Venting/hunting alone question

I need to vent to some like minded individuals. I have been pretty fortunate to have pretty good hunting partners the last couple years. My dad being one of them. He is getting older and doesn’t like to leave the truck, or just sit over a water hole. I am not keen on doing this all season long. My other partner recently married into a very large landowning family. They do not allow anyone to hunt unless you are family. So I lost my hunting buddy. Now I am back to being by myself. I am in need of some advice. How do you guys that go alone deal with being a lone. I have a delorme so communication is not a problem. My biggest battle has been with my family not wanting me to go alone. Thanks for letting me vent. I am pretty down on myself today because of this.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was definitely going to say get an in reach, so you've got that covered. And for me I have to crawl up for cell service at least once every other day.. usually not hard to do but I feel I have to check in with everyone outside of family. I also take ear buds with me so I can listen to music and podcasts... podcasts really seem to help because your listening to other people talk and almost feels like your part of the conversation. So you don't get too bored and "lonely". I love hunting alone.. even when I have hunted with friends in the past, I'd rather pack in together and share camp, but go separate ways during the day. My family doesn't love it I don't think, but just communicate to them that you have that inReach so you can message back and forth. I feel like you make better decisions by yourself as well... on stalks especially for me. It's an adjustment for sure.. but mostly for me it's trying to not get bored and not mentally freak out in the dark sometimes. Especially if you haven't hunted by yourself at all or that much, you'll probably learn some things about yourself. You just have to go do it... and give it a couple of try's.

Dunndm

WKR
I'm following this cause I'm in the same boat... Podcast seem like a really good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also prefer to hunt alone, but I am also not doing long stretches at a time as I only live a couple hours from where I hunt. 3-5 days is my max usually. The Delorme is key. I also bring a paperback to read. I find that by the time I get back to camp, do usual camp chores, eat, etc it is time to read for a bit and go to sleep.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Ok so I am turning the big 6-0 this year. I don't know if this is sage advice or just ramblings of a curmudgeon.

My take: I am in sales so after a year of dealing with all sorts of people and the constant barrage of music, TV news, entertainment overload, yada yada, I am ready for some soul healing solitude. The last thing I want is a podcast in my ear. Relish in the hunt and the wilderness with all its sights, sounds, and wonder. Learn to become your own best friend. It typically takes a few days to decompress and then the time just flows along. By the last day I am ready to weep at the thought of going back to civilization.
Being alone is a very valuable life skill. At some point we all will likely have to deal with it so why not practice now.

Fitzwho

WKR
For me the issue isn't with hunting alone, I can spend all day in the woods by myself without issue. Where I usually start hitting that proverbial wall is when I am just sitting in camp with little or nothing to do. I would agree on the podcasts or music. As far as family, my wife got really nervous when I went on my first solo trip, so I got the InReach so she could track me, even if I didn't have service... My second solo trip that same year she just forwarded the link to my Dad and brother, and she didn't even bother with it. I definitely give her a shout any time I do have cell service.

I give her my first couple plans (A, B, C) on where I am going to park and where I plan on camping as well. If I move, I make it a point to let her know I'm moving down the list.

I spend all day dealing with my shop and field personnel as well as salesmen (my own and vendors) and clients. I tend to enjoy the quiet, at least to a point.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
It seems like by the time I get back to my tent from hunting and eat it's time for bed. Sleep till morning(as long as no strange noises at night) and do it again. My wife says she worries about me but she always seems disappointed when I get back home.

I have hunted alone for most of my life. I have hunted in groups while growing up. I have been in a 2 person hunt at times as well. Basically I have been fortunate to hunt in many various scenarios.

For me, the "Experience" is why I go. I get out to where the animals live, and join them.
In my nature is the ability to do this. Culture has tried to change who I was originally. When I get to the mountains, my natural self comes out and it feels right. I can share that with others or enjoy it alone. I go for the entire hunt. Which began at prep time, shooting the bow, buying the needed gear, scouting etc...

My advice to you is enjoy the experience. Hunting solo has a rare emotional victory you wont uncover any where else.
It brings the experience level to you like nothing else, mostly cause you aren't dividing it and sharing it with anyone else.
It is all yours.
Go enjoy it.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Go hunting with your dad, while he's still able. One day you'll wish you could. You have the rest of your life to hunt by yourself.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really like hunting alone, as I hunt better with a partner. But for many of the reasons you stated, I end up hunting alone the majority of my hunts. my thoughts:

1) Be familiar with your area- brings a home feeling to your hunt
2) Be connected with at least a spot, inreach, whatever
3) Not sure your time off situation, but long lonely hunts are tougher than shorter intense ones
4) Make sure people know where you're going, when you'll return as spots, inreaches, phones do fail or get lost
5) Remember that there are a lot of advantages to hunting solo- make your own plans, you always get first shot, draw odds are better, never have to wait on your buddy to get done with the meeting/anniversary/birthday/ he can't miss or the million other reasons he gives you for making you late

I have hunted alone 90% of the time since moving back to CO in 2002. I use HAM radio to talk back to the family nightly as most areas I am in do not have cell coverage but through repeater linking in the area I have good radio coverage at night. I would use one of the newer technologies like Inreach if in an area that did not support my traditional coms with the family. Safety is my big deal. Had an issue three years ago where due to sudden onset of complications from cancer treatments 6 months earlier, I almost died while antelope hunting. Being an idiot, I toughed out an uncomfortable night and came home the next morning (after killing an antelope at daybreak) and went to the ER about 4 hours later. That's a whole story by itself.....

I always leave a map and GPS coordinates (UTM and L/L) on the home fridge when I leave of where I plan on camping and where the truck will be (if different) At night I usually tell my wife "tomorrow I will hunt _____ direction/distance from camp." In camp I usually have a copy of the map with notes on it where I am hunting on the camp table or inside my sleeping bag . I have had buddies come up to help me pack out critters and once they get to camp they find the notes with the UTM of the kill or directions on where to find me from camp. I know my wife's map reading skills and would never expect her to find me, but something she can easily email/fax/text to a buddy or local search and rescue group is what I aim for.

We have a rule of "hour after dark" for a check-in time and on the hour after that if contact is not made. If for some reason she does not hear from me by morning she is to send help. Have not had to test that yet but that is the plan. Some areas have marginal cell coverage so that makes things easier but the HAM radio is my standby and I have contacted HAM radio groups is areas distant from home and they have been happy to relay information back to my wife via cell phone when I check in with them at night.

To keep occupied I keep a couple of Audible books on my cell phone and listen to those during the day and evenings. Usually pack a paperback and/or the Bible with me also. A simple notepad and pencil has helped pass many hours at night writing ideas for books, articles, lists of to-do's, etc. Like somebody mentioned being alone you learn a lot about yourself. Embrace it. Use the time to better yourself. Be safe.

xziang

WKR
Make sure the have the ability to track and view your movements on the delorme web page. They can see your progress along with where you are going to and were.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
I’ll echo almost all the safety tips left already on giving accurate information on where you plan to be and using technology to have some sort of communication.

Hunting solo is easier, IMO, because of logistics. Start with short hunts as the the longer the trip the easier it is to talk yourself off the mountain. Plan 2-3 days at first and as you get more comfortable with the process move out. Personally, I cannot do the long 7-10 days trips solo. Love the idea of also hunting the whole season...Instead of trying to pluck the magical 10 days on the calendar. More miles on the truck, but love the flexibility.

Solo makes me more disciplined in my glassing and moving around. Because I cannot stand to be idle when solo I find every opportunity to get under glass and find the critters. The tough part is at camp. I bring a Kindle or device to listen to Podcasts. Keeps me entertained and not just thinking of unattended events/tasks that await me in the real world. If your really lucky, hopefully your camped next to a Elk rutting hotspot and the sounds of night bugling will keep you up all night.

Another advantage to shorter trips is that you can work around a possible longer trip or other trips with family and friends. As someone else mentioned, you have the rest of your life to hunt solo, but spending time afield with family is priceless. Personal opinion.

The biggest disadvantage is meat processing and packing out. Have a plan and know your limitations. Going solo can get you backcountry quick but always ask yourself if can you get that harvested animal out. Never in my life do I want a buddy to share the woods with when a Bull elk is sitting at me feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
In term of of hunting alone, the biggest things for my wife and I were getting an inreach and dispelling a lot of the fiction surrounding the dangers of the backcountry and hunting alone. Obviously there are inherent risks and danger with hunting the backcountry, and especially solo trips, however I think MUCH of it is misunderstood and blown out of proportion. Looking at things such as the actual rate of bear attacks, missing hikers, etc and comparing that with the risk of driving and daily activities really helps bring down the anxiety. Looking at these rates, its almost safer to to solo hunting then driving through some of the intersections close by our house.

Owenst7

WKR
I think starting out with some weekend-weeklong backpacking trips is a good way to get used to being alone and get your family used to the idea. Get them a map and draw your expected route with enough detail that it would help search and rescue. I do this even now with an emergency contact or two (usually my girlfriend or whomever would first realize I had not returned).

I also share my location on my phone with a few people. Even in very remote areas of NV/CA, I usually get a blip of reception at some point during the day when I crest a high ridge or something. My girlfriend says it's really cool to see my progress, and it saves me from needing to text her all the time to let her know I'm alive and that my route may have changed. Most of what I do is off/no trail and doubles as scouting for hunts, so it's difficult to have a set plan.

I also text her exactly where I'm parking my truck. Knowing that I average 2mph and do 8-14 miles/day, along with getting my GPS location periodically pretty much narrows a search down to a reasonable area.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok so I am turning the big 6-0 this year. I don't know if this is sage advice or just ramblings of a curmudgeon.

My take: I am in sales so after a year of dealing with all sorts of people and the constant barrage of music, TV news, entertainment overload, yada yada, I am ready for some soul healing solitude. The last thing I want is a podcast in my ear. Relish in the hunt and the wilderness with all its sights, sounds, and wonder. Learn to become your own best friend. It typically takes a few days to decompress and then the time just flows along. By the last day I am ready to weep at the thought of going back to civilization.
Being alone is a very valuable life skill. At some point we all will likely have to deal with it so why not practice now.

Solitude and the wilderness is great... not like I have ear buds in all the time. But a couple days into everything when I get bored mid day or start tripping myself out its super super nice to hear someone else talk. Previously if I got tripped out and went back out to the trail head seemed like all I needed was to talk with someone, then I was ready to be back in. Everyone is different, and things have definitely changed for me over the last few years being alone a lot to where I don't really need the whole electronics thing but it is nice. You've been doing it a long time so it doesn't seem like a big deal, but someone headed out for their very first solo trip is going to need some vises.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Go hunting with your dad, while he's still able. One day you'll wish you could. You have the rest of your life to hunt by yourself.

This is a very good point. I have allotted at least a couple weekends every year to go with my dad. Just to be with him.