Electric Fat Bikes

Anybody know what models to STAY AWAY from
I am looking at possibly implementing one in my old age hiking procedures, where horse trails are all there is. One of these may well extend my archery hunts another 10 years.
They are just too $$$ to get one and regret it.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
A friend of mine who is obsessive about the best gear did extensive research and went with the Rambo and largest battery. Deciding factors were the higher quality components over all other bikes.

OP
mfllood3800
yes Rambo appears to be on top Thx for the info.

I looked at that Rambo 1000 something(?)
It is sweet but around $4K

That caused me to search for others and then I found the cheaper $1500. but not the best reviews. Which led me here wondering what the real world experiences were.

Thx again I appreciate it.

FYI: unless you're hunting on private property, an e-bike is likely prohibited where you wanna hunt. No mechanized equipment allowed, I looked into it.

TheTone

WKR
If I was to get one I would stick to those made by established bike builders, not some of the new companies that have sprung up offering them. I've ridden a few different ones and of those I've ridden the trek and specialized models were way way ahead of the others in terms of quality and components. That said using them in areas that aren't open to motorized travel is looking for trouble.

OP
mfllood3800
Thx guys, the areas I am reviewing allow travel, its just that some of it is restricted during certain seasons to 50" wide or less. My Ranger is wider. I never understood why that rule was implemented, even here in Utah, when so many already had these vehicles. The Razors were just hitting the market, and it was weird to say the least. My vehicle is like 54". Seriously what is 4" more into a law.
lol

I just don't want to drop the $$ on another side by side that in my opinion is less efficient in hunting. I can throw a whole spike elk in the back of my ranger, with my bow, and other stuff, the razors are too small.

I saw some negative reviews on the off brands and have steered away from them. I noticed Rambo and Specialized, but will review and check out the others as well- thx.

OP
mfllood3800

Thx Cnelk , here is a phrase from the code in his link.....

rules stipulate that low speed electric bicycles[30] (to include two- and three-wheel vehicles) are exempt from classification as motor vehicles providing they have fully operable pedals, an electric motor of less than 750W (1 hp), and a top motor-powered speed of less than 20 miles per hour (32 km/h) when operated by a rider weighing 170 pounds.[31] An electric bike remaining within these specifications will be regarded simply as a bicycle for purposes of federal law.

But again, some of the areas I am concerned with are open to motorized vehicles anyway- just gotta be 4" narrower than my ranger.

OP
mfllood3800
I believe the rambo is the king of the hill on the bikes

if you need pricing just let us know

Thx for this,
I see the law permits these if they are under 750 watts
So that will be my target goal or even the 500w bikes.
For me its battery life and low gears that matter, as well as durability of course.

I will hook up with soon.

wapitibob

WKR
"The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Code of Motor Vehicle Safety states that electric bicycles and tricycles meeting the definition of low-speed electric bicycles will be considered consumer products to be regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in the same manner as ordinary bicycles, and are not considered motor vehicles under U.S. DOT and NHTSA regulations.[28][29]"

This regulation has zero impact on Forest/BLM/State travel management regulations. good luck

OP
mfllood3800
"The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Code of Motor Vehicle Safety states that electric bicycles and tricycles meeting the definition of low-speed electric bicycles will be considered consumer products to be regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in the same manner as ordinary bicycles, and are not considered motor vehicles under U.S. DOT and NHTSA regulations.[28][29]"

This regulation has zero impact on Forest/BLM/State travel management regulations. good luck

As stated my trails are already motor vehicle approved. But they have a width limit that my current vehicle doesn't meet.
I figure a bike will be ideal here as well as in some other places I know of.

IdahoElk

WKR
As stated my trails are already motor vehicle approved. But they have a width limit that my current vehicle doesn't meet.
I figure a bike will be ideal here as well as in some other places I know of.

Why not get a trail bike? better power, range and way better price.

OP
mfllood3800
Why not get a trail bike? better power, range and way better price.

I prefer e power and pedal.
I already have a mountain bike, that is decent - it is a Specialized brand.

I am assuming you are referring to a fat tired pedal trail bike- ?
If so I have something like that, but I want an e bike for what I am looking at doing. It will help me here in Utah as well. I have logged many miles, bought and sold horses for these purposes. But an e- bike would fit the bill perfectly.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trail bike is a motorcycle. E bikes are allowed on Utah state lands anywhere a regular pedal bike is. I don't agree but its current policy. I actually would get one but being outlawed in national forests it's doubtful I could get 4000 of value out of it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Trail bike is a motorcycle. E bikes are allowed on Utah state lands anywhere a regular pedal bike is. I don't agree but its current policy. I actually would get one but being outlawed in national forests it's doubtful I could get 4000 of value out of it.

Hmm motor cycle. I just sold my KX500. I raced moto X for years and cant do the riding thing enough to justify having it.
I have been looking for a fuel inj 4 stroke enduro though. This may be an option , as Real Unlucky said, getting $$ back out of what the ebike costs will be rough.

The technology today is running fast into the lithium battery ability. In many ways they are as efficient as combustion engines.
The laws regarding e bikes will need a serious look. They are not much different now a days than combustion engines.
But if the laws allow me to use it, I will.

I have access to endless private property in AZ and am contemplating this one if I can figure out a custom rack that's brilliant to take the weight off my back. It's more an e-motocross bike than others and far more robust while still silent. Can take any hill you throw at it and goes 40mph if ordered w/o the regulator...otherwise it's 25mph max. https://lunacycle.com/luna-sur-ron-dirt-mx-ebike/

Sur_Ron-8__44179.1513042993.jpg

Last edited:

IdahoElk

WKR
I prefer e power and pedal.
I already have a mountain bike, that is decent - it is a Specialized brand.

I am assuming you are referring to a fat tired pedal trail bike- ?
If so I have something like that, but I want an e bike for what I am looking at doing. It will help me here in Utah as well. I have logged many miles, bought and sold horses for these purposes. But an e- bike would fit the bill perfectly.

I was thinking more like a Yamaha TW 200 with racks.I sometimes use my trials bike but have friends with the TW and they're quiet and can carry more weight than a mountain bike.
Mountain bikes are cool but the terrain where I live doesn't allow you to use one safely.

IdahoElk

WKR

Mfllood said he was in a motorized area.
I may be wrong but someone told me electric bikes are a no no on non motorized trails here in Idaho? not sure but quite a few hunters were using them last year on hike/mountain bike only trails.