Hunting and Cabins around Flathead Lake area

deadwolf

WKR
Hey all, looking to pose a question to those of you in the know or who may live or have hunted in the area around Flathead Lake, MT. I know there are a lot of "back country" hunters here on the site, but I suspect there may be a fair number of those who like to base out of a cabin in a certain area and day hunt from there as well. I know some of the older guys in my circle like to do this as they are tired of roughing it and sleeping in tents.

Basically I am wondering about the feasibility of having one or two rental cabins in that area that would cater to these type of hunters. I ask because my family and I will be relocating there from Alaska after retirement. It's still a ways off, about ten years, but it's an idea I have been thinking about for awhile. I have hunted Eastern Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho, but don't have any experience with hunting in that particular area. I don't know if it would be a good jumping off point for guys getting into some public land and National Forest or not.

Anyhow, looking for any thoughts or feedback on the plan. Thanks!

frankrb3

WKR
I did this in South West Montana one weekend during elk season. I rented a forest service cabin and base camped out of it for a couple tags I still had burning a hole in my pocket right before thanksgiving week. It was a ton of fun and very relaxing and comfortable in the cabin with the wood burning stove going all night while it was in the teens outside. I didn't fill the tags but it was awesome staying in the cabin. Watch out for turd ferguson.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
There are lots of public land hunting options in the Flathead, Swan, and Seeley Lake Valleys. There certainly are good day hunts available, but keep in mind the terrain is steep and tough where it is open, and thick and tough where it isn't steep, typically. The country keeps a lot of hunters in Eastern and Central Montana.

There are a LOT of rental cabins in the Flathead area. They get booked early and are often very expensive for the typical summer tourist season, but can have openings and/or discounts during the "off" season. You might be able to sneak a deal during the hunting season.

Hope that helps, friend!

Sounds like your interested in operating a couple cabins catering to hunters, there is so much tourism in our valley I'm sure you could book them nearly year round. Spring might be tough but summer through fall for sure. Finding the right property will be the challenge. Property is very expensive here. I have a friend that owns cabins and some bare land that overlooks flathead lake. He was trying to promote hunting from tne cabins as the border Plum Creek land, but now that Weyerhauser has taken over the access could very well require leasing soon. Also 2/3 of flathead lake is surrounded by the flathead Indian reservation so no hunting for gringos there. I kill elk and deer within sight of flathead lake most years.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Thanks for those replies fellas. My buddy retired about ten years ago and now lives in Rollins, I’ve been around there and Lakeside quite a bit. I’m not looking to make a living renting cabins, but it sure wouldn’t hurt to have a little extra income as well as have a place for our guests to come as well. Planning to look at some properties this spring or summer. And I hear ya about the country, and I like it thick and nasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
I did this in South West Montana one weekend during elk season. I rented a forest service cabin and base camped out of it for a couple tags I still had burning a hole in my pocket right before thanksgiving week. It was a ton of fun and very relaxing and comfortable in the cabin with the wood burning stove going all night while it was in the teens outside. I didn't fill the tags but it was awesome staying in the cabin. Watch out for turd ferguson.

Ok, I gotta know...what is turd Ferguson?!

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Just know that many people who live in Flathead Valley travel to different parts of the state for better hunting opportunities, particularly elk. Bear and deer are not too hard to come by, but many find a 3-5 hour drive for elk hunting a good investment of their time. I hope i am not bumming you out in anyway. Flathead is awesome, and I love it here, its just a little harder of area for a die hard elk guy.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
No worries, not bumming me out at all! I haven’t hunted elk myself, but love hunting mule deer. And just about everything here in Alaska requires a days travel when it comes to hunting so 3-5 hours is no big deal to me. When it comes to rental cabins it sounds like between summer activities and a handful of hunters should work out just fine! The property search continues : )