Electric Fat Bikes

OP
mfllood3800
Everytime this subject comes up, instead of answering the question on what bikes are best and what features are helpful, the thought police come out and tell everyone how evil ebikes are and how they will ruin hunting and the mountains as we know it. If you cant or wont spend the money on a bike, just respect everyone elses interest and sit out the conversation. Sorry, this holier than thou crap just drives me nuts.

I am sometimes guilty of this myself. We are driven by our convictions and passions and often express them in response to questions that are asked, even though our conviction doesnt help answer, yet they express our concern about the topic in general.

Some of the guys who chimed in are great guys with tons of back country experiences. I was anti many things years ago to. Then I got older, started having chronic back issues, and other health concerns. Now I cant do everything I used to. Yet I still want to hunt where and when I used to, so now I look for other ways to get it done, within the law. Some of my choices border the very things I used to be against.

I bought 2 horses a few years back as a means to continue hunting the mountains here. I took them out, used them and it was meeting the need. But I couldn't ride them as often as they needed to keep them behaving properly. My back just hurt too much. Plus getting hay and loaded and unloading, shoveling manure out of the pen, my back said no more.
- One time I had them up at 10,000 + feet, and we passed what must have been a bear scent, they went nuts. I was fortunate to get them back to the trailer, it was a real rodeo. I had to sell them.

That's where the mountain bike idea came from. I can use my side by side in some places, but in many it is illegal.
Despite others rightful opinions, Ill do what I want.
I don't fret them for having theirs or expressing them.
I'm still gonna do what I need to, to stay out hunting as long as I can.

Heck one day, I may have to hunt with a guide, on a farm.

OP
mfllood3800
I have access to endless private property in AZ and am contemplating this one if I can figure out a custom rack that's brilliant to take the weight off my back. It's more an e-motocross bike than others and far more robust while still be silent. https://lunacycle.com/luna-sur-ron-dirt-mx-ebike/

Sur_Ron-8__44179.1513042993.jpg
I saw these
Cool looking bikes
Id probably start racing rather than hunting on one of these
Lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Everytime this subject comes up, instead of answering the question on what bikes are best and what features are helpful, the thought police come out and tell everyone how evil ebikes are and how they will ruin hunting and the mountains as we know it. If you cant or wont spend the money on a bike, just respect everyone elses interest and sit out the conversation. Sorry, this holier than thou crap just drives me nuts.

Good post

If someone wants to start a post on the legitimacy of e-bikes in hunting, well, get after it.

Is that a long drive or more of a short putt? :cool: I wasn't sure of the OP knew about the severe restrictions on ebikes in the backcountry so I informed him (which he needed to know and appreciated). I am planning to use one on private land but support the restrictions on public land. Not because I'm "holier" but because I'm practical. The few pristine places left for us hunters will vanish completely if you allow easy access to people. Animal herds are already stressed enough IMHO. But we can agree to disagree, right?

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good post

If someone wants to start a post on the legitimacy of e-bikes in hunting, well, get after it.
It's important to understand how their use is governed. Tons of misinformation out there you don't want to spend 4k and not be able to use where you thought you could.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No worries Bruce. Im just a little sensitive on the subject. I asked a question like this (on another site),got 1esponse from someone who had a bike and two pages worth of scarlet letter- "for shame" type lectures.
I kinda equate it to asking about fine double rifles and instead of allowing people who own double rifles to respond, the post gets dragged down the hole of " your gonna be in deep doo doo if you use that for rat control in downtown wherever, or you know it will be illegal to use for wingshooting geese you know so why would you want it.
I know thats a bit over the top, but it clearly illustrates the point. If one has the means or desire to own something and wishes to research features, ill leave it up to them to be a "responsible" owner.

OP
mfllood3800
Luna cycle seems to be the place to check out - E bikes and conversion kits alike. The Rambo bike appears to be another decent set up.

A friend has built two for prob 6-700 over the cost of the bikes he bought. One klein and one specialized downhill bike. I rode the specialized for about 20 miles over thanksgiving. It was freaking badass! Looking to get one built off an old full suspension stumpjumper frame i have by turkey season.

OP
mfllood3800
A friend has built two for prob 6-700 over the cost of the bikes he bought. One klein and one specialized downhill bike. I rode the specialized for about 20 miles over thanksgiving. It was freaking badass! Looking to get one built off an old full suspension stumpjumper frame i have by turkey season.
Mine isn't a true suspension bike, it has ok front suspension
But no rear suspension at all

I am still going to calculate costs and weigh the options out

08746424d0d998dd004c98c2b705a764.jpg
19728ae281543b0a62d09a0ec4cf134d.jpg
a7711bca03720fe46a4a69dd5680ddb5.jpg
c141fc2b400c21044d3e8d38abbb496c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The specialized turbo levo frame is based off the stumpjumper. If you haven't already may I suggest you look at electricbikereviews.com lots of good info on ebikes there and real good video reviews on all kinds of ebikes, can also be found on YouTube. The levo is nice bc you can control three power levels and the amount of power put out by each level. The levo is a peddle assist, no throttle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
The specialized turbo levo frame is based off the stumpjumper. If you haven't already may I suggest you look at electricbikereviews.com lots of good info on ebikes there and real good video reviews on all kinds of ebikes, can also be found on YouTube. The levo is nice bc you can control three power levels and the amount of power put out by each level. The levo is a peddle assist, no throttle.

I appreciate that and I did go look at a lot of reviews. I don't want the pedal assist and definitely want the throttle.
I'm getting things narrowed down and will then sit on it for a while and finish my findings, and then decide how to pay for it. lol

You certainly dont need full suspension and you can build on that frame now and just switch out later. Its definitely something you can switch and update and adapt to your likings later.

I rode a commercial hybrid bike that he had bought for his wife also. I hate to admit it, but the cushy grandmas couch of a seat was super comfy. Just dont tell anyone.

OP
mfllood3800
I rode a commercial hybrid bike that he had bought for his wife also. I hate to admit it, but the cushy grandmas couch of a seat was super comfy. Just dont tell anyone.

Haha The bike in the back ground in my picks is my wifes specialized- same as mine just purply pink and has a cushy grandma seat.
I wish First Lite would come out with a set of bicycle pants in cipher
:)

I have an AMAZING business idea so keep this under your hat. Grizzly and wolf skin seat covers for granny seats...INSTANT legitimacy. This will be the last time anyone makes fun of a man who values comfortable butt cheeks.

I could definitely use a granny seat on my bike. Another idea for those looking at these bikes is to demo them before hand, most places will demo bikes.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Old Post but wanted to share. I just took the dive on a Juggernaut Ultra 1000 - 48V 20Ah / Wren Inverted Suspension Fork / 1000W I upgraded it to 4 piston Hydraulic brakes also. I ordered it with 29 inch 3 inch wide MTB Wheels this frame and forks can support 26 inch 4inch wide or 27.5 inch 4 inch wide wheels also.

Here is what Im waiting on

Juggernaut Ultra 1000
– Biktrix

Did alot of research on them and got to talking to the owner of Biktrix who was super nice and easy to deal with.

1000W rated, 1500W (peak) power
Torque assist + PAS (cadence assist) + Throttle
1-9 programmable levels of assist
35mph top speed
160Nm of torque
Includes Mozzo front fork
Shimano Deore 9sp transmission
400lbs load capacity
20-80 mile range based on battery choice
Includes front & rear fenders
Includes rear rack
Weight: 65 lbs

I elected to do Kuiu Verde Camo on the bike which was an extra 300$ Here is what it will look like. This is the Ultra full suspension Mine is a hardtail with Wren front suspension

Last edited:
Looks real nice, once you get yours, you'll have to post a pic of it, since it's a hardtail. The range is very impressive as well.