Colorado Approves New Shed Hunting Regs

TheTone

WKR
...but feel free to do anything else in those same areas including hiking, photography, atv'ing, etc. Shed specific seasons IMO lead to those breaking the rules collecting a bunch while those that wait and follow the rules find little. Certain parts of Idaho tried shed seasons a long time ago and found out they generally didnt work and instead those areas have total human entry closures for set periods of time. The entry closures seem to work better to me

dotman

WKR
...but feel free to do anything else in those same areas including hiking, photography, atv'ing, etc. Shed specific seasons IMO lead to those breaking the rules collecting a bunch while those that wait and follow the rules find little. Certain parts of Idaho tried shed seasons a long time ago and found out they generally didnt work and instead those areas have total human entry closures for set periods of time. The entry closures seem to work better to me

There will always be those among us that have zero issue breaking the law for personal gain, just have to decide which side your on and know you’ll probably lose out sometimes on easy pickings.

Last edited:
I'm fine with this. Just seems to be another sign of the times. I'm not sure how shed hunting has blown up into such a " thing". I've heard of online groups and TV shows dedicated to it so I suppose that might have fueled it.
It really wasn't that long ago when this was a non issue.

Hall256

WKR
This sounds like an example of a good intent, but poor execution. This topic was discussed on here last year when the idea was being floated around, and a lot of points brought up then are still valid. Perhaps it is a step in the right direction, but i have a feeling this will be abused by a lot of people that will still go out, are still in the woods disturbing elk, and still marking or moving (didnt see a specific that you could not move a shed) a shed location.

So there will still be people out in the elk's winter range, they will still be disturbing them, the only difference is that decent guys (like I assume most of us are) like us will stay out of the woods.

Not sure what the answer is to the issue, as I said, maybe it is a step in the right direction....I just dont think it will have the benefit that it was designed for.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Yet people can still backpack/hike into these areas and cause just as much stress. I’m in full support of protecting wintering herds but as said above poor execution. I can’t say I’d like to see a full closure either as I enjoy getting out in the winter. Tough topic I guess.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Somebody might be in the deer winter ground but it'll surely help keep the majority of people that go there this time of year out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm guessing this was already discussed last time, but it seems like prohibiting the sale of sheds would fix this issue.

That's all we need.......more regulations. Oh wait......they've already added another one. Might as well keep piling them on and restricting even more of our freedoms.

I've never gone shed hunting, I doubt that I'll start now.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
I think prohibiting the sale of sheds would only worsen the problem these regulations are trying to fix.

Netherman

WKR
I think prohibiting the sale of sheds would only worsen the problem these regulations are trying to fix.

Why do you think that would make it worse? I haven't fully gone down the shed selling rabbit hole but based on the article I linked you're talking pretty big numbers for big matched sets. Which might incentivize chasing that big buck or bull on the snowmobile or ATV for a bit to see what shakes loose.

Lawnboi

WKR

I don't. Can't sell mounts or meat. What's the difference. Could say the same of commercial hunting. Though I'm against many more things that are commercializing our wildlife.

There's already states that don't allow it.

I don't understand why they feel the need to implement seasons if animals are being harassed, inforce the harassment laws. I would like to see a study done to see if the stress is truly as bad as everyone says. I personally have never seen an elk or deer that I thought was killed by shed hunters. Lots more deer and elk are killed by hunters than shed hunters. Should the shed hunters push to shut down hunting seasons? Wolves, coyotes, and lions do more to harass wildlife then someone bumping them out of a draw looking to find a shed.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
Just to be clear, I do have a stake in this issue as I buy and sell antlers but here is my thoughts on the matter. The price of antler has increased twofold over the past five years driven by the dog chew market. Prior to Wal-Mart, Costco and every major chain store selling antler dog chews we mainly shipped antler overseas for Asian consumption and a small portion for the craft trade. If you really are serious about shutting this activity down keep your pets from chewing on antlers. Also in Colorado CPW has jurisdiction over managing wildlife. I have serious concerns that once an antler is cast off or shed that they have any further authority. State and Federal agencies do have authority over trespass and therefore can vicariously restrict activity's, but to say one outdoor activity (shed hunting) at that time of year is illegal but all others are not(dog walking,snowmobile, crosscountry skiing,etc.) is onerous. As others have said on this site, laws are already in effect for harassing wildlife. ENFORCE THEM! I am getting up in years now, but it absolutely galls me that we can legally sell pot on every street corner but be fined or arrested for picking up an antler out of season.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
I still think it's crazy you guys even bother chasing them. If I see one in the bush and it's interesting i might take it but generally leave em in there.

The biggest antlers in the world are just hunks of bone to me if I didn't hunt the animal myself.

Not ripping on you fellas at all, I find it fascinating.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
Does nothing to curtail the year around atv riding, Lycra-clad mountain bikers, or the ranchers grazing the range down to the dirt clods. But yes, do limit the shed hunters. I think CO wildlife managers are using too much of that legalized herb.