Keeping phone, gps, etc charged

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
It ain't that... I go to the woods to get away from alla that crap. Never felt a need to be entertained, or to have the latest trinkets to screw with. But, if I was so worried about not being able to find my way around a strange area, or 'emergencies', or talk to folks while I'm gone, maybe I would be more inclined to be a worrywart and turn into a vidiot/gamer/music/gps'er/cellphone dependant type hunter. I reckon I was bornt a hunnert years too late......

Nobody understands this more than me brother. I see the horrors of humanity every single day. I hope you find the piece of mind you seek out there. I know I'll be looking as well...

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Thanks for your valuable input that you ironically post on an electronic device that you’re so deadset against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It ain't that... I go to the woods to get away from alla that crap. Never felt a need to be entertained, or to have the latest trinkets to screw with. But, if I was so worried about not being able to find my way around a strange area, or 'emergencies', or talk to folks while I'm gone, maybe I would be more inclined to be a worrywart and turn into a vidiot/gamer/music/gps'er/cellphone dependant type hunter. I reckon I was bornt a hunnert years too late......

I bring a Inreach along so my wife and family have piece of mind. I'm not entertained sending them a couple of texts per night. I do it so they don't worry as much. Some of the places hunters go in aren't very easily accessible. If something ever happened to where I couldn't walk or crawl out, I'd like a device that can tell someone I need help. If that device isn't charged on an extended hunt then carrying it doesn't make much sense. So carrying something that charges that device does. If something happens on a hunt, then carrying an extra two pounds to me is worth it. It could be worth whether I survive or not. Everyone makes their own choices.

Thanks for your valuable input that you ironically post on an electronic device that you’re so deadset against.

Nobody said I was deadset against electronics. I said they have no place in MY wilderness/hunting scenario. Well, other than the laser rangefinder I cheat with......

Btaylor

WKR

When I was single I felt the same way. Don't bother me with phone and radios and what not. That was before smart phone and apps like onx. Now I carry my phone for two reasons, to make me a more efficient hunter but more importantly to communicate with my wife so she has piece of mind when I am hunting. Sorta like wearing a safety harness climbing trees. Seldom wore one before I was married but now i will not climb without it. It is just the nature of having and taking responsibility for our safety for the benefit of those who love us. I certainly miss the days of leaving everything behind when on a hunt but I would not even remotely consider trading them for my life with my spouse.

MattB

WKR
Rayporter, that is funny. I don't tend to bring electronics with me on a hunt, but if I do they are on so seldom during the hunt that I can't see the need for the ability to charge.

Good grief.... 3 different guys mentioned 'piece of mind'. Is having this like having a lobotomy? Or has electronics fried your brains? Or is everybody illiterate and really meant 'peace of mind'?...... Curious here, as I still have all my pieces.

nrh6.7

WKR
Good grief.... 3 different guys mentioned 'piece of mind'. Is having this like having a lobotomy? Or has electronics fried your brains? Or is everybody illiterate and really meant 'peace of mind'?...... Curious here, as I still have all my pieces.

Not sure how this helps answer the OP's question. If you don't like having electronics on your hunts, great. But if you don't have anything to add, why do you feel obligated to show how independent you are??

cnelk

WKR
I have/use an InReach, and been using it for a few years.
When I first got it, I did an experiment with the battery usage.

I fully charged the unit. Then I left it on.
Each day I would send a message and then let it go back to standby mode.

At the end of 7 days, I had 15% battery life - so it used ~12%/day mostly on standby mode.

A couple years ago I took it to Alaska on a fly-in moose hunt.
Since I knew what my expected battery life would be, I never brought a charger
Each day I sent 2 texts and every other day I got the updated weather forecast

Every night I put it in my sleeping bag.
On the 8th day when we flew out, it still had 15% battery.

It all depends on how you use your equipment.

gelton

WKR

Curious when the last 7-14 day backcountry (not 1/4 mile from the truck where your electronics are locked) hunt was? Do you normally truck camp/hunt or do you backpack in? Are you married or do you have any living family that you care about?

Most of us all go into the backcountry to get away from electronics, but GPS makes me a better hunter, and the ability to call for help and text my wife, or better yet for her to text me makes those 7-14 day trips accessible. You might think you are superman but emergencies happen both in the back country and at home. I have aging parents, would hate to miss their funeral.

I for one hate technology and if my hunting spot ever got cell service I would find a new one. But no matter how bad ass one thinks they are, shit happens and you arent immune.

I would recommend checking out the Hunting Backcountry podcast episode 104 where a former Army Ranger went for a birdhunt in a spot that he knew well and tore up his knee so bad that he had to be air lifted out. But then again it may not apply to you because podcasts arent broadcast on AM radio.

Last edited:
OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Nobody said I was deadset against electronics. I said they have no place in MY wilderness/hunting scenario. Well, other than the laser rangefinder I cheat with......

Yeah. Like a vegan with leather shoes. I get it.

And you’re right I wrote “piece” not “peace”. You got me on that.

Curious when the last 7-14 day backcountry (not 1/4 mile from the truck where your electronics are locked) hunt was? Do you normally truck camp/hunt or do you backpack in? Are you married or do you have any living family that you care about?

Most of us all go into the backcountry to get away from electronics, but GPS makes me a better hunter, and the ability to call for help and text my wife, or better yet for her to text me makes those 7-14 day trips accessible. You might think you are superman but emergencies happen both in the back country and at home. I have aging parents, would hate to miss their funeral.

I for one hate technology and if my hunting spot ever got cell service I would find a new one. But no matter how bad ass one thinks they are, shit happens and you arent immune.

I would recommend checking out the Hunting Backcountry podcast episode 104 where a former Army Ranger went for a birdhunt in a spot that he knew well and tore up his knee so bad that he had to be air lifted out. But then again it may not apply to you because podcasts arent broadcast on AM radio.

Well, I don't know where to start with this, so I reckon I'll go point by point. The last 7-14 day back country hunt was 8 years ago. Mainly because I fill before the season is over..... I do not truck camp except for fishing trips and LR matches, nor do I backpack much anymore. Too old, so I cheat and wheelpack. The backpack is only used to get meat to where the wheel can do the work. I'm divorced, but when I was still married, the wife and kids knew the area where I'd be, and who to call to find me if I didn't check in on a schedule. My boys now have that duty, if they aren't with me. Nobody(including me) has said I was superman, and emergencies will be handled as best they can accordingly. A little backstory on aging parents... in '02 my dad had a massive heart attack at 7AM. I'd left for elkcamp at 4:30 that morning. My wife knew my schedule and where I stopped for fuel at the approximate time. She notified CSP and they pulled me over to inform me 250 miles from home. Luckily I knew another rodeo friend in the area and dumped my horses and trailer at his ranch in Hayden and gassed it back the Denver hospital where Pap was. I made it in time for his openheart surgery, and he lived. Put the kibosh on elk season that year, but hey....Dad loves hunting as much as I do, and the family would have froze him until the funeral, if they could't have got me turned back.
I am just a little feller, with NO illusions of bad-assery, and am very familiar with Mr. Murphy AND my lack of immunity to his shenanigans, as something happens about every year. Hunting seasons are sometimes remembered by the bad stuff, injuries or wrecks that happened that year. Like the year my wifes horse colic'd and died in camp, or the year I frigging near cut my thumb off, or the one where I spent 3 days in a tent puking. If they all went smooth, when you get old the'd all just kinda run together....Gotta have SOMETHING to liven things/memories up.....grin
As for listening to 'podcasts', to be honest, I don't even know what that is......