Update: purchased a used $12,000 Crew Cab truck

Well, my other thread asking about what to look for in a used crew cab truck is pretty full so I decided to update you all.

After looking online and at a few trucks for sale locally, I finally found one that seemed like a reasonable deal. Took me long enough. I picked up a 2003 GMC 1500HD. It has 73,000 miles on it. Came from Alberta and sold at a dealer auction here in the US. They were asking 15K and I got it for a touch over 13K. Also found a Leer shell for sale that matches well enough for $240.

After driving it around for a few days I have no complaints. The gas mileage isn't the best, but not terrible. I don't drive a ton anyhow, but I know I drove a fair amount to get it back from Boise, run around town, etc. and a tank cost me $63. We'll see what the MPG's are after testing it for a week or two.

I had my mechanic check it out and he said there seems to be no issues so looking good so far. I'm a little worried about all the electronics though. This morning I started it up and the light on the 4x4 said it was on 4 Low???? I switched it back to 2 high, but odd that it was set to 4 low. Possible me or the kids bumped it yesterday, but something I'm keeping an eye on.

So thanks for the advice! I was shooting for a slightly newer aged truck, but it's pretty tough to get something with less than 100K in a crew cab in my price range. I don't want payments, but I can see the appeal of buying new for sure.

27534892_10155696971590091_669938969_o.jpg

OP
F
A new t case motor assy will cure the 4lo on startup issue.

I'm thinking the control switch is corroded or funky on the 4X4 selector. I hopped in this afternoon to get some lunch and it was on Auto 4. I stopped by my mechanic who owns a GMC as well and knows a lot about them. He said to pull the selector switch out and clean it up real well. Might be corrosion. If it does it again, a new switch is $30. Pretty sure it's a simple fix. It goes in and out of 4 when I push the buttons as normal, just seems like it has it's own mind when I start it on occasion.

mtmuley

WKR
A new switch will fix the t-case issue. The 6.0 in that truck is one of the best gas engines made. Mine averages 14.5 in everyday driving. I don't complain, it's a full size 4x4. AND, you can put chains on the front of it. mtmuley

Wyatt G

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you got a good deal, those 6.0’s don’t get the greatest mpg but they’re pretty bulletproof. I had an 05 1500 for 160,000 miles and it was a great truck. Corrosion is most likely the issue the tcase, my a/c would switch from cold to hot and would only go back if i turned the truck off and back on. That’s not too fun when it’s summer in arkansas, 20 bucks for a blend door actuator fixed that.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
Nice rig. Good gas mileage for a 6.0 also. My 2013 ecoboost only get's 13.5 mpg in real world driving.

Wow, I’ve been looking for the same thing you were. 4 door 4x4 with not a crap ton of miles and I haven’t seen anything with that low of miles in that price range. There is a really nice looking 04’ 2500hd 4x4 for 8950$. It has 169k mi though. It’s also an extended cab but not 4 door. It’s really clean though and has new tires. I’ve only put 4-5k miles on my truck a year so it would likely last me for a while. It also has the 6.0. I’m still looking but I keep going back and looking at that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Wow, I’ve been looking for the same thing you were. 4 door 4x4 with not a crap ton of miles and I haven’t seen anything with that low of miles in that price range. There is a really nice looking 04’ 2500hd 4x4 for 8950$. It has 169k mi though. It’s also an extended cab but not 4 door. It’s really clean though and has new tires. I’ve only put 4-5k miles on my truck a year so it would likely last me for a while. It also has the 6.0. I’m still looking but I keep going back and looking at that one.

I find the price jump from an extended cab to crew is significant.

I was really surprised I was able to find a truck like this with such low miles. It’s not easy. I don’t know why it has such low miles, but it checks out.

I found plenty of nice crew cab 4x4 trucks with below 100k miles, but they often go for 18-20 and I was shooting for 12k. Kind of a tough price point it seems for what I wanted.

Hope this one doesn’t turn out to be a lemon! So far so good. A few minor fixes that I’m tackling but nothing major.

Clarktar

WKR
Well, my other thread asking about what to look for in a used crew cab truck is pretty full so I decided to update you all.

After looking online and at a few trucks for sale locally, I finally found one that seemed like a reasonable deal. Took me long enough. I picked up a 2003 GMC 1500HD. It has 73,000 miles on it. Came from Alberta and sold at a dealer auction here in the US. They were asking 15K and I got it for a touch over 13K. Also found a Leer shell for sale that matches well enough for $240.

After driving it around for a few days I have no complaints. The gas mileage isn't the best, but not terrible. I don't drive a ton anyhow, but I know I drove a fair amount to get it back from Boise, run around town, etc. and a tank cost me $63. We'll see what the MPG's are after testing it for a week or two.

I had my mechanic check it out and he said there seems to be no issues so looking good so far. I'm a little worried about all the electronics though. This morning I started it up and the light on the 4x4 said it was on 4 Low???? I switched it back to 2 high, but odd that it was set to 4 low. Possible me or the kids bumped it yesterday, but something I'm keeping an eye on.

So thanks for the advice! I was shooting for a slightly newer aged truck, but it's pretty tough to get something with less than 100K in a crew cab in my price range. I don't want payments, but I can see the appeal of buying new for sure.

View attachment 65775
Some sweet chrome on that truck cousin!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I have the 6.0, after having a diesel for years, i really like it. I only tow heavy occasionally. 8000 lbs will put me around 10 mpg, but 15 average every day.

Nice rig, ought to get your money's worth out of that instead of a 20,000 buck depreciation! Congrats

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."