Workout plan that compliments a hunter?

The last few months I've wanted to drop some pounds/gain some muscle and get in shape. I want to do workouts that help with backpack hunting but have no idea where to start. Anyone have a good workout plan for this? Also I'm 5'9" and about 160 lbs. Lastly I've started working out but usually quit after a week because I'm not motivated enough so I decided to buy a gym membership which I how will motivate me, any tip for staying motivated?

big44a4

WKR
The best way is to set up dates to hold yourself accountable. I’m more motivated when I have committed to specific hunting trip.

All been there and done that though, no secret to staying motivated. You want it or you don’t. Today I wanted a nap so I made that happen instead of the gym.

For workouts do what’s fun. Instead of cardio I play basketball. Add in low rest supersets to the lifting part of workout as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The motivation needs to come from within knowing what you dedicate before season will help to achieve the end result and make things much easier during the hunt and after. I don’t have a workout plan I follow, I just know you need a good heart, lungs, legs and some form of a full body workout to help overall fitness. I’m in the older crowd so cardio fitness is key. I do some form of cardio 3-4 days a week with an upper lower body workout every other day rotating muscle groups. Find an activity you like and can be consistent with. Good luck👍

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
Ross is right you want it, or you don't. I think the more suckfest's that you put yourself through on the mountain you learn that preparation makes for a more enjoyable outdoor experience. I started working out years ago to improve my physical performance, and over time it has become a way of life.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Ross nailed it. Either you want it or you dont. You don't "lose" motivation, you intentionally deny yourself motivation. I went into one hunting season out of shape about 4 years ago. Worst season I ever had; I was so pissed at myself that I vowed it wouldn't happen again. Like Ross, I play basketball instead of toiling away on the treadmill like a gerbil. I lift every other day, hitting 2 major muscle groups each time. I change up my weightlifting a lot. I find stuff on YouTube, share workouts with friends, just whatever I can do to keep my body on its toes wondering where the next round of torture will come from.
This week I've been loading my pack with 40 lbs after work and hiking 4 miles in the dark after work. Our weather has been abnormally warm, so I'm hiking through slushy snow, ice, and mud. It mimics an early October cold front in the high country, so I'm taking advantage of it.
Good luck on your endeavor. The rewards for staying in shape go way further than enabling a successful hunt. You'll feel better, look better, and your body's drivetrain will last longer.

Wapiti1

WKR
It is hard. No doubt. You have to want it and you have to put other things behind working out. Lunch, nope, I'm working out. First thing after work go to the gym, or when you get home, go for a run, walk the dog, whatever. It becomes a habit that you miss after three or four weeks if you do it regularly. Get a partner that is into it. My wife is a huge help in keeping me going. I lost 40 pounds many years ago because I killed myself on an elk hunt and said no more.

It doesn't have to be a 2 hour gym session. If you only have 30 minutes, make those minutes count. Just doing it is more important than doing it perfectly every time.

Last thing, I don't think that there is a substitute workout for a heavily loaded backpack. I put a 40 pound bag of softener salt in my pack for easy weight, and hit the trails in a state park close to me. If you don't have a park, any place will some hills will work. This is great because it combines family outings with a good workout.

Jeremy

Hall256

WKR
If you want a workout plan that compliments hunters you can look at Atomic Athlete (they posted a free workout on EXO's website), there is train to to hunt workouts, but as another option of a varied workout that carries over to hunting (it is the ones that I folllow) search Google for SFAS Workouts. There are numerous programs that are designed for Special Forces Assessment and Selection (SFAS) prep that will work well for a backpack hunter (a lot of the workout deal with rucking for distance).

As for motivation, others have it pretty well...either you do it or you dont. If pain is a good motivator for you, than do not wait till hunting season to test yourself. Make plans for periodic trips that will test your endurance and strength, this will keep you honest with your workout and it will allow incremental goals to keep you focused/motivated. This is a a tactic that I use for my marathon training. If i waited till October to run the Marine Corps Marathon, I almost certainly would have slipped in my training at some point. However, placing half-marathons throughout the year, I stay focused and end up training better.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
a little accountability can help, a dedicated partner will help if you can find one, if not consider posting in our WOD thread or other forum- it's a good source for different workouts as well

a "program" with balance- aerobic stamina AND muscle tone/strength- you want both

a component often not discussed is rest and recovery- without it you'll never reach your potential and likely be plagued with injuries

it's a new year, best of luck :)

ethan

WKR
This may sound kind of dumb and simple but whenever I want to start or stop doing something I try to just not think to hard on it. If you’re really tired and don’t feel like hitting the gym one day, as soon as you start to “think”about if you really want to go or skip out I think you e already lost. I just don’t consider the option of not going and just go. Pretty soon it’s a habit and I don’t question it anymore.
This may sound really dumb to some guys, but it works for me! I do Crossfit 4 days a week and will do some ruck hikes oe mountain biking or running on weekends. After a bit you start to really enjoy it and it sucks when something legitimately happens and you can’t make a workout, kind of pisses you off even!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I did the mountain tactical institute big game prep program last year and found it very helpful. It’s an intense 8 weeks preseason but looking at the general program I can see mixing in a couple of the routines weekly during the year being helpful without being totally sport specific. For instance box steps with a weighted pack on once a week is good uphill legs with lower intensity cardio.

A friend sent me the attomic athlete EXO link and it was similar but different in ways that didn’t appeal to me based on my preference. I don’t see myself dragging a tire around the neighborhood but I will carry a stout pack around.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
I did the mountain tactical institute big game prep program last year and found it very helpful.

Was going to recommend this. I know they sell a packet of four plans but if one were to buy the Bodyweight, Humility, and the Backcountry Big Game plans they would find themselves very well prepared for hunts and in an exceptional state of general fitness. Plus, none of the mentioned plans require a gym membership. FWIW, I don't use a weight vest for Humility, just a pack.

mtnkid85

WKR
Surround yourself with like minded people. That is with out a doubt the easiest way to stay motivated! Also sign yourself up for a few "races" through out the year, they will act as hard callender dates that will keep you accountable.

Im not motivated at all by competion, racing doesn't really bring out the best in me and I generally dislike being around lots of other folks but I try to go to the local running clubs fun runs, meet up with the Wednesday night bikers and I have a crew of guys who gos out every thursday for a ski tour. I sign up for a race in September that I know I can work towards though out the summer.

Just being around fit people makes you want to be fit.

Clarktar

WKR
Was going to recommend this. I know they sell a packet of four plans but if one were to buy the Bodyweight, Humility, and the Backcountry Big Game plans they would find themselves very well prepared for hunts and in an exceptional state of general fitness. Plus, none of the mentioned plans require a gym membership. FWIW, I don't use a weight vest for Humility, just a pack.

Its a pretty fun program. I am currently doing the Bobdyweight right now, in addition to the basic Wendler 531. With the body-weight foundation work, I try to make the whole thing aerobic, no rest between (besides a quick glug from the water bottle) the training sets. I do rest the prescribed amount during the runs. I can't recommend mtntactical as I have just started, but I can recommend the Wendler program. It is basic and to the point. Good way to start just building base strength, workouts are quick and simple.

Wapiti1

WKR
Sometimes working in seasonal activities is a good way to stick with it. Workout plans like others have offered are great for tuning up, IMO, but they are hard to do all year for me. I cycle between HIIT plans, but when the weather permits, I get out. Snowshoeing, cycling, hiking, anything to break it up a little. The same basic moves day in and out are both boring, and to some extent limiting to your development.

The races thing has also kept me going. That is a great point MNTKID85. I run in Spartan a couple times a year and do a few 5 and 10K's. My work sponsors us in the Spartan for charity and it is a great motivator that stays in the back of your mind. I don't compete with anyone but myself, and just try to beat my last time. Those races are fun and you can get a lot of inspiration from people there. They can be humbling.

If all else fails buy a spendy dream hunt that your ass can't currently back up.

Jeremy

big44a4

WKR
And no matter how great of shape you think you are in when you are on your hunt you will say you want to be better for next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fill my pack with ever-increasing loads and hike in my hunting boots 4-6 miles a day on the hills around my home. I play with how I load my pack to find the optimum way to load it up and but my legs and lungs at the same time. I use this opportunity to communicate with liberals here in So. Calif.

936413_10201230706430807_967075114_n.jpg

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
Find a gym with good eye candy and base your schedule around their cycling, aerobics, and yoga classes. That helps.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m like you-I struggle with motivation. I just don’t really enjoy the working out anymore and haven’t for a while. That being said, I’ve gained some lbs over the last few years, sitting more at a desk now, and injured my knee last year. I’m getting really close to being sick of it, so I’ve been doing a lot of research. I’ve come to a place where I believe I need to find something that works for me. I’m a little lazy and don’t feel like going to the gym and being there for an hour. So, I came across jumping rope and find myself pretty interested. I can get a high intensity workout with a whole lot of variation (if I want it) that should help me burn some calories and not have to take a long session to do it. We’ll see how it goes, but next time I’m climbing a hill and my calves aren’t burning because I’ve gotten in such better shape, I’m hoping that just makes me want to stick with it more. Good luck on finding something that works for you.

Jeremy