Donald Trump Jr and Jason Hairston Sheep Hunting

Trial153

WKR
agree with the above post. I tbink we also do ourselves a disservice by our use of labels and blind affilations.
The truth is that neither party represents us very well.

JWP58

WKR
How about a dedicated space on Rokslide for discussion of public land issues? Hunters will always follow the topic. People could then participate or avoid the topic, because it could be kept out of other threads.

If you really need to get your b*t@h on about public lands, id direct you to tge hunttalk forum. They have a public land forum devoted to trump and zinke hating. Just dont step on any toes (and by that i mean offer any opposition thinking or question the almighty powerful) or youll be banned (or just have your password changed instead of being banned...and then being banned when you actually point out the chicken-shitness of that move).

Its a great forum............

once I shot a flying duck- dead
I remember hitting a deer running broadside at over 50 yards, with a 12 ga slug- dead

Every ones idea of what's ethical is at a different level, depending on experience, practice, and ability.
In the words of Aron Snyder, "some folks shouldn't ethically take a 20 yard shot with a bow".

Flying duck with a shotgun and a broadside deer both seam a lot more ethical (to me) than that ram running directly away from him. I totally agree that ethics are different for everyone, but I just cant see how anyone could take that shot with a degree of certainty that they were going to make a good clean kill.

Flying duck with a shotgun and a broadside deer both seam a lot more ethical (to me) than that ram running directly away from him. I totally agree that ethics are different for everyone, but I just cant see how anyone could take that shot with a degree of certainty that they were going to make a good clean kill.

I'm not sure what the debate here is. He evidently felt confident in the shot, the sheep died fast...

Large caliber guns on medium sized game in this type of country...often lend themselves to high recovery rates even on less than ideal, but fatal shots. Pair that with probably $40-$50K on the line and last day of the hunt...???

I'm not advocating everyone do it... or for that matter anyone do it.... but he did, and theres a quick clean kill on camera. It's easy to armchair quarterback...

excellent video in some amazing country

bradb

WKR
Thought it was a very good video. Hunted with Gundahoo for moose a handful of years back, Art and Crystal are great people and a great operation. I saw Mike Foresth(think he post here, super guy) that his son was the video guy

You missed the point- I was adding humor to a thread gone into emotional menopause. My point was your ethical shot is different than others. Don't accuse them of something you wouldn't do just cause you wont. You don't have that right. No way you can point out someone elses choices as being wrong just cause they are wrong for you. This topic is not considered an absolute truth, rather one with many variables depending on ones ability and experience.

You missed the point- I was adding humor to a thread gone into emotional menopause. My point was your ethical shot is different than others. Don't accuse them of something you wouldn't do just cause you wont. You don't have that right. No way you can point out someone elses choices as being wrong just cause they are wrong for you. This topic is not considered an absolute truth, rather one with many variables depending on ones ability and experience.
Again I agree, and my intent was never to point fingers or say that he shouldn't have taken that shot. I was more curious about what others would have done.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GLB

WKR
People make unethical shots all the time because they-Have the gun shop sight their rifle in-or they can keep 2 out of 3 on a pie plate at 100 yards but good out to 300 and etc... Some shooters have skills and practice shooting to make the ethical shot whatever that is to them.

Ive never been comfortable shooting at running animals, especially with that sharp of an angle heading away. All of my practice is at fixed targets, how would one go about practicing moving rifle shots?

Ive never been comfortable shooting at running animals, especially with that sharp of an angle heading away. All of my practice is at fixed targets, how would one go about practicing moving rifle shots?

Go rabbit hunting, shoot coyotes on the way in and on the way out of a stand. It is pretty easy to get practice if you go out in the field often and try to.

JWP58

WKR

Great, then when you're on the last day of your stone sheep hunt, don't take the shot. You've never been to a range with hydraulically ran moving targets? Gee, I don't think you ethically train.

zia

FNG
Thought it was a very good video. Hunted with Gundahoo for moose a handful of years back, Art and Crystal are great people and a great operation. I saw Mike Foresth(think he post here, super guy) that his son was the video guy

Thank you for the kind words bradb. Regardless of your political preferences the great equalizer is the mountain. It doesn't care if you are rich, poor, gay, straight, black, white or brown. The mountain will test you, humble you and maybe even kill you...come hunt, hike, climb and truly live in its embrace but know it doesn't give a flying F who you are. Matt texted me during the hunt with his garmin...." we killed a ram this evening, it's 1:00 am and we are still 9 miles from camp". My response....
"glad you are young son!"

Last edited:
Great, then when you're on the last day of your stone sheep hunt, don't take the shot. You've never been to a range with hydraulically ran moving targets? Gee, I don't think you ethically train.
What does the last day of the hunt have to do with it? Is it more ethical to take poor shots later in your hunt?

Like I said before I was just curious what others would do in that situation. I wouldn't take the shot but was not criticising those who would.

Do ranges with hydraulics exist, that sounds fun and would be awesome training. We have limited access to good shooting ranges here.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Great video and some nice rams.

I watched the video because I like mountain hunting and this was well done.

I don't give a rip about all the other "issues" being discussed as they don't really relate to this thread.

I'm grateful Trump, Jr. and his brother are hunters, how can that be bad for hunting?

And Jr. shoots his rifle pretty damn well.

Thanks for sharing the vid.

JWP58

WKR
What does the last day of the hunt have to do with it? Is it more ethical to take poor shots later in your hunt?

Like I said before I was just curious what others would do in that situation. I wouldn't take the shot but was not criticising those who would.

Do ranges with hydraulics exist, that sounds fun and would be awesome training. We have limited access to good shooting ranges here.

So you don't practice every possible situation? I'd say that's unethical of you.

P.S. your troll game is weak

Again I agree, and my intent was never to point fingers or say that he shouldn't have taken that shot. I was more curious about what others would have done.

I’d smoked him. Hunting involves killing. Killing involves we project our arrow or bullet into the vitals of an animal. In order to do that, we must shoot. There was nothing unethical about that shot. Do it 10 times and the animal will fall dead right there 9 of those times. It’s almost a complete fluke that the ram ever moved. Any center body hit from dead behind with a rifle, takes luck not to hit the nervous system of the animal. There was not one ounce of unethical in his choice.

Last edited:

I get it, you're not casting stones... just curious.

Last day of the hunt for me would mean.... you don't have time to wait for circumstances to be perfect. It's the only legal ram they've seen since he's been the shooter, it's bugging out possibly to never be seen again so though conditions aren't ideal, if you're going to pull the hook... this might be the best chance. Here's where I trust my range time, rifle and bullet. I think I read on his blog (when they had it) when he was shooting a boswell it was in a 300wsm. If he's shooting a similar round in a very accurate rifle and has sufficient range time.... the gun and (likely) bullet are going to go above and beyond, it's just up to the shooter at this point which he proved he's capable and therefore ethical.... in my mind