Stupid Question O' the Day

Wapiti1

WKR
So, I was granted a bout of the flu over the last couple of days and spent a great deal of time very near a bathroom. This gave me additional time to ponder universe altering questions. It also yielded much time to sit and watch hunting videos on my laptop.

So, I noted an odd thing. On most shows, the guide will wander around with more or less a pair of binocs and maybe a tripod with spotter on it. Maybe a small day pack on occasion. The "hunter" has on everything that Sitka (or their sponsor company) makes and is carrying their weapon along with a 2500-3500 cubic inch pack that is completely stuffed. There is usually also gear dangling from the pack like a GPS, and assorted calls of dubious usefulness.

What are they carrying in the pack?

Jeremy

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
Sponsor endorsement money ?

Always funny the hunter is in Sitka and the guide is in something like original Trebark.

Tracking dogs? Specialized "field dressing" oompah loompahs? Case of Sitka or Kuiu toilet paper along with matching under garments just to prove that no animals can be killed without 5k$ worth of "special" clothes made in china? The possibilities are endless.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
by the looks of most of them fancy boys, those packs are full of cheese puffs and ding dongs.

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
It just made me wonder. They seem to be carrying more stuff than I carry for a DIY day hunt, and you know they aren't miles from a vehicle.

On one well known show that is also tied to a magazine, they were antelope hunting DIY. The man was carrying a set of shooting sticks and a pair of binos. His wife on the other hand looked ready to pull an overnighter on the plains.

Maybe it is a chair to sit in while the guide takes care of the animal?

Not judging all shows, but some are just over the top in trying to sell the shinola.

Jeremy

elkguide

WKR
That's why you're starting to see some of the "real" hunters starting up their own YouTube channel or other platform for their show rather than having to show that without the sponsors special gadget/gizmo/clothing no animal would be able to be taken.

Makes you wonder how all of those old timers ever brought an animal home!

I wonder the same thing when I see a 5500ci pack bulging from the seams. Probably bubble wrap or ghost poop.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have wondered that too when you see this backcountry hunter leave his backcountry camp in place and head out for a day hunt, and his pack is still completely filled and bulkier than mine is with camp on the way in. Very large kill kit?????

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
I figure for the guys really hunting out of a spike camp it is probably uncompressed puffy jackets, rain gear, and as mentioned above some camera gear. Stuff they would actually need.

The ones that get me are the ones that are clearly within a mile of the truck on private land. The guide isn't even carrying an extra layer in most cases. His one flannel is good enough.

Jeremy

And this is why I find people in the woods over prepared or underprepared. This year while hunting my dad and I were about three miles from a road on our way back out when we came across two guys hunting moose. Each one had boots with the laces untied, jackets unbuttoned, and an old kifaru pack (probably equivalent to urban zippy). If they would have killed a bull moose I have no idea how they would have packed it out. To top it off when we got back to the trailhead they left their truck doors wide open. Sorry for the digression.

I see what you mention all the time. I hunt a couple areas where tv shows go and it’s hilarious to see the camera guy not wearing a pack, the hunter decked out with a “pillow” pack, and the guide wearing nothing. Oh and the truck is a couple hundred yards behind them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KMT

WKR
For the reasons above (and many others), I cannot watch even two minutes of a hunting show. I’m obviously in the minority, though, because I think there are at least a couple tv channels dedicated to these types of shows.

Hall256

WKR
For the reasons above (and many others), I cannot watch even two minutes of a hunting show. I’m obviously in the minority, though, because I think there are at least a couple tv channels dedicated to these types of shows.
Hopefully those channels become a thing of the past. I have tried over the years to watch some, and they are just so horrible that I cannot make it through too many episodes.

Not sure if it is a regional thing, but the channels out here focused on whitetail hunting shows almost exclusively , and it was like watching one long, horribly produced infomercial.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MtnOyster

WKR
by the looks of most of them fancy boys, those packs are full of cheese puffs and ding dongs.

hahaha..............................I've got to go with this one!!!!!! way too many lard ass yuppies making (too hard to hunt for their size) videos that are really high fence or 200 yds from a truck with a guide holding their hand, pack full of junk that they will never use and probably wouldn't know how to use if they had to!! But..........................................they are never put that part on film!!!;);):D

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
5Miles, the neighbor to a property I hunt whitetails on blares music all day and night to keep squirrels out of the wiring of his vehicles. So, I have stalked deer with random music in the background. It is a little weird. It doesn't seem to bother the deer, though.

Don't be too hard on them, they are making a living and we are not their target audience. Some folks are fine with a little Metallica while a rutting whitetail is on the prowl. I think Barry White or some smooth jazz is a little more appropriate during the rut, but to each his own.

I just like a little more reality in what is supposed to be a reality TV show. Something more akin to Western Hunter, or Fresh Tracks.

Jeremy