Venting/hunting alone question

JP100

WKR
How you deal with your time away from your family is only a thing you and them/her can sort out.

For me hunting is my job, so I need that time to pay bills etc.

But when Im not guiding my hunting is usually solo. This is my time. My relax, my therapy, my rest.
If your not comfortable being alone trying to find someone with the same morals/ethics/drive etc can be hard.
I prefer being alone most of the time I am hunting as I have no else to blame or rely on or try to keep up with.
Everything that happens good and bad are my own decisions.

Couldnt think of anything worse than a podcast in my ears haha. The best sound sometimes is silence!

Embrace the silence.

If you get bored, lonely, or despair, get out of your tent even if it's raining or out of the woods and get a view and look at the sky if it's night or look at a mountain if it's daytime and just appreciate how big of a place you're in and how small you are and think about how fortunate you are to experience that on your own.

Listen to your own inner voice. Do what it tells you is right for your family and right for you.

Not everyone or every family is going to be okay with a solo hunt in the backcountry. In my mind there's no benefit to overriding their wishes and worries. They'll not be happy for you to be doing what you like. And certainly you've got to know your own mind, skills, tolerances and such. Some guys are not happy on extended solo hunts, and that's not a right/wrong - weak/strong thing. I'd say a true small minority of today's hunters are able to hunt solo in wilderness and remain both safe and content while doing it. I would never recommend it for someone who hasn't previously shown (himself) an actual preference for solitude on an extended basis. Getting way out there and then discovering you're unhappy with it is not fun at all.

I've done extended solo hunting in Alaska, up to 15 days alone. I've contended with huge storms, snow, big bears, pilot/plane issues and such. It's all part of going it alone. So is trophy care and meat recovery. Then there's the question of how you feel about being alone with just your thoughts for company. If you think you need tunes, downloads, podcasts and books to get you through, then I'll submit you aren't really gong to enjoy wilderness solitude. You'd go to a concert to enjoy the music, right? Go to the mountains to enjoy exactly that; mountains. If you do happen to be the type to make it work, you'll do...see...feel...and experience what very few men ever do in their lives. You'll be a different man for it, too.

LaVpaHol.jpg

If you think you need tunes, downloads, podcasts and books to get you through, then I'll submit you aren't really gong to enjoy wilderness solitude. You'd go to a concert to enjoy the music, right? Go to the mountains to enjoy exactly that; mountains. If you do happen to be the type to make it work, you'll do...see...feel...and experience what very few men ever do in their lives.

Well stated

BluMtn

WKR
At 60 I have spent the majority of my life doing things alone. I grew up farming and driving tractor all day alone, when we sold the farm I became a road mechanic working by myself, when I quit working the road I returned to farming helping a freind farm again. I have spent much time in the mountains alone. I use to elk hunt with my dad on opening weekend until he passed away 5 yrs ago. My son hunts with me when he can, but most of the time I spend time alone in the mountains. Part of the reason is I am ADD when it comes to being in the mountains, I have to see what is in the next drainage or over that next ridge. I have had people want to hunt with me but usually after one year they never ask again. I love to walk. Some people have to have companionship, they have to be able to interact with somebody or something. I can spend all day out in the mountains or in the fields and enjoy the solitude and the wonder of all the God has created. It does drive my wife crazy, but I leave very detailed instructions on where I will be and I will text her that I am still alive.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
First thing you need to ask yourself is are you a person who can go out and do things with out the comfort of others? Fishing, Hunting, going out to dinner, seeing a movie etc. If the answer is NO, then I would say your going to have a very hard time making it.

So here is my advice, if you think you're tough minded and you set your mind to it, be prepared to for the devil on your shoulder to talk you out of everything, he will be relentless in his effort to break you. Thats to far, to steep, its to cold, its to wet, you're to tired, it will go on and on. The excuses will build and it will be up to you to not cave in. On the other hand don't let him make you feel like you're entirely unstoppable, remember you are alone and every action you take can put you into a dangerous position, so you have to use your head. When I was down I would simply start to think about all of the planning, training, you have 7 days, you sacrificed your family time, DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Before you leave for your trip make sure all of your affairs are in order with your family and work, nothing will drag you down faster then thinking about a project left unattended to.

As others have said a Delorme is an ABSOLUTE MUST, it will put your mind as well as others to ease knowing they can reach out and at least track you. It was cool to have messages from friends and family saying holy crap I can't believe where you are right now!!! Where I was in Idaho, this past September when I was up high on a glassing knob I always checked to see if I had cell service, when I did I checked the weather, news, and made calls to loved ones. This was critical in keeping my mind straight, knowing that the folks back home had some connection to me.

STAY BUSY!!!!! I spent the entire day hunting and glassing and would normally be a good 3 -5 miles away from my spike camp, by the time I got back I fired up a mountain house, spent some time looking at onyx maps, planned the next days loop, and passed the hell out. Taking Advil PMs help in dealing with any soreness and going to sleep. I brought a journal to write stuff down, but didn't really keep up with it.

Know your limits, use your head, stay positive, be safe, and have FUN!!!! Going solo taught me alot about myself, I realized that I was not as tough as I thought I was, but was able to complete my goals. Needless to say if things work out with the family and house this year I will be going back, and it will only be better!!!!!!!

Good luck I hope you make it out, nothing worst then not living your life waiting on others to join!

lab-roamer

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good points here, and if she needs to hear your voice SAT phones can be rented pretty cheaply.

Its been said it can be harder to find a good hunting partner than a good wife. With that said, somebody needs to start a E-Harmony Hunting Partner Finder

ChrisS

WKR
... My preference now is to hunt alone. I will share a camp ...
I think these are two different things: day hunting alone and hunting the backcountry alone for several days/week+ with a solo camp.

I think the latter is much more difficult for most people.

Lots of good points here, and if she needs to hear your voice SAT phones can be rented pretty cheaply.

I'm not at all ashamed to say it: If my wife isn't on board with my solo plan then I'm not doing it. I would never override her wishes or ignore her concerns. It's just not worth it to me to have a wife or family member living in fear for that time I'm away.

I personally don't have a use for the InReach. All that tracking/text msg/multifunction stuff takes away from the wilderness experience for me. I carry 2 devices: 1) Dedicated PLB which will get me rescued if needed. It's always in my pack and requires nothing of me. 2) Satellite phone. No amount of texting and tracking will take the place of a short midday or evening phone call. My wife wants to hear my voice and know from that whether things are good with me. We can and do send texts occasionally, but voice contact is her bridge to knowing I'm okay and she can sleep well.

I go to the mountains on solo hunts to escape as much technology as possible. I have it in my gear, but many days I never push a single button or see a screen. I don't use a GPS. I eat twigs and chase bears when I get bored....lol.

boom

WKR
i dont love hunting solo.

it's stupid, but i've gotten horribly lost when i was younger and just starting out with a .22. i think it stuck with me.

i hunt way harder with a partner. even a lazy one. it's all mental. i know.

two years ago, i did AZ couse deer solo. it was okay. i know the land like the back of my hand. i saw some awesome animals..made some decent but fruitless stalks. i survived and lessened the mental stress, but i did miss that opportunity to look at someone i enjoy being with and saying, "wow, did you see that?!"

frankrb3

WKR
I have been much more successful when hunting alone. In fact when I do hunt with my buddies we almost always split up at some point to hunt different areas alone. I will say though, good hunting buddies are hard to replace and I believe most people hunt to enjoy time with friends and family and maybe have some success.

gelton

WKR
I actually love hunting solo and as Kevin has pointed out - no podcasts, no music and no distractions just the mountains and me. Besides, I cant keep my batteries charged long enough if I listen to that stuff.

It reminds me of the intro to solo hunter which goes something like - hungry - eat food, tired - go to sleep, cold - make fire. You dont have to ask anyone if they want to cook something, take a nap, or if they want to make a fire, or which direction they plan on heading...you do you...which is a very rewarding experience. I have done 14 days alone and it was great.

Imagine us solo hunter out of staters that drive 18+ hours to a different state to hunt and how our wives and family feels. Is it dangerous - sure it is, but so is driving home from work everyday. I had a pretty good scare one time climbing through dense deadfall - twisted my ankle and had a bad fall. Deadfall with limbs still attached makes for a good way to impale oneself. Scared the shit outta me.

But with todays technology, not having a hunting partner shouldnt keep you at home. I dont always go solo but the only hunting partner I can count on is a guy I met at the trailhead as I was leaving a solo hunt, he was arriving for a solo hunt and came all the way from North Carolina...we have hunted together twice since. So I am not opposed to hunting with partners but if the choice is go solo or not at all I will choose solo every time.

Randle

WKR
Last edited:
Sounds to me like you need to cultivate some new friendships. I love being alone - the solitude of hunting is something I truly enjoy; but it is a LOT of fun to share the experience with another hunting buddy. Lots of ways to find a partner. Plenty of folks here on Rokslide that live on the flatland that would love to learn from you and would make good partners.

I used to pack a paperback (that’s a book that’s printed on paper and that you had to physically turn the pages, for you young guys! Lol) or two for every hunt - back in the pre-smartphone days. Music, podcasts, even movies at night. All these can be enjoyed on your smartphone these days, even without service. There’s plenty of ways to keep yourself entertained until you find a new buddy.

FWIW - I would NEVER totally ditch my hunting buddy no matter what other hunting opportunity arose. Kind of goes against the meaning of “buddy” or “friend” in my book. My partners ARE family in my book. They’re all “Uncle this” and “Aunt that” to our kids. Just sayin.

Go hunting with your dad, while he's still able. One day you'll wish you could. You have the rest of your life to hunt by yourself.

^^THIS^^ is some incredibly sage advice! I’d trade another hunt or two with my dad for every other hunt I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
Something that may or may not apply with your father-he may just not be that in to it anymore and your time with him may better be spent doing something else, and you can still go hunt where you want. It took me a few years to realize that my dad was burned out on roughing it and rarely even wants to sleep in a camper anymore. Our relationship improved when I realized that and quit (unknowingly) pressuring him to go. I enjoy my time with him a lot more having dinner at a brewery and talking about our careers or music or something, and I go satisfy my wanderlust alone or with a few people of like mind.

lkwoolsey

WKR
I doubt I'll add anything new that hasn't already been said on here. Yeah, definitely spend some time hunting with your dad (you already know that though.)
I hunt by myself quite often, sometimes for a week at a time. Now, my wife is use to me being out of communication for very long periods (I spent time overseas and even in the US on training events we never had any communication.) so it's a bit easier on her, but I just set a very solid plan, show her on the map exactly where I am going to be (the drainages I'll be hunting, campsites etc, at least a basic idea.) I will usually leave a written plan, and will text as often as I can.
I personally don't mess with podcasts or anything, as I enjoy the quiet. Sometimes I'll bring a book, but that's about it.
Being alone in the mountains helps me mellow out and refocus so when I come out I can be a decent (I think) human again. You just have to try it on shorter hunts and see how you like it, and gradually increase the lengths of your hunts alone. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Beendare

WKR
You learn a lot about yourself by hunting solo.

It helps you develop good woodsman skills and is easier to concentrate on hunting skills and everything that goes along with it.

I usually bring my camera with me, if you're not seeing any animals, or if they're not what you're looking for....start shooting em with a lens. The times I hunt alone get started early and end late....mid day is usually spent on a shady side hill enjoying the scenery or taking a nap. I use to hunt solo all the time, I have type 1 diabetes and a worried wife, so I seldom go solo anymore. But when I do it's for the day only. Continue reaching out to the group with what tags you have and see if anyone has the same tag, then arrange a weekend base camp hunt. You all camp together, but then hunt solo or together...when someone kills, everyone helps out...great way to start building relationships and possible hunting buddies!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daubsnu1

FNG
I love hunting alone, and do it whenever I can.

Work @ University and have 17 people reporting to me, serving 6,000+ students. Average around 250+ e-mails per day. Hunting and fishing is my "away time" to decompress, reconnect with nature, cleanse my soul, etc. Most don't understand the want / need to hunt alone...until I tell them what my day job is like. Then they get it.

But my hunts are not in the mountains. I day-hunt and make it back to the hotel every night. Even then, the wife expressed her concerns about me being 5-7 miles from the truck from dawn until dusk.

The InReach and my Garmin Rino are with me each and every time I leave the truck. No exceptions.

I am a terribly impatient man, and have a hard time sitting in one place for extended period of time. Have a friend in Missouri who invites me down to hunt whitetails every year. But I just cannot do it. Sitting in tree stand drives me nuts. That's why I head to the Sandhills to spot-and-stalk Mule deer.

Last season I brought my iTouch and listened to audio books while sitting and glassing from a hill top. Happy to report I sat there from dawn until dusk(!). I will certainly be bringing the audio books in the future.

I like to hunt alone because it's all on me. I make all the decisions, I make the spot...plan the stalk, execute the plan. If all goes well, then I get to pack out the animal. Very rewarding experience.

I even like to waterfowl hunt alone. Same sense of accomplishment.

Contrast that to the weekends when I gather with college buddies to chase ducks. Great stories, lots of adult beverages, but we always disagree on how to set decoys, how to camouflage the blind, how to call the fowl, when to "make the call" and shoot, etc. For that one weekend a year, I'm happy to see my buddies and compromise. But for the remainder of my hunts, I prefer to do it alone.

Unless my Dad and/or Brother can go. Always hunt with family.

Kilboars

WKR
As mentioned above hunting alone is just another cool experience.. I always have a great book with me if I ever get the down time. With that said I'm with hunting by myself if I need to but I'm always searching for new people at local shoots to hunt with that hunt like I do and that has worked out well so don't stop looking for new hunting partners because as you can hear here, their a lot of guys in the same boat.