Going broke from saving money

Last fall I told myself i was done buying hunting clothing, i have enough to cover just about every conceivable weather situation short of meteor showers, i have spent a shameful amount of money on my hoard and I felt like enough was enough.
Then all these damn sales started up and I fell to pieces. Good deal here, good deal there... oooh can’t pass that up. I now think I have enough puffy jackets to cover any temperature and enough rain gear keep me dry through any flood.
Is there a 12 step program for this kind of addiction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
Even before Christmas the sales were really good. If you need a jacket to cover that meteor shower, I'll have a review up shortly.

OP
skaldugwas
Ha, ha, know the feeling, see the doctor named your wife, she will cure the addiction.

Ah, the wife doesn’t care about what i do with my hard earned money as long as my half of the bills get paid. Maybe I need a new wife too?

dotman

WKR
Ah, the wife doesn’t care about what i do with my hard earned money as long as my half of the bills get paid. Maybe I need a new wife too?

Ha, no you don’t, my wife considers my half after bills are paid hers, I just keep forgetting.

Hall256

WKR
You just have to tell her that the deals are so good you cant afford not to spend the money...something about a double negative makes it a positive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
That's consumerism for ya.

You'd kick yourself if you ever realised you didn't need it! I used to spend good money on expensive brands, heck everyone else did so it must be needed.

Long story short I realised my folly and now I doubt I'll go out of my way to buy more camo again, I generally hunt in just drab colours works rifle and archery. I still use the Camo I own but only sometimes.

Each to their own though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm trying to go with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" method right now. I'm selling all of my back up stuff that is just too expensive to maybe never get used. Example: Why do I need a Sitka, Kuiu, Columbia, and Kifaru puffy? On the surface each serves their own purpose given the state, season, camp situation . . . Now I've downsized to a backpacking one and a rifle one. If I can keep that mindset through the next hunting season, then maybe I will break my habit. Only time will tell. Dotman, my wife reminds me constantly that our money is "our" money.

P.S. some of the new Sitka stuff looks sweet!

Mt Al

WKR
Just a suggestion: by constantly announcing to your wife what you're NOT buying on sale, stuff you desperately need, could die without, but you're just all kitted up and, dog gone it, you're not going to buy it. Doing this a few times a week is deliciously manipulative and may make you look like you're suffering for the family, a real penny pincher.

I'm like Back Country Hunter 2 above: done with so much extra crap. I'm down to one pack, heavy for a day pack, tight for 2 - 3 days. Sorted through clothes and have plenty, but less than I used to. Have a layering system that works 70% of the time including goretex overpants and shell. If the temp's going to drop way low, I throw in more puffy gear that's in a stuff sack. Easy peasy, more time and money for getting out the door.

I don't understand, is there a problem here? I mean, as long as you have space at home to store your gear, you're good. I have 3 storage units I move other stuff outta the house into to avoid this dilemma.

Haha I cant tell ya how many items I had in my cart, but never hit the button.
I keep telling myself, you cant mix that Sitka stuff with the First Lite stuff. I seriously almost bought timberline pants like 5 times.
I just kept thinking, Just wait for FL to come out with their own and then get that.
Well here comes the 2018 new items and I am in trouble searching for another excuse to prevent unnecessary spending.

UPS showed up after she went to the post office and brought ne a package from there and simply said, they are both delivering on the same day now?
Oooooops time to settle down, but all them sales.
Tag soup finally had my pant size and pattern in Obsidian, but I found a used pair in the classifieds I ordered instead and saved $100. That's my anticipate reply when she asks what is in the box.

Dobermann

WKR
Yep, I saved so much money this past sales season that I went into debt. Bad move, but boy the gear closest is looking mighty fine!

I think it was: "I just got a gun for my wife... it was the best trade I ever made."

The one I was thinking about referenced his buddy trying to buy a parker double for $15 from his wife while Gene was in the hospital. It was a short piece about a special made catalog for men to show their wives where the prices were marked in code. 2's would 5's etc.

Whisky

WKR
Last fall I told myself i was done buying hunting clothing, i have enough to cover just about every conceivable weather situation short of meteor showers, i have spent a shameful amount of money on my hoard and I felt like enough was enough.
Then all these damn sales started up and I fell to pieces. Good deal here, good deal there... oooh can’t pass that up. I now think I have enough puffy jackets to cover any temperature and enough rain gear keep me dry through any flood.
Is there a 12 step program for this kind of addiction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just need to wake up and learn to be happy with what you got. The timing of this is pretty coincidental. I can't preach about not buying hunt shit yet, as I was/am horrible. Within the last month my mindset changed. I have been reading books and watching podcasts about money and investing, instead of hunting. I finally realized how ridiculous my spending was. A couple weeks ago I went back through every single transaction for 2017 and it was an eye opener. It was probably one of my cheapest years in regards to hunting costs, and it was still a pretty good chunk of money. I have a kid on the way, and have a goal of paying off ALL debts ASAP and get aggressive with investing and creating some sources of passive income. Priorities change. My New Years resolution was to use a budget for the first time in my life. Cut excessive spending and pay off debt.

It's like losing weight. Everyone knows what they need to do to do it, it's just having the motivation and discipline to follow through.

Read the book "Rich Dad Poor Dad", "Total Money Makover" and watch some Dave Ramsey podcasts. If that don't get you thinking, you're not ready to be helped.

Edit to add: my wife is already calling me a cheap ass. Which means I'm off to a good start.