Beach time

Looking to take the family on a beach vacation at the end of February. Any recommendations in areas we should look at? Kids are 6 and 10. Looking for something not too touristy but still fun for the kids. Thanks in advance.

Takem

WKR
I don't know what your definition of too touristy is but Maui is pretty cool. We were there last September with our 5 and 8 year olds and they had a blast. The humbacks should be there at the end of February which will make it even better. There's obviously a lot of tourists there but I don't find it to be a problem.

Squirrels

WKR
I've been told Sanibel Island Florida, Not overly commercialized. Most of the Island is a Wildlife Refuge

Got a coast in mind?

Hawaii is great if you have the coin. Easy to lose the crowds on Kauai. You can even find more isolated beaches on Maui and the big island.

California above Malibu to Santa Barbara but the water is cold and it may be cool in February.

Florida gulf coast is great. You can get away from the crowds from Panama City down to st Pete but you have to pick the right spot. Further south is warmer. Marco island around Naples is good. East coast Florida is an option but I like the beaches and water on the Atlantic side less. If you are really looking to get away, the keys are about as far as you can go and still speak English. Key west is pricey but there are options throughout the keys that are very quiet and affordable.

I love Kona. It is far less resorty than the rest of hawaii. It kind of has a small town feel. There are almost no waves there generally so it is safe for kids. If you are looking to surf that side of the island is not your place.
What part of the world are you thinking of traveling to? I guess that would be the most important question.

Kauai is great and pretty low-key. The Napali coast on the island is a must-see, and Waimea canyon is very impressive as well. Good snorkeling for the kids in Poipu and Tunnels beaches

Maui is larger and more touristy than Kauai, but still really nice. End of February is right in the middle of whale season, and the family would get a kick out a whale watching tour. The road to Hana is pretty special too with waterfalls to hike to along the way.

If you want to avoid things too touristy don't go to Oahu. Honolulu is like Los Angeles on an island. You can find less crowds on the north side of the island, but I would recommend just avoiding the island altogether.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I've been told Sanibel Island Florida, Not overly commercialized. Most of the Island is a Wildlife Refuge

Got back from Sanibel Sunday. Great low key place. Third year we have gone. 20 miles of protected cycling trails, quiet beaches, can rent bikes daily or weekly and some resorts supply them. Shelling is good, fishing trips available, good food. Not cheap but what is? Is land is busy on main drag but everything else is pretty quiet. If you want kids stuff like mini-golf etc you can always run over to Fort Meyers Beach area or that would be another possibility to stay.

NoWiser

WKR
My in-laws have a little condo on Ft Myers Beach. I really enjoy it there and the shore fishing is a hoot! Sanibel or Captiva would probably be even better.

Budget, length of time for trip and preferred water temps would help alot. US or other? Just looking for a break from the white stuff? If you wanna swim, forget CA, water is too cold.

Garshark

FNG
Costa Rica so many things to do especially with little kids. We went zip lining fishing river boat great snorkelling right off the beach. Hotel and airfare was cheap than most places in Mexico

OP
W
Man you guys are awesome. Looking at staying in the states right now. Hawaii may be a little out of budget right now. Leaning towards southwest FL right now.

Gobbler36

WKR
Used to live in the Sarasota area, quiet fun place to be I have three kids and my wife really enjoyed going out to siesta key. Great family spot, eating and some of the best beaches imo in the 48. Plus if you can wade out a little ways you can have some of the best shallow flats fishing around snook, redfish, and speckled trout would all be within reach Plus you can rent kayaks which is fairly affordable for the whole family and enjoy a half a day fishing and exploring

FreeRange

WKR
I’d not recommend California in february. Weather could be bad or great it’s a coin toss but the water will certainly be cold. Compared to the gulf coast or Florida the water is pretty much cold all year really. Everyone’s comfort level is different but we’ve been taking our kids to Mexico for vacations since our youngest was an infant, it’s not for everyone but it’s cheap, easy and we really enjoy it.

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
I live about 60 miles due north of Panama City Beach. Can't go wrong from Gulf Shores, AL east to St. Vincent Island, FL. There's a mix of whatever you're looking for in that range, white beaches, and sunny skies.

NoWiser

WKR
If you head to SW Florida and want to do a bit of shore fishing, PM me and I can let you know what has worked for me. I'm far from an expert but always manage to catch something when I walk down to the beach each morning and evening while I'm down there.

2rocky

WKR
If you don't mind highs in the 60's, you could do San Diego and you might find a cheap direct flight from Denver on Southwest.

February usually has the rainiest weather of the year for San Diego, California. Even so, the climate this month remains quite dry. Three out of four days on average get no rain.

San Diego CA Weather in February

I'm going to be down there the second weekend. La Jolla has a nice big beach with Kayak and bike rental places right near the beach.