Used crew cab trucks: $12,000 cash, what to look for?

I drove a 1998 flood damaged 1500 Dodge for 232,000 miles and, it might still be running. Good truck but, it must have hated gas. I measured it in feet per gallons.

I drove a 2004 chevy silverado for 221,000 miles of rough life. Worked it hard with virtually zero problem other than a steering arm. Still going strong when I let it go.

I then drove a 2009 toyota Tacoma for 110,000 miles. Great truck but, not made for work. Basically tore it all to pieces trying to do things in it the previous two did just fine at. My fault as they simply aren't made for work. Good truck though.

Now I'm in a ford 2011 f150, chipped out and tuned to run. 140,000 plus and gets 21-22 mpg. Bought it used with 51,000 miles with upgrades already installed. So far, it's the best vehicle I've owned.

In my experience, a toyote tundra is by no means a better truck than any other. A company I worked for that had a fleet of those, told us that the Tundra's cost more to upkeep over 4 years than either the Ford's and Chevrolet's they gave employee's before the tundra's. My buddies who have/do own them will testify the same. There is good and bad in all if them. And, its simply a gamble whether you buy new or used. Good luck and God Bless

Jd259

WKR
I’m a diesel mechanic by trade so I’m partial to them over any gas rig if it were me I would keep my eye out for a 98-02 f250-350 and 150k on those motors isn’t much really there hands down the beat motor ford ever had another option would be a 98-05 dodge with the 24 valve in it there practically bullet proof I have several buddies with over 300k and still runnin like a top I would steer away from the early duramax for one the front end is junk after 100k unless they rebuilt it and second for the injector issues they had up till the early 04. So my vote is a 7.3 Ford at 5.9 Cummins both are bullet proof motors even with high mileage if only the cabs held up as good as the engines lol.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Naw, that thing has seen better days. Had a guy do a head gasket job about a year ago and it ran alright for a while like that, but now there's a significant loss of power and terrible gas mileage. Getting 16mpg and it's a 4 banger. Other minor issues with it as well, but I'm done with it. A guy that can really wrench on it could make it a lot better, but I don't have the time or skill. I've driven that thing a lot in the last 8 years. Honestly looking forward to not driving it anymore.

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that about a Toyota pickup before. I've had so many people stop at my house to ask if my '89 was for sale that I've installed camera's just to keep an eye on it. I even put it in the garage and left the F-350 outside when I had a rash of folks coming by (and I live on a dead end road). I made a comment about listing it for sale for $50k if so many people want it, and one of my daughters said "Would you really sell it even for $50k". And my reply was "I don't know......I would have to think about it for awhile". I get a big smile every time I drive it.

All the newer Tacoma's seem to be built for very small guys. The windows and windshields keep getting smaller and smaller, and I'm seeing that trend in the new Fords and Rams as well.

I paid $10k for my 2001 F-350 XLT CC LB with the 7.3L, 6spd, and 122k miles in 2008. I've put about 100k miles on it since then and it's been a great truck. Most room for a tall family that I've seen. I'd put in a new engine before I'd buy a newer truck these days.

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
A used Nissan Titan fairly low miles would be a good option. The first gen body style has fairly poor resale, but good reliability. The interior is cheap so you’ll probably need seat covers, but that Nissan 5.6 V8 is bulletproof. I’ve put 318k on my Titan before I sold it and wouldn’t have hesitated to drive it cross country at that point. I have a Nissan Xterra now, and have put so far 100k if worry free miles on it with years more and several hundred k more to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackFlag

FNG
A used Nissan Titan fairly low miles would be a good option. The first gen body style has fairly poor resale, but good reliability. The interior is cheap so you’ll probably need seat covers, but that Nissan 5.6 V8 is bulletproof. I’ve put 318k on my Titan before I sold it and wouldn’t have hesitated to drive it cross country at that point. I have a Nissan Xterra now, and have put so far 100k if worry free miles on it with years more and several hundred k more to go

Sorry for the bunny trail, but what year is your Xterra?

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
I work at a dealer and will say as far as year/miles go you can get into a newer ford with lower miles for less money than a Chevy. I am biased towards the chevy as we have been burned many times by the 5.4 ford's on trade in. But I have heard if a person is religious about changing their oil every 3,000 for the life of the engine then they are solid.

BlackFlag

FNG
It’s a 2013 Pro-4x. I picked it up with 6k miles on it and it’s got just over100k now

Cool, you dodged the coolant in the transmission issue the pre 2010's have. I love my Xterra, I've told the Ms. I'll be buried in it.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Cool, you dodged the coolant in the transmission issue the pre 2010's have. I love my Xterra, I've told the Ms. I'll be buried in it.

Yeah I love mine too. I picked up an Army M101a2 trailer that I use with it to haul shit if need be. Since I don’t really need to haul a bunch of weight, I love the combo compared to a pickup. I love being able to sleep in the X in cold weather for example. I was hoping Nissan would do a Pro 4X version of the new Armada. If they do, I’ll probably get one of those and pass the X on to my son when he turns 16 in a few years

I'd stay away from the 6.0 Ford diesel. Stay away from any Ford for that matter. I was an ASE certified mechanic in brakes, suspension and steering for several years. Those Fords were always a pain to repair.

I'd get a used Chevy, Toyota or Nissan for a light duty truck and a Cummins for a heavy duty.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

And if you buy a Cummins, Dodge will give you a piece of crap for free. Mine has 342,000 miles on it. The drive train will outlast the truck.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

CorbLand

WKR
The cummins is a fantastic motor. They are built like tanks and will go for 500,000 plus with basic upkeep. Dodge can't build a front end to save their lives and the body will rust before the first oil change.

I had a 2004 Titan I drove 200,000 miles. Good for first 150,000, really poor after that. Had wiring harness issues to rear door twice, broken exhaust manifolds, front and rear diff issues, etc. Seemed like $5,000 in maintenance costs per yr the last 3 years. Engine and tranny were good though.

For what it is worth, my 1997 F150 with a 4.6 V-8 was a better truck. I bought a 2015 F150 with a 5.0 l V-8 and really like it. Better mileage than the Titan by about 20% and so far, no issues in 3 yrs.

If you are ok with just 15mpg, look for 2004-2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD EXT cab 4x4 w/6-1/2' box and the 6.0 ltr gas engine. Ain't a tougher, more reliable low maintenance truck that can stand next to it. Mine is a 2004 and has been used as a truck, hauling loaded trailers and 2.5 tons of top soil in the box quite often etc etc and driven 80 miles R/T trip daily for work. With 215,000 miles on it that truck hasn't cost me anything in parts or service beyond oil/filter changes every 7500 miles(only ever use Mobil One Extend)and runs quiet. Never replace a single part other than the battery. Matter of fact, just the other day I drove it to work in a 6" snowstorm thinking just how bad-ass this truck is...after all these years and miles....bad-ass as the day I drove it off the dealers lot. So much life left in this truck....and yes the engine is as bullet-proof as they come. With 10ply tires...never a worry about a flat and it rides like a caddy...no kidding. A buddy's dad's has well over 300K on his...same thing, narry a repaired item on it. I'm pretty sure you could find a nice one for 12K with decent miles....and never look back.

Last edited:

mtmuley

WKR
If you are ok with just 15mpg, look for 2004-2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD EXT cab 4x4 w/6-1/2' box and the 6.0 ltr gas engine. Ain't a tougher, more reliable low maintenance truck that can stand next to it. Mine is a 2004 and has been used as a truck, hauling loaded trailers and 2.5 tons of top soil in the box quite often etc etc and driven 80 miles R/T trip daily for work. With 215,000 miles on it that truck hasn't cost me anything in parts or service beyond oil/filter changes every 7500 miles(only ever use Mobil One Extend)and runs quiet. Never replace a single part other than the battery. Matter of fact, just the other day I drove it to work in a 6" snowstorm thinking just how bad-ass this truck is...after all these years and miles....bad-ass as the day I drove it off the dealers lot. So much life left in this truck....and yes the engine is as bullet-proof as they come. With 10ply tires...never a worry about a flat and it rides like a caddy...no kidding. A buddy's dad's has well over 300K on his...same thing, narry a repaired item on it. I'm pretty sure you could find a nice one for 12K with decent miles....and never look back.
You won't find a better gas engine than the LS series 6.0. mtmuley

OP
F
This all great advice guys.
I have a buddy with a 2002 or 03 Chevy and the 6.0 gas engine. He echoed how bomb proof it is, but admitted he’s elated when he gets 13 mpg.
Are the 2003-2005 1500hd with the 5.3 decent? I think it’s a 5.3 right?
Still looking at Ford and Nissan. There’s a 2006 F150 lariat in my price range with under 90k miles nearby. Looks like a nice truck. Probably drive over to Boise in the next week or two.

My parents live in Quebec and offered to buy a truck there and drive it over. The exchange rate is tempting. The prices there are pretty low too. They have a 2011 Tundra with 60k miles listed for $17k US! Very tempting.

Jon C

FNG
I believe the 2003 chevys had a ton of emissions stuff added, couldn't keep check engine lights off. I'd avoid the active fuel management systems like the plaque on later models. Chevy died to me after 2002. Love my Tundra now but had super good luck with my 2000 5.3 chevy the trucks were bullet proof and good fuel economy.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that about a Toyota pickup before. I've had so many people stop at my house to ask if my '89 was for sale that I've installed camera's just to keep an eye on it. I even put it in the garage and left the F-350 outside when I had a rash of folks coming by (and I live on a dead end road). I made a comment about listing it for sale for $50k if so many people want it, and one of my daughters said "Would you really sell it even for $50k". And my reply was "I don't know......I would have to think about it for awhile". I get a big smile every time I drive it.

All the newer Tacoma's seem to be built for very small guys. The windows and windshields keep getting smaller and smaller, and I'm seeing that trend in the new Fords and Rams as well.

I paid $10k for my 2001 F-350 XLT CC LB with the 7.3L, 6spd, and 122k miles in 2008. I've put about 100k miles on it since then and it's been a great truck. Most room for a tall family that I've seen. I'd put in a new engine before I'd buy a newer truck these days.

Sounds to me that the OP is blaming the truck for all the problems caused by a crappy mechanic. I've got an 06 Tacoma, and I love not having a payment. I'd love to have something with more room but I don't want another payment.

colersu22

WKR
If I was in your situation I would get that F350 but when I had my 04 with the 6.0 I did all the work myself to bulletproof it. If the f350 has head studs I wouldn't even think twice since that is the hardest part to replace since you have to pull the cab. I sold my f350 2 years ago with just under 200k for 16,000 so if I could get one for 12k it would be a no brainer for me.

Now with you not sounding mechanically inclined I would go for the F150

OP
F
Sounds to me that the OP is blaming the truck for all the problems caused by a crappy mechanic. I've got an 06 Tacoma, and I love not having a payment. I'd love to have something with more room but I don't want another payment.

I don’t think I blamed the truck for shoddy mechanics job. I fully realize that some of the current loss of power can be traced to my mechanic.
That being said, it has 330k miles. It’s not a crew cab so doesn’t fit the family. Needs some more work than just the engine. It also has no guts, so even towing my drift boat over a mountain pass is a lesson in frustration.
I know a lot of guys love the old yotas. I did and still have a bit of a soft spot for them. Super reliable, but they aren’t the end all be all in my opinion.
If I had some extra funds, I’d spring for a Tundra in a heartbeat.