Bow shop exclusive - WTF?

So I get that bow makers don’t want to sell their bows other than at their dealers. It makes sense. Support the channel. Dealers add the service layer. No problem. I have bought all three hoyt bows I own through local dealers.

But parts? I am doing some post season work on my HOYT and wanted one of those color accessory kits to bling it up. I called HOYT because I couldn’t find one for over a year. They said call a dealer. I called a shop I order some archery supplies from and the dealer said it was in store only per HOYT policy. No phone orders or internet sales. Really? For a $40 pack of rubber and plastic thingys.

Am I crazy or does this seem a little weird?

Trial153

WKR
The archery industy is suicidal in todays contracting archery market.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
^ agree. Their model won't survive. The first one to break ranks is really going to reap the benefits. It will be PSE or Mathews.

I agree. A lot of guys do their own work now. In the past you went to the shop for everything but now you really only need to go there if you don’t know how to do something. I like to support my local shop but if I can pick up something cheaper used I go for it. Within reason of course. As soon as a company says, let’s sell our stuff online/phone to the folks who do their own work. It will change the industry.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I get that bow makers don’t want to sell their bows other than at their dealers. It makes sense. Support the channel. Dealers add the service layer. No problem. I have bought all three hoyt bows I own through local dealers.

But parts? I am doing some post season work on my HOYT and wanted one of those color accessory kits to bling it up. I called HOYT because I couldn’t find one for over a year. They said call a dealer. I called a shop I order some archery supplies from and the dealer said it was in store only per HOYT policy. No phone orders or internet sales. Really? For a $40 pack of rubber and plastic thingys.

Am I crazy or does this seem a little weird?

If you go to Ebay and type in Hoyt Custom, those kits will pop up. That's where I got mine I think.. but same here, I didn't have a dealer nearby. Would've spent like 60$ in fuel just to go get a 40$ dampener set.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
^ agree. Their model won't survive. The first one to break ranks is really going to reap the benefits. It will be PSE or Mathews.

Interesting, and I wouldn't disagree. Let's swing back on this topic when the disruption happens, see how it all shakes out.

dtrkyman

WKR
From a former shop manager it is the only way pro shops will survive, Mathews is extremely dealer oriented and they would be last to jump ship imho.

Pse has a cool way to buy from their site but it still goes through a dealer, you purchase anything from their site and it immediately goes to dealers in your area that are in there program and I think the closest dealer gets first crack at it? do not remember specifics but we sold a lot of gear through it that we would have never stocked.

Support your local dealer when possible!

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I was talking to a shop owner and he dropped a manufacture as they were allowing guys to "drop ship" and undercut him. Since the competitors just ran out of their garage vs him who keeps an inventory. I typically buy used but try and buy though him.

Little fact for you folks as well, sewing machines are the same way. Aside from the cheap walmart ones.

Kind of like the switch of manufacturing jobs over to China. Makes you wonder if this is a good thing or not.

Last edited:
Darton sells bows and accessories online. The down side to this is, most Darton dealers don't carry any stock. So, shooting them before buying is difficult. I had to drive two hours last spring to shoot one at a deer and turkey expo.

I don't know what the answer is. I do know that if the archery industry doesn't change money will continue to be left on the table.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
It's the future. Brick and motor stores will survive, but no doubt big retail changes will be hitting at some point. Bow shops are very hit and miss and for that reason alone archery companies should have a online marketing presence including initial bow set up.

sneaky

"DADDY"
From a former shop manager it is the only way pro shops will survive, Mathews is extremely dealer oriented and they would be last to jump ship imho.

Pse has a cool way to buy from their site but it still goes through a dealer, you purchase anything from their site and it immediately goes to dealers in your area that are in there program and I think the closest dealer gets first crack at it? do not remember specifics but we sold a lot of gear through it that we would have never stocked.

Support your local dealer when possible!
PSE dropped the Shopatron program. Pro Series bows are dealer only now. I too sold quite a few bows through the Shopatron program when I had my shop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
isnt this less of a marketing thing and more of a quality control thing?

they can open up the parts backdoor..if things blow up, it hurts the name. nobody ask where did the part come from? if there is a product problem.

kinda like any company that sells "Factory seconds" ..typically the warrantly does not apply to this stuff. like a rhinehart target. i bought a factory second..it was painted wrong..so the guts were good. i shot that thing up fast with broadheads. the warranty did not apply.