Donald Trump Jr and Jason Hairston Sheep Hunting

JWP58

WKR
Good video, i enjoyed it.

Ive never seen Chelsea Clinton drop a stone sheep above tree line with two great shots.....but who knows maybe she's an advocate for hunting and public land like Don Jr.

zia

FNG
My son Matt was the videographer on that hunt, he filmed all you saw except a few frames of Brendons archery ram. Matt said the hunt was intensely physically and mentally challenging but that DTJ, Brendon and Jason were splendid companions in all weathers. Matt was surprised that DTJ was usually the first up the mountain and in great shape. They did run out of food and had to eat sheep-on-a-stick. When they got back to civilization Jason spent 500 dollars at the first convenience store they saw.

Last edited:

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Hunters picking on hunters again. Don’t let envy or hate get in the way of this opportunity to appreciate it could be a positive thing for hunting. I know many on here do not like Jason, fine, but that should not cloud the fact that this relationship is a positive for Hunting. The problem is that many on this board have bashed this situation with Jason so much it isn’t that this community (Rokslide) cannot even reach out to him to try and influence what is communicated to Don Jr. maybe Jason is a jerk, lots of them in the world, but sometimes you have put aside differences about style and tactics and win the war. Just for a foot note, I have never met Jason and own one pair of KUIU pants. I am not a fan boy before that one gets tossed out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I don’t often volunteer it but I have no use for any KUIU, including Jason. That said this video was very well done.

LaHunter

WKR
Just watched the video. Very well done.
Zia, your son did an outstanding job capturing this hunt on video.

OP
NevadaZielmeister
Speaking of jealousy, I am super green jelly about something no one has talked about.

I wanna be the Secret Service Agent (or three?) who got to on this hunt AND GET PAID TO DO IT!! If I was younger.. would make me think a bit more about government service jobs in a totally different way. Unicorn job, I know.. but hey.. a guy can dream, right?

OP
NevadaZielmeister
My son Matt was the videographer on that hunt, he filmed all you saw except a few frames of Brendons archery ram. Matt said the hunt was intensely physically and mentally challenging but that DTJ, Brendon and Jason were splendid companions in all weathers.Matt was surprised that DTJ was usually the first up the mountain and in great shape. They did run out of food and ate sheep on a stick. When they got back to civilization Jason spent 500 dollars at the first convenience store they saw.

Zia, please forward my compliments to your son Matt for filming such a great video. My wife, who is not super into hunting yet, made me watch it again so she could see it. She liked the video. It is videos like this that make it easier for the family guy to get out there and enjoy what we love.

I also REALLY appreciate the insider viewpoint, giving us a better perspective of what people like Trump Jr. are like. We can all make assumptions, yes, but there is some grain of truth, in that no one is a hero to their butler. Thank you for this inside perspective.. thank you.

MattB

WKR
while i am happy we have a person with some influence hunting, and even hunting some public land (possibly) I do not think he has anything in common with most of us, has any interest in preserving the type of hunting most of us participate in, or really gives two turds about the general hunting population. my opinion is he would be perfectly happy with the demise of most wildland if he or his cohorts made a profit from it. he can always fly and pay ridiculous sums of money to hunt to someplace where we will never have that option. Hopefully I am wrong.

Do you have anything substantive on which to base those opinions?

Every friggin person a live that hunts wants to protect public lands. Every single one of them. It’s beyond ignorant to suggest otherwise.

You know, you party pushing hunters would be taken far more seriously and, carry much more authority with your argument, if you weren’t so dang radical in your thoughts. Just once take something for face value and save that dumb crap from common sense ears. There is nothing being done by this administration nor, Don JR that threatens hunting on public lands. For goodness sakes, give it a friggin break.

wapitibob

WKR
Every friggin person a live that hunts wants to protect public lands. Every single one of them. It’s beyond ignorant to suggest otherwise.

You know, you party pushing hunters would be taken far more seriously and, carry much more authority with your argument, if you weren’t so dang radical in your thoughts. Just once take something for face value and save that dumb crap from common sense ears. There is nothing being done by this administration nor, Don JR that threatens hunting on public lands. For goodness sakes, give it a friggin break.

Transferring Federal lands to the States has the potential to severely impact hunting in the West, especially NM and CO.

I'm interested to get an opinion on why people think rich people hunting actually does anything positive for hunting? From what I have seen rich people hunting usually polarizes hunting more than anything and the anti groups usually use high profile people hunting to push their agenda.

I only ask because there are a lot of comments that appear to imply that these two hunting in some way is good for hunting. I personally don't see it as good in a sense that it really does nothing for the average hunter.

I should add that I don't have anything against these guys, don't know them. If I was invited I would have gladly went along.

MattB

WKR
I'm interested to get an opinion on why people think rich people hunting actually does anything positive for hunting? From what I have seen rich people hunting usually polarizes hunting more than anything....

The polarization is because the rich castigate the "not rich", right?

Not sure if you noticed, but Donald Trump, who is among the least qualified people to be president, is president.

No the polarization is because those in the lime light are easy targets for anti platforms. Not sure what Donald Trump has to do with my question but, thank you for answering my question with something on my topic.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Some if you are too much. Take the positives!

1. Teddy Roosevelt was not a pauper. He did some good for sportsmen I believe. Just because you are rich does not mean you are intrinsically evil. I have an acquaintance that did some video on another on of Don Jr’s hunts. He said DJTJr was a good guy and would hunt with him any time. That’s pretty high praise in my book.

2. Sheep hunting is never easy (my avatar ram came after 50 brutal miles of backpacking) and that film did a very good job of showing the true essence of it. I’m not a big fan of JH but I look past that because he does put out some excellent documentation of mountain hunting.

3. Having a serious hunter as the son of the President is infinity better than having an ANTI hunter as the son of the President!

JWP58

WKR
The polarization is because the rich castigate the "not rich", right?

Not sure if you noticed, but Donald Trump, who is among the least qualified people to be president, is president.

Not sure if you noticed, but the triggered sub forum can be found over on cnn.com #getoverit

Last edited:
First tell us one thing Don Jr and Jason have done to reduce hunting access and how they portray it in a negative way? Last I checked neither are in this position to make legislation or determinations on this. Not sure what they have done to make hunting look bad in your opinion.
As I'm sure you read I said nothing about those two reducing access. As for casting hunting in a negative light, how about Hairston's Instgram kissing the dead sheep or DJTJ with the elephant tail. I don't particularly care if folks want to go to Africa and shoot pen-raised lions, not my bag but if it's legal and ethical, knock yourself out. What I am more concerned about is how non-hunters perceive hunters who are ethical and follow the law. Unfortunately people are going to try and relate backcountry elk hunting with African elephant hunting and we will be worse off. I'm not advocating the end of African hunting, perhaps a bit more humility and education from the folks who participate in all hunting to non-hunters (aka the folks who will decide the future of hunting).

541hunter, thanks for the links. Regarding the first one, most NM's already allow hunting/fishing so for some proclamation about the right to hunt/fish there is giving me something I already have. Didn't know about the Nevada wilderness, appreciate the info. As for the last one, while on it's face seems okay, I've grown cynical enough that anything with Rob Bishop involved smells funny. This administration is weakening so many "burdensome" environmental regulations, ignoring their own scientists and throwing a monkey wrench into other collaborative projects (Sage grouse anyone) that anything they offer seems to me to be more of a distraction while they open up our public lands to extraction above all other uses. Perhaps Montana's storied history of the extraction industry taking the gold and giving us the shaft has soured me on these folks doing the right thing.

So to circle back, good for DJTJ that he hunts and love it perhaps as much as I do. I just haven't seen much from this administration that he is influencing the pres on very many positive changes for wildlife, habitat and public lands. Need the first two to make the third worth a damn.