Suggestions for Montana Canoe trip

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
We are planning a family canoe trip to Montana this summer and I’d rather trust folks on Rokslide than general advertised trips from the web. I’m looking for a adventure for my 7 year old daughter, a lab, me and my wife to canoe maybe overnight, fish and camp and just take them out west for a big time. We will be driving from Nashville and foregoing the old beach trip to Florida. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to make this a trip to introduce my daughter to the great western states and their captivating scenery. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a 3 day river raft trip instead? Different camp each night, eat fish caught during the day and with a big raft you can carry a nice shelter and plenty of snivel items.

Mt Al

WKR
I agree with Bruce regarding the raft for safety, room, extra gear. A drift boat also. However, either way you have a ton of options. A nice one with a few rapids is the Yellowstone starting around Livingston. You'll have the Absorkees and Beartooth mountains to the South the whole way. Took some friends fishing there a few years ago and they couldn't keep their eyes off the mountains. IMHO, late season is key to avoid run-off ranging river stuff with a 7 year old. Beaverhead to Jefferson, the Missouri down from Wolf Creek is incredible.

I'm not very familiar with rivers in NW Montana, hopefully others will chime in.

blackdawg

WKR
Missouri River has spots that are canoed, not sure I would want to try it with all the jetboats, rattlesnakes and skeeters. Imho we have much better canoeing waters in our neck of woods than in western states, “pretty sure that will get me strung up on this forum”

Last edited:

Backyard

WKR
Missouri has spots that are canoed, not sure I would want to try it with all the jetboats, rattlesnakes and skeeters. Imho we have much better canoeing waters in our neck of woods than in western states, “pretty sure that will get me strung up on this forum”

Probably shouldn’t even mention the BWCA Wilderness in northern Minn then...

I can recommend Lewis and Clark Trail Adventures. Our family floated the Locsha with them last year and had a blast. They also do canoe trips in the Missouri Breaks among others raft trips in Montana.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Montana on a big boat inspection kick so make sure you thoroughly clean your boat before you leave home. Also, mandatory inspection sites. They will not allow you to use your canoe in glacier national park. Not sure about Yellowstone. Otherwise, many options for a trip. As others mentioned, I would plan later in the summer to avoid high runoff flows.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

frankrb3

WKR
Look into Cliff and Wade Lakes in Southwest Montana, straight West of Hebgen lake. They are both beautiful lakes with wake restrictions for people who put motor boats on the lake. My girlfriend and I paddled our 15' alumacraft canoe all the way to the south end of cliff lake and caught a dozen rainbow trout this spring. There are plenty of places to camp on the lake shore which I recommend. The lakes are very popular and the camp grounds can be full at times. It's a beautiful part of our state with lots of other outdoor attractions in the area to include Lake Hebgen, Earthquake Lake, Henrys Lake (Idaho), Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. Feel free to message with any questions.

I would second some others and for a true 'canoe' trip, head up to the Boundary Waters....actually heading there myself in several months on a family outing. Haven't been there for many years, but it was a trip my dad usually did every other year. Canoe all day; find a nice campground to post up in for the week. Fish all day, eat what you catch. Listen to the loons at night. Can't beat it.

The smith river is an amazing canoe trip. I have done it serveral times and it would be a great trip for kids too. generally flat..some small whitish water that you could walk around. it is one of my favorite trips in montana

DaveC

WKR
I’m looking for a adventure for my 7 year old daughter, a lab, me and my wife to canoe maybe overnight, fish and camp and just take them out west for a big time. We will be driving from Nashville and foregoing the old beach trip to Florida. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to make this a trip to introduce my daughter to the great western states and their captivating scenery. Thanks in advance

Lake options:

Gibson Reservoir in the Bob. Awesome scenery, good road to the put in, good camping off the lake, good dayhiking options. Grizzly potential.
Bowmen or Kintla in Glacier NP. Longish dirt drive in, and you'll need permits to backcountry camp along either lake.

I'd honestly steer you towards leaving the boat at home, saving the gas, and renting some duckies and floating the North Fork of the Flathead from the Canadian Border back to Polebridge. Easy floating, great free camping, true mountain scenery.

OP
TNHunter

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the recommendations!! My 7 year old is a warrior-princess and is looking forward to our trip.

OP
TNHunter

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Missouri River has spots that are canoed, not sure I would want to try it with all the jetboats, rattlesnakes and skeeters. Imho we have much better canoeing waters in our neck of woods than in western states, “pretty sure that will get me strung up on this forum”

Yes we canoe here in TN some and just want to have my little girl experience the western states too. TN is a great place and very beautiful too

Lots of options in the North fork of the flathead river drainage. Bowman lake was mentioned, it is spectacular, but you deffinatley need to be bear aware. The North fork itself has great canoeing on summertime. Then you can explore glacier national park also.