Pack service

gabenzeke

WKR
Has anyone ever used a pack service to bring themselves and their own gear to a hunting area? Anybody have a good one they can recommend? Looking at OTC units in central/northern CO area. Looking at various websites, the prices are all over the place. Some websites haven't been updated in years. Just looking for a good experience with my dad for a reasonable rate. Guessing guys that spend that much time in the mountains to get good at this don't spend much time on their computer, which explains some of the sketchy websites, but figured I'd ask here. Oh, archery elk is what we're after.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
Can't add a whole lot except I know the outfitter that operates in the Unit I hunt in Idaho will pack an Elk out of anywhere for $500, you just have to get it to a spot his Horses can access.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Can't add a whole lot except I know the outfitter that operates in the Unit I hunt in Idaho will pack an Elk out of anywhere for $500, you just have to get it to a spot his Horses can access.
That's not a bad deal. Has a guy tell me a pack out would require 8 horses and was going to cost at least 1800 depending on if it took them one or two days...

Around here you have to contact the guide service and put up $800, non refundable before your hunt. If you call them and ask for them to pack you out once your animal is down it jumps to $1250.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
We were in a pinch for time and we paid an outfitter $500 to pack out two bulls last fall. It took 5 horses (2 per bull, 1 for the wrangler). It was about 4 miles back and we were staying in a base camp near the trailhead so no camp to pack out. It only took him the afternoon though. This was south west CO.

Where I am at, it's $500 for a pack out. I always touch base with an outfitter in my area before heading in, and have his cell. I've never been in a pickle enough to have to use them, but it's nice to have them on call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
That's not a bad deal. Has a guy tell me a pack out would require 8 horses and was going to cost at least 1800 depending on if it took them one or two days...

Was he using shetland ponies?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Not sure. I got the impression that it just wasn't something he wanted to do and if he was going to do it he wanted a ton of cash for it.