Toyota Double Cab

Antlers

FNG
I keep seeing truck questions here, so why not...I'm in the market for a new truck and have been looking at the Toyota Double Cab vs the Crewmax cab. I've been leaning toward the double cab since with the crewmax you loose the full size bed. I figure if I ever want to use the bed for camping, I'll need the standard 6.5ft bed (I'm 6'1"). So the question - does the double cab have sufficient space behind the front seat for lots of gear?

If you have a double cab have you ever wished you'd gone with the Crewmax?

big44a4

WKR
I’ve owned both. If you flip seats up there is plenty of room for gear in dbl cab just depends on your definition of “lots.” Also will you ever have other people traveling with you? Why not just sleep in bed of truck with tailgate down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43a46a6933f1039931d574ec94bff438.jpg

OP
A

Antlers

FNG
I’ve owned both. If you flip seats up there is plenty of room for gear in dbl cab just depends on your definition of “lots.” Also will you ever have other people traveling with you? Why not just sleep in bed of truck with tailgate down?

It will be a rare circumstance for me to have folks in the back seat. Just thought it easier in cold temps to keep gate up.

sveltri

WKR
I have a crewmax and haven’t regretted it all, butI have three young kids though. On a road trip from Colorado to Oregon this summer I never got kicked in the back of my seat once, which may sound funny until it’s happened to you. The amount of space in the back seat will hold a ton of gear.

KJH

WKR
I bought a Crewmax solely because of the size of the cab and all the backseat space... Haven't regretted it once. The shorter bed hasn't been an inconvenience like I was worried about.

Good luck.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a 2017 double cab in October.I pulled entire rear seat out & put in storage in the first hour it was home. I then built a two piece platform to clear the Jack support & center ridge so there is storage beneath for items like tire chains, axe, shovel...

I cut a foam pad for top - you could use carpet - for stacking gear or dogs. It made a huge difference in usable space & I could put seat or seats back in with little time or trouble. I never have more than one passenger.

I put a canopy on back & will build a sleeping platform that will be easily folded/removed if necessary. It will also have the ability to be expanded for more room if there are two people.

It is an awesome truck so far and much larger than my Tacoma. Looking forward to many road trips with it.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Jackalope

FNG
The school bus will have a little better resale value if you’re worried about that, but the double cabs have a lot of room. I have a regular cab tundra and even it has a bunch of room behind the seats.

big44a4

WKR
It will be a rare circumstance for me to have folks in the back seat. Just thought it easier in cold temps to keep gate up.

I think the double cab would work. Go see one for yourself if you can. Also if you planned on putting a camper top over the bed, storage room out of weather is the same either way so I’d then go double cab for the sleeping convenience like you said.

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a 2017 double cab in October.I pulled entire rear seat out & put in storage in the first hour it was home. I then built a two piece platform to clear the Jack support & center ridge so there is storage beneath for items like tire chains, axe, shovel...

I cut a foam pad for top - you could use carpet - for stacking gear or dogs. It made a huge difference in usable space & I could put seat or seats back in with little time or trouble. I never have more than one passenger.

I put a canopy on back & will build a sleeping platform that will be easily folded/removed if necessary. It will also have the ability to be expanded for more room if there are two people.

It is an awesome truck so far and much larger than my Tacoma. Looking forward to many road trips with it.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I’ve had a bug to do something similar with a 4 runner. I would appreciate some photos of your work.
Thanks

I had a smaller Nissan with a 5.5 bed. Slept in it a few times with the tailgate down with no issues. Now, I have a double cab with a 6.5 ft bed and my brother in law has the crew max. To be honest I have cab envy. I have younger kids though so end p with back seat passengers enough to want the extra room.

Setting aside back seat passengers, I rarely find myself wanting more bed space or using all I have but fairly often fill up the backseat with gear.

If I were buying I would go crewmax. Also, as someone points out, the crewmax has better resale.

Jethro

WKR
If it will be rare to have people in the back seat, get the double cab and the 6.5 bed. It is still a full back seat so plenty of room for gear and can still haul people, just doesn't have the back leg room like a CrewMax. We drove double cab across the country last year with 4 guys. Resale between the 2 is not that significant of a difference here in eastern PA.

Billinsd

WKR
The bed is 5.5 ft long on crewmax and I'm 6' 0" Is there 6' diagonal? What's the overall length of the crewmax versus the double cab 6.5 bed? Really nice truck. I got a taco that I love, but I'll eventually want a bigger truck for towing. Can't beat the quality of Toyota!!

I have a Toyota Tundra double cab and love it, lots of room in the back with the seats folded down and a reasonable bed length, I think you'll be happy with it. If not, these guys can put an 8 foot bed on a mega cab for you.

Stretch My Truck