Bowhunting trends?

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
If smart rifles make it in we are truly lost as hunters.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not exactly down with the whole trail camera thing in WY. At least during August I'm not.

HookUp

WKR
Archers can't use a range finding site yet rifle hunters can use a spotting scope mounted to a braked rifle and kill animals over a mile away. Not trying to be a moral compass but hunting needs some regulation to deal with the wave of technology that is coming and what is already here.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The crossbow argument starts to get old after a while. They've been around for thousands of years, compound bows for less than 50. Having owned an archery shop before I will say this, you would help wildlife more by keeping morons out of the woods that buy arrows and broadheads the day before season and laugh when you ask if they're going to practice before they hunt. Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube are littered with videos of guys shooting 100 yards with compounds. Follow up shots are quicker with vertical bows. There are lots of guys who SHOULD be shooting crossbows. You owe it to the animal to make a quick, humane kill shot. Too many people in the woods shooting compounds that took them out of the case when they got to camp. Far more pressing concerns than crossbows.

gelton

WKR
^^^Agree...My dad has a bad shoulder so cant really shoot a compound anymore. This relegates us to Rifle hunts only. Even though we have been playing the points game and have the exact same amount of points, we cant use them during archery because a ML tag usually takes more points than archery. We would both rather hunt elk during the rut but if I use the points for archery he would be a spectator and the year after I would be a spectator during rifle.

BlackFlag

FNG
The crossbow argument starts to get old after a while. They've been around for thousands of years, compound bows for less than 50. Having owned an archery shop before I will say this, you would help wildlife more by keeping morons out of the woods that buy arrows and broadheads the day before season and laugh when you ask if they're going to practice before they hunt. Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube are littered with videos of guys shooting 100 yards with compounds. Follow up shots are quicker with vertical bows. There are lots of guys who SHOULD be shooting crossbows. You owe it to the animal to make a quick, humane kill shot. Too many people in the woods shooting compounds that took them out of the case when they got to camp. Far more pressing concerns than crossbows.

This is the exact reason why I had no intention on hunting otc in AZ this month. I just got the bow on the 6th of this month, it'd be a delusion of grandeur if I thought I was capable of hunting without time on the bow.

If you took baiting with corn away from North Carolina i would bet half would give up archery, and the other half would see a 75% reduction in success rate....thats after the riots and looting.

jmez

WKR
Technology never rests, nor will it. Every single one of us out there today, not using a rock in one hand and a stick in the other is benefiting from and embracing technological advancements in hunting. Yet, when new advancements come out it is going to far, making it too easy, should be outlawed etc. We all live in a glass house on the technology issue.

I take a bit of a different line here. I am not appalled by enhancing shot efficacy for bow, crossbows or rifles. I sort of feel like once someone pulls the trigger or release, I would prefer they hit the target and hit it well. I am not advocating 1000 yard rifle shots or 100 yard bow shots. Simply saying I favor being able to hit well within a personally proscribed range that matches your skills.

I think enhancing the ability to make the shot only affects a small part of the equation and any upward gain in success rates can be offset by short seasons and fewer tags. Truth is, while I don’t favor a crowd in the woods, I do feel like things that expand the pool of hunters or preserve the ability of existing hunters to participate is a good thing. For instance, I know an older hunter with shoulder issues that can’t pull a bow and is happy he now has crossbow privileges after being a rifle guy for years. Trail cameras don’t bug me as much but I haven’t seen the issues that most people complain about back east where I hunt. Smart rifles? Not sure. I hate to see people taking crazy long shots. Something that increased hit probability at a reasonable distance wouldn’t bother me.

Maryland approved "air bows" which is basically a rifle looking thing that shoots arrows for deer this year, don't know how I feel about that.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
If you took baiting with corn away from North Carolina i would bet half would give up archery, and the other half would see a 75% reduction in success rate....thats after the riots and looting.

With all the hand wringing over CWD I'm surprised the biologists aren't causing a fuss about baiting. Of course, going head to head with the corn farming industry would be tough.
It's crazy in my state. Baiting for a turkey is a severe violation and a big fine but baiting for deer is almost an expected part of deer hunting.

vanish

WKR
I'm actually in the middle of writing quite a long article on this. You know, with like facts and data and such. :D

I think the concept of an archery season is misguided. The difference should be along the lines of where the energy to send the projectile comes from and how it is stored. I think the season distinction should be Human Power Vs Gas/Explosive/Electric. There's going to be more weapons built. We now have the "airbow", and the military has railguns. Its probably only a matter of time before there are human held versions of those. Who knows what else people will come up with? From the other end of the spectrum, are you proficient with and want to use an Atlatl during the "human power" season? Go right ahead.

amp713

WKR
Ive always felt there should be a traditional archery season and a traditional muzzy season in Utah. Problem is where do you draw the line for traditional practices? Every opinion may differ, compounds have been around long enough that some people may consider them traditional but a range finder with angle compensation not; Or a spotter or 2 way radios or carbon arrow even...... the problem that I see whenever I have this thought is who am I to tell someone how they should hunt or vice versa?

Things like drones for hunting we can mostly all stand up behind and shut down quickly, but a bow sight like the new garmin set up is drawing some heavy debate.... Personally ill put more time worrying about public access and hunting rights but to each their own....