Grandpa hunt ideas?

Howdy, I want to take my brother, father, and grandfather on a hunt this yr. This will definitely need to be an EASY hunt for my grandpa's sake. Any ideas on a midwest DIY or low-priced-outfitted hunts? ...without points.
I was thinking cow/spike elk hunt, but am very open-minded. Just trying to make a good memory with my grandpa while I still can. It would be nice to have a lodge or else rent a motorhome and park on a mountain road somewhere and hunt close to camp. The idea is to include my grandfather who is getting slow these days. What state is best for drawing something with decent success rates and not burning my points (grandpa and dad don't have points). Kinda hoping someone has been down this road before and can offer some advice/pointers. Thanks!

Plenty of options to choose from.....what's your budget and distance you'd be willing to travel....weapon choice and preferred timeframe for weather and temp conditions for your grandfather?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KJH

WKR
Think about a black bear hunt over bait in Manitoba or Saskatchewan. No points needed, guaranteed tag. Cheap and easy. You can use any weapon except a handgun. The physical exertion can be almost nothing and you can use a elevated stand or a ground blind. Success is almost guaranteed. You can hunt int the spring or fall.

Its cheaper than most hunts you can do DIY and most outfitters will really negotiate. All the outfitters I know personally, advertise $3,000 - $3,500, but if you bring 4-8 people they all go down to $1,800-$2,000 per person. This includes all lodging, meals, tags, trophy preparation, and 3-5 hours a day of fishing. 5 day hunt.

I take a group every year spring bear hunting and the group is usually 9-15 people. Sometimes there are some pretty old guys going who wouldn't hunt again otherwise. Its also awesome for new hunters (think 12 y/o ish). The hunt is easy, and its worth the trip.

Something to consider.

A bit off the run but I have a buddy that sets up TEXAS whitetail hunts in West Texas. Management bucks are pretty big and cost is reasonable. You can do lodging and food if you want. Very easy hunting from blinds. He has run some fairly immobile guys -older and disability - there and feedback is good.

OP
H
Budget: DIY (cost of tag ~500) and will consider ~$1k for outfitter fee plus additional expenses (food, lodging, meat care, etc.)
Distance: Wanna drive. I would like to stay no farther than Montana, but am open minded in this regard. We live in Texas, so NM, CO would be ideal.
Weapon: Rifle
Timeframe: details are more important, such as, if we go later then we would always need to be close to warmth (park truck near lodging and glass from roads, etc.)
Additional info:
-No horses (grandpas back "goes out" sometimes), not too much walking or too much cold for the same reason.
-fine with mule deer, elk, or antelope...not interested in bear right now, but thanks for the idea.
-we hunt whitetail around Texas every year and trying to do something a little "different".
-my instinct is really just to hunt somewhere where he has a decent chance of seeing animals from roads/camp that he can put an EASY stalk on.

I'd do antelope. To me its your only reasonable option that gives you at least a chance of success with the situation you are facing.
Lots of animals.
Easier physically. (you'll be closer to the truck most of the time)
Being closer to the truck gives you an option to get grandpa out quicker in case something goes wrong.
Real good chance of some success.
Weather less of an issue. (rifle seasons usually open oct. 1)
Will probably have a chance to see a lot of country glassing. (Even say if his back is bothering him) So you can still kinda be hunting even if he isn't feeling well.
Good luck!

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you want to sit in a blind over water with Grandpa I would second the antelope suggestion in Wyoming. You can draw without points, less than $400 for a buck tag or you can snag doe tags for less. You could glass from the truck and only make stalks as necessary. To me it fits your requirements perfectly.

Fitzwho

WKR
Antelope would be my first choice, but unlikely to draw anywhere. Plenty of landowner tags in NM and even in the Texas Panhandle, but they can get pricey. You'll need 4-5 points to draw a rifle antelope tag in CO.

A Cow elk hunt in NM will run you around $1500 for the landowner voucher and $300 something for the tag. These are all on private land and you'll be limited to the ranch. I have a buddy that's an outfitter in NM that does cow hunts, usually in December, every year. I went in 2016, killed a nice cow, saw some really nice bulls, wild horses, mule deer, gambel's quail, and some cool country.

Antelope sounds good for all the reasons already mentioned. Relatively easy physically, reasonable chance at success, even if you don't fill your tags you will likely see animals, both from the truck and while hiking.

boom

WKR
what about a TEXAS hill country hog hunt? i regret not taking my stepdad there at the end.

it can be as easy or difficult as you choose. my brother just booked a trip where people are taking first time kids..so the opposite side of the age spectrum. hogs..comes with a lodge (and get this) a COOK!. someone makes the meals. you just fly in, rent a car, drive there...oh, you tell them what beer you like and they try to make it happen.

it was super affordable. i think $200 per person, per night.

Last edited:
Wyoming antelope, you will probably bee able to get a buck tag and doe tag. You will see tons of animals and you can probably find some reasonable "tresspass fees" that will give you access to private property. They are fun to hunt, if you screw up or blow the stalk its not the end of the world you will find another group. And they are good eating.

I would ask grandpa , what hunt would he like. He may rather a fishing trip , it's just doing it together that matters. Great to think about him but might be better to just ask him. By the way, I'm a grandpa. He may just like a road trip .

Zbot

WKR
Texas exotics, safari style driving around in a high seat truck. Can be done super cheap if you look around (not with the major ranches). No need to be quiet or sneaky....get to drive around and talk, tell stories, drink a coke, and relax by a fire at the end. No stress, no competition, no planning, no work, no breaking down game...just hunting and spending time together.

I agree with asking Grandpa about the species preference if he wants to hunt and whether he'd just prefer taking a sightseeing trip. My grandpa often expresses interest in hunting but he's killed so many deer that's he doesn't care about the hunting much and he just wants to spend time together actually.

Antelope, mule deer, and then elk in times of difficulty of hunting and finding the game--with big steps between each species.

Hunting with a point in WY or not seems good.

OP
H
I just spoke with Grandpa and he likes the idea of pronghorn hunting in Wyoming. How much do we give up in terms of quality of hunt if we do a second choice hunt vs a 0 point draw first choice? If we did this then we can save them points and I could hunt with them without burning my points. Also, any help with second choice draw would be helpful as I have quickly noticed how lacking information on second choice draw odds/statistics are.
Thanks again everyone...