Over the counter, leftover etc.. Thanksgiving Week

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Well folks, I got a question for y'all who might have some experience with this. By no means am I asking for anything specific, but maybe y'all can help.

My girlfriend's nephew is 15, a great kid with a good head on his shoulders and works hard, but seems to be having a bit of trouble in school. We know if he put the effort that he puts towards anything else towards school, he would come out with straight A's. He's just been discouraged since he's never been good at school

He also has a strong passion for hunting and fishing, but because he lives in Florida, he doesn't hunt much except little bitty whitetails and ringneck ducks. He always talks about how he dreams of coming out west some day and hunting something different.

Because of this, the family and I have cane up with a plan that if he can bring his grades up, and stay out of trouble (which has never been a problem for him) that we will fly him out west to come do a hunt over Thanksgiving break.

Here's my question: Since we won't be able to plan it until after the end of this semester, it would have to be a leftover or otc hunt. Would it be possible to swing a western public land hunt during the week of Thanksgiving given the circumstances of it having to be over the counter or leftover,

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Idaho has some limited entry mule deer tags that are good for all of November, and the application deadline is June 5th if you don't want to do over the counter.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Idaho has some limited entry mule deer tags that are good for all of November, and the application deadline is June 5th if you don't want to do over the counter.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Didn't even think of that, thanks! That might be more of a drive than I'd want to do, but it would probably be worth it

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

NM has youth deer and cow elk hunts over the thanksgiving weekend. I believe if you miss the first draw they go on sale in late summer first come first serve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are describing my situation with my nephew. My nephew has done well in school but I am worried about his environment and his parenting. He loves hunting more than anything. When we was 11 I started putting him in for AZ, the youth license and tag if he draws a youth hunt are cheap, I think it was about $50. It took 3 years to draw the hunt over Thanksgiving though. Last season he came to UT with my dad. He is hooked and knows that he has to keep his grades up if he wants me to keep taking him. He is 15 this year and called me a couple weeks ago because he said he is trying to plan an OTC elk hunt in CO for next year.

Doesn't MT often have leftovers good into Nov?

Are the NM youth tags discounted?

Arizona's deer deadline isn't until June 12th this year, so that would be after his semester ends I would think. Arizona always has a handful of deer hunts with dates overlapping the three days after Thanksgiving, and often has one or more hunts that are 100% draw and over 30% success rate. Just looking at last year, he could be eligible for a number of tags that would have been guaranteed I think. And Arizona only charges $5 for youth hunting licenses, and then $15 for an application fee. So only $20 to apply, then it's $40 for a non-resident youth deer tag. Pretty cheap $60 option for some decent hunts. Looks like 20C youth hunt on those dates is usually guaranteed, 36A and 36B youth are high draw odds too, and I'm sure plenty others that aren't youth tags. You'll just have to check the regs when they come out and see where the dates fall this year. Good luck!

I'd put in for a controlled Cow Elk hunt. Idaho has them that time of year as do multiple other states.

Montana general ends right around that time but it would probably be a tough hunt to get on the animals and deal with the road and weather conditions.

jmez

WKR
MT elk ends after Thanksgiving weekend. They have leftover tags every year.

Big consideration that time of year with the Western States is weather. Can greatly limit where you can get too. Also if driving from Tejas, may want to plan in an extra 2 days on each end of the trip for weather in between on the roads.