the support of maintaining our public lands. If you close an area off to everyone some group will get upset and say it isn’t fair, yet I doubt they put much into maintaining the public lands they use.

sndmn11

WKR
It is counter intuitive that this law still allows those on private land to pick up sheds. If the intent is to protect wildlife, and many would argue that a large portion of wintering is done on private land, why allow private land shed hunting?
Some have shared on here that they have watched folks barrel into herds to grab sheds, while they have been patiently waiting for the herd to move out. There are already anti-harassment laws in place, that prohibit this type of behavior. If those existing laws were enforced, that behavior would be curbed. This is not a question of ethics or morals, it is a question of enforcing existing laws. Those existing laws are not enforced by personnel and are reliant on the individual to choose to not break the law. If the individual sees a pattern of the existing law not being enforced, and chooses to act in non-compliance with the existing law, why would that person suddenly choose to comply with a new existing law? The only folks who will adhere to it are those who were adhering to the law of now harassing wildlife.
I do not shed hunt whatsoever. I do not see the logic of allowing all users access to the land on which the animals are stressed and pressured...they are either stressed and pressured, or they are not. A person could be hiking/biking/jogging 7 days a week in the same spot, but on day 4 they come across a shed, and the act of picking it up is illegal? That is beyond silly.
If there is such a huge issue with commercial shed hunting, then commercial shed hunting needs to be addressed specifically.
I also find it interesting that the door was left open for a shed license to come into effect. I hunt near a customer's place where he has found a few years in a row single sheds that score right at 200". He does not go out searching for them, nor do I, nor does anyone else who hunts the property and adjoining public land. It would not surprise me if next year a shed hunting fee were put into place, and it then becomes illegal for any of us to pick up an antler when scouting through the summer or hunting in the fall. Why legislate such a thing? As one person pointed out before it is illegal to pick up arrow heads, but folks still do it. The issue at hand is actually enforcing the current laws and regulations, and not over legislating them in hopes that maybe a small few of those in non-compliance will suddenly turn to conform.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
First off, I believe that CPW still does not have the legal right to restrict antler collection as an activity. If they truly believed this, why only the restrictions on public ground. They can set hunting seasons and bag limits for wildlife on all public and private grounds because they are entrusted to manage WILDLIFE not shed antlers. I believe a court challenge would prove this.
Secondly, I am in favor of not harassing wildlife on critical winter ranges. If it is that critical stop all human activities. Also all of Colorado west of I25 is a big chuck of land and only small select portions of it could be considered critical wintering ground. Enforce existing laws where needed.
Finally, the elephant in the room is too many people and people building homes and subdivisions all over our winter ranges.

LandYacht

WKR
What basis is the opinion that they have no control over an antler after it is shed originate from?

It would seem that they would be no different than a dead head and I didn’t think those were fair game belonging to the at large world once the animal dies, at least sheep are that way.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
A dead head could be the result of an illegal or legal harvest. A shed has nothing to do with a harvested animal