Going broke from saving money

jmez

WKR
Kind of like Whisky said, it is all about you mindset. Even if an item is "on sale" if you don't need it then it is still too expensive. You don't "save" money buying unnecessary things.

The best thing to do is avoid the internet. Then you don’t see the good saleS and you don’t see the new products that come out. Lol

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have been reading books and watching podcasts about money and investing, instead of hunting.

It's never too early (or too late) to start investing. I started when I was 12. Early on, every penny I made went into investing. Later on, I always gave God his share first, then I always paid myself, and everything else down from there. At 52 I am basically retired and can hunt and fish and travel whenever I want. Yep, invest when you're young. That stock account will mean a lot more to you in 30 years than all that worn out "excess" gear. Notice I said "excess"........a man's still got to have fun while living.

It's never too early (or too late) to start investing. I started when I was 12. Early on, every penny I made went into investing. Later on, I always gave God his share first, then I always paid myself, and everything else down from there. At 52 I am basically retired and can hunt and fish and travel whenever I want. Yep, invest when you're young. That stock account will mean a lot more to you in 30 years than all that worn out "excess" gear. Notice I said "excess"........a man's still got to have fun while living.

I agree..
I have been self employed since I was 23, now bivocational, and enjoying life, for very specific reasons

I stuck to a set of rules, lived outside of debt and am enjoying my later years in life doing things I never knew I could.

Rmauch20

WKR
This year I making a list of needs and wants. Needs is probably not even the right word to use.
Need: better puffy coat, garmin inreach, and Short sleeve merino wool T-shirt.
I already picked up a sitka puffy Which is quite improvement over my Kuiu Teton Puffy coat, the garmin inreach Might get put off till next year anyway I don’t think I’ll need it this year, and I’m waiting till Black Ovis get thier kodiak short sleeve back in stock.

Wants: Sitka fanatic hoodie is the main thing and then just a bunch of other stuff that I probably really don’t need.

I literally don’t look at the sales. I unsubscribe and don’t look. The GIF “good idea fairy” used to kill me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boom

WKR
...... i have enough to cover just about every conceivable weather situation short of meteor showers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. That was great.

No other advice available. My wife quashed my spending. : but I can’t complain. Retirement is no longer a pipe dream. :)

Hall256

WKR

Yep, pay your self first...treat investments like a bill. Once I made my investments something I had to pay vice something I would put aside with money i had leftover, it made a huge difference.

Once my "bills" are paid, I know that any money leftover is truly free for discretionary spending...and I gladly spend that money on new gear/hunting. Because as you said, you still have to got to have fun while your living.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
Another member here and I hunt in Idaho our of state. One night at dinner with our wives we were taking about Idaho tag prices. I mentioned that his $700 for Idaho was coming up soon... his wife says hey, I thought you said those tags were $40!

Now, whenever packages of gear show up we just tell our wives we only spent $40 :)