Backcountry First Aid Kit, By Richard Rhodes

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Photo-_3.jpg

A topic we see come up quite often on Rokslide is backcountry first aid. I would think most of us bring at least some kind of first aid kit whenever we hit the hills on a hunt but most probably have no idea what they are carrying and how to use it.

Richard Rhodes is an avid outdoorsman who began hunting as a kid in Southern Georgia, where he grew up pursuing Whitetail, Turkeys, and Ducks, he has now​
begun to pursue Elk hunting in the Rockies on a yearly basis. Richard began his career in Public Safety with the Fire Department in 2002, he has since obtained the rank of Training Officer and Fire Instructor. Richard completed EMT school in 2007 and Paramedic in 2010, he is currently an EMS/Paramedic instructor at a local college in Georgia
and is completing a Bachelors in EMS. Richard has been teaching for the Boy Scouts for several years and frequently teaches Wilderness First Aid.

In this backcountry first aid kit article Richard explains what he carries in his kit and why.

Backcountry First Aid Kit

Last edited:

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damn good first article. Glad you finally got around to it. Hopefully this is just the beginning, as you could teach us a lot. This is why I stack the deck in my favor for survival by bringing you with me on hunts :)

Why would you use a cat tourniquet over and Israeli bandage?

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Great article ! I tend to worry about every possible issue . It's that "Good intention Fairy " thing . Time to recheck and lighten up the kit a bit , and learn how to use it.

Damn good first article. Glad you finally got around to it. Hopefully this is just the beginning, as you could teach us a lot. This is why I stack the deck in my favor for survival by bringing you with me on hunts :)

Why would you use a cat tourniquet over and Israeli bandage?

William,
Thank you for the feedback. I am glad Rokslide allowed me the chance to write.

I prefer the CAT TQ simply for it's ease of use and its reputable ability to stop arterial blood flow. It is also generally the best one handed application of a TQ, meaning if you suffer an injury to an arm and are alone you can still place the TQ. With that being said there is a small learning curve with the CAT and it can be difficult to apply without some prior planning or practice (which you should be doing if you carry it) The con to a CAT is the weight penalty (negligible IMO)

An israeli bandage is cheap, light, multi-use, easy to apply and use and overall a great item to have in a kit. It makes a really good TQ when applied well and for some guy's I'm sure it will be a better option for their kit than a CAT.

nn

Great article ! I tend to worry about every possible issue . It's that "Good intention Fairy " thing . Time to recheck and lighten up the kit a bit , and learn how to use it.

Grambo,

I tend to do the same thing from time to time and that is why it is important to carry as many multi-use items as you can so that you don't end up with a huge kit. If you need any tips or pointers as you re-build let me know!

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Good read. I know I'm guilty of having a first aid kit and not knowing what's in it and how to use what's in it. I mean, I'm young(63) and invincible.

Great article. Hoping that folks will read, watch and take heed. I feel like I've listened to several podcasts where guys are going "super-lightweight" and their med kit is Tylenol pm, lip balm and maybe some bandaids and super glue.

Seems like the most item that is most conspicuously missing from back country kits is the tourniquet. Far to many people think they can just whip something out the field using shoelaces, a belt or even an Israeli. Maybe in practice when they fully have their wits about them that would be the case. When doing self aid on a major laceration they probably won't be as calm or collected. This is why I favor a purpose built TQ for any hunting kit.

I am a big fan of the CAT but I am going to be switching to the RATS from RE Factor Tactical for size/weight/ease of use.

Is there any clearing house for empirical data on life threatening backcountry injuries or just hunting injuries in general? I would guess that blood loss is at the top of list (knife/axe cuts, arrow punctures, gunshot wounds) and the only best way to stop that is with a TQ.

There has been a ton of data gathered during the last 17 years of combat in the middle east on exsanguination and the use of TQ so it pains me to see the civilian and hunting communities take so long to catch on.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
So I’m not supposed to carry two bandaids, some luko tape, gas-x and an extra lighter ?

I am probably one of the worst people for packing an appropriate first aid kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great article. Hoping that folks will read, watch and take heed. I feel like I've listened to several podcasts where guys are going "super-lightweight" and their med kit is Tylenol pm, lip balm and maybe some bandaids and super glue.

Seems like the most item that is most conspicuously missing from back country kits is the tourniquet. Far to many people think they can just whip something out the field using shoelaces, a belt or even an Israeli. Maybe in practice when they fully have their wits about them that would be the case. When doing self aid on a major laceration they probably won't be as calm or collected. This is why I favor a purpose built TQ for any hunting kit.

I am a big fan of the CAT but I am going to be switching to the RATS from RE Factor Tactical for size/weight/ease of use.

Is there any clearing house for empirical data on life threatening backcountry injuries or just hunting injuries in general? I would guess that blood loss is at the top of list (knife/axe cuts, arrow punctures, gunshot wounds) and the only best way to stop that is with a TQ.

There has been a ton of data gathered during the last 17 years of combat in the middle east on exsanguination and the use of TQ so it pains me to see the civilian and hunting communities take so long to catch on.

Duckhunter,

Thank you for your feedback, I agree that a lot of times we discount the need for items from situations that arise and in our effort to cut weight we throw out the items we don't often use. When these items could save your hunt or even your life it's not the best area to cut weight. I have not handled the RAT TQ so I can't speak to it's function.

In terms of data, no there is not to my knowledge, although it is an interesting idea. I have a couple of research projects coming up. I may attempt a retrospective study of this information. Indeed, a lot of information has came from our recent conflicts that have helped trauma survival.

So I’m not supposed to carry two bandaids, some luko tape, gas-x and an extra lighter ?

I am probably one of the worst people for packing an appropriate first aid kit.

Gasp!! We can't have Rokslide staff going unprepared, let me know if I can help you in any way.

One thing to point out is that most off the shelf kits I've seen don't include an Anti-Diarrheal (you do in yours) and as I found this year it is pretty critical; not having it can turn dangerous (due to dehydration). One of my buddies came with me on a trip the day after he had gotten back from Guatemala and on the second day of our trip had gotten beaver fever pretty bad (others that were with him in Guatemala got it as well). Luckily we were just hanging out at the lake so he could tough it out and stay hydrated, but it probably would've been a much more pleasant trip for him had I had some Imodium in my kit.

Leukotape is also pretty critical IMO. Relating to first-aid it is most useful for making sure moleskin doesn't fall off, closing up wounds and holding on bandages. If you're like me and are not coming out of the woods for a cut, it's pretty critical to have something that waterproof to put over your bandages so you can continue your adventure. August '16 I was up in Canada with my dad and he cut his hand so deep on a pike's gill plate that he certainly should've gotten stitches, but given that we were at least 18 hours of plane flights from a hospital, some gauze and leukotape would have to do and the wound healed perfectly fine.

One thing to point out is that most off the shelf kits I've seen don't include an Anti-Diarrheal (you do in yours) and as I found this year it is pretty critical; not having it can turn dangerous (due to dehydration). One of my buddies came with me on a trip the day after he had gotten back from Guatemala and on the second day of our trip had gotten beaver fever pretty bad (others that were with him in Guatemala got it as well). Luckily we were just hanging out at the lake so he could tough it out and stay hydrated, but it probably would've been a much more pleasant trip for him had I had some Imodium in my kit.

Leukotape is also pretty critical IMO. Relating to first-aid it is most useful for making sure moleskin doesn't fall off, closing up wounds and holding on bandages. If you're like me and are not coming out of the woods for a cut, it's pretty critical to have something that waterproof to put over your bandages so you can continue your adventure. August '16 I was up in Canada with my dad and he cut his hand so deep on a pike's gill plate that he certainly should've gotten stitches, but given that we were at least 18 hours of plane flights from a hospital, some gauze and leukotape would have to do and the wound healed perfectly fine.

Thank you for the feedback, to my recollection I have never used Luekotape, although I have a lot of running partners who do, I will give it a whirl and see how it works out.

To expound on the anti-diarrheal I will say that I try to runs the "runs" run their course as it will purge the illness from your body but as you say getting dehydrated in the backcountry is not a good or safe option. It's better IMO to stop those pretty soon if you're not able to hydrate and hang out until it passes.

Remember with deep cuts and a less than clean environment to be mindful of the possibility of an infection setting in, most of us guy's aren't coming out a distance that long of a trip and ruining our hunts for a cut even if it is pretty bad so make sure you pay attention to keeping it clean and monitoring for infections!

NDGuy

WKR
Thank you for the feedback, to my recollection I have never used Luekotape, although I have a lot of running partners who do, I will give it a whirl and see how it works out.

To expound on the anti-diarrheal I will say that I try to runs the "runs" run their course as it will purge the illness from your body but as you say getting dehydrated in the backcountry is not a good or safe option. It's better IMO to stop those pretty soon if you're not able to hydrate and hang out until it passes.

Remember with deep cuts and a less than clean environment to be mindful of the possibility of an infection setting in, most of us guy's aren't coming out a distance that long of a trip and ruining our hunts for a cut even if it is pretty bad so make sure you pay attention to keeping it clean and monitoring for infections!

Where is the best place to buy some of these supplies and a CAT tourniquet "cough" free shipping "cough"? That video made it seem slick and easy to use.

Where is the best place to buy some of these supplies and a CAT tourniquet "cough" free shipping "cough"? That video made it seem slick and easy to use.
ND,

There is a website I hot linked in the article called the EMS store. emstore.com -&nbspThis website is for sale! -&nbspemstore Resources and Information. they have good prices on all of the items. Amazon is also a good source for items with free shipping.

Let me know if I can help more!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk