Electric Fat Bikes

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mfllood said he was in a motorized area.
I may be wrong but someone told me electric bikes are a no no on non motorized trails here in Idaho? not sure but quite a few hunters were using them last year on hike/mountain bike only trails.
He didn't understand what you meant by trail bike I was simply giving clarification. Yes he is discussing using in a motorized area. E bikes are not legal on national forest trails.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
He didn't understand what you meant by trail bike I was simply giving clarification. Yes he is discussing using in a motorized area. E bikes are not legal on national forest trails.

Thanks,I didn't know that,seems the BLM also considers them to be motor vehicles.

TheTone

WKR
Thx guys, the areas I am reviewing allow travel, its just that some of it is restricted during certain seasons to 50" wide or less. My Ranger is wider. I never understood why that rule was implemented, even here in Utah, when so many already had these vehicles. The Razors were just hitting the market, and it was weird to say the least. My vehicle is like 54". Seriously what is 4" more into a law.
lol

Almost all of the trail width restrictions were implemented or designed before UTV's were really on the scene. I remember plenty of roads/trails that were restricted to 40 inch but later expanded to 50.

I think its really crazy/stupid how the rzr was really designed to meet the 50 inch restriction and then people just go out and add all sorts of crap to them making them wider than 50.

OP
mfllood3800
Almost all of the trail width restrictions were implemented or designed before UTV's were really on the scene. I remember plenty of roads/trails that were restricted to 40 inch but later expanded to 50.

I think its really crazy/stupid how the rzr was really designed to meet the 50 inch restriction and then people just go out and add all sorts of crap to them making them wider than 50.
Side by sides have been a thing in Utah for years
Even the Yamaha rhino my neighbor has, was illegal
He modified it like you said cause they were built too narrow and unsafe he said, then even he was illegal
Lol

Truth is razors weren't even popular until this law, meaning almost everything out there currently was about to be illegal

It's a stupid law
Many of the trails already in existence here had to have Gates put in at 50 inch wide because all of the trails were over that and they couldn't control it so they put narrow gates in to do their best, just plain stupid

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
I agree they weren't as popular as quads but come on,
After a decade of this stupid law, they quit repairing their gates and their signs
Maybe that's just here in our national forest, but that's what I see any way
Stupid law

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree they weren't as popular as quads but come on,
After a decade of this stupid law, they quit repairing their gates and their signs
Maybe that's just here in our national forest, but that's what I see any way
Stupid law

Maybe anything should go it hell it's a Jeep trail

I dunno about you guys but when I wolf down a MH breakfast at 3;30am, take my morning constitution in the dark, start hiking at 4am and arrive at my public hunting area at graylight only to have some jackass tear up a closed road on his quad or motorcycle near me, I'm friggin' livid!

Think about it...how many yahoos on e-bikes do you want racing past you on the trail to your honey hole? Next thing ya know your happy hunting grounds are filled with photographers, picnickers, cache seekers and druggies looking for a remote place to get high and skinnydip.

OP
mfllood3800
It's a still a law that's is stupid
No jeeps are going on the trails these trails, maybe some parts of yours. This law just didn't make sense then and still doesn't now.
Many in out local atv club hemp donate time to clear trails for the forest service, many who own over 50 wide vehicles

I'm not talking make them wide enough for jeeps, we were talking 4 inches.

Here's a thought, the makers of these laws aren't in touch with the population that pays in taxes to keep these forests Open.

4 inches man that's all I'm asking for
Lol

OP
mfllood3800
I dunno about you guys but when I wolf down a MH breakfast at 3;30am, take my morning constitution in the dark, start hiking at 4am and arrive at my hunting area at graylight only to have some jackass tear up a closed road on his quad or motorcycle near me, I'm friggin' livid!
That's a totally different argument than what this post is even about.
Geeez,

OP
mfllood3800
When I eat mountain house I quit writing the morning constitution

OP
mfllood3800
When I hike in 4 miles and then put a 3 hour stalk on a mule deer with my Muzzleloader only to have some guy shoot across the canyon at 600 yards with a $ 4000 scoped muzzle loader, that bothers me too but that's not what this post is about......

OP
mfllood3800
I've had yahoos 5 miles in on foot

Guess I gotta go 6 miles now
Lol

He Walked right to me saw me turned went right where elk come from

OP
mfllood3800
Ha ha
Don't blame the vehicle for what people do

Everytime this subject comes up, instead of answering the question on what bikes are best and what features are helpful, the thought police come out and tell everyone how evil ebikes are and how they will ruin hunting and the mountains as we know it. If you cant or wont spend the money on a bike, just respect everyone elses interest and sit out the conversation. Sorry, this holier than thou crap just drives me nuts.