How many days in the field per year do you get?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just curious how many days you guys and gals get in the field per year, between hunting and fishing and scouting and whatever other outdoor activity you think qualifies.

Myself I get between 50 and 70 usually depending on how my other responsibilities fall. I still feel like I don't get enough time out there, but is it ever really enough?

Live2hunt custom shelters

from last sept to January I got in 50 days where at some point or another during the day I was roaming the woods with a gun and the intent to kill something , one of the benefits to working from a home that butts up against us forest service land. solid days where I wake up ready to hunt until dark are much fewer probably closer to half that.

I would venture that I spent right around 55 days out last year, all either hunting or scouting. That’s probably more than I’ll get on a normal year but I drew my first AZ elk tag and scouted a ton to make it worthwhile. Thankfully the wife was understanding! On the contrary she decided she wants to get into hunting now. Apparently being put face to face with a screaming bull elk changes a person :) If for no other reason last year year was a great one.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I spent 127 days backpacked in this last year not counting any day trips or pack hikes... luckily I have a lovely wife that understands she is a mountain widow!

I am blessed to live in a state (Utah) where I can hunt Turkeys in April, archery hunt elk in Aug, run over to Idaho and archery hunt elk in Sept, come back to Ut and deer hunt 2 hunts, 1 mine, 1 the wifes, then cow elk tag, then head to AZ in Dec and otc archery deer and get another az archery otc tag for Jan and then a another turkey hunt in Ut for Jan, and then before you know it, its april and time to turkey hunt again. I quit counting in days now its just months- 6 to 7 depending how quickly I tag out. It is usually between 100 and 150 days.

neverquit

WKR
I keep a journal of hunting trips. Not counting fishing scouting range days i average 40-50 days hunting a year

amp713

WKR
Last 2 years not as many, job changes, baby born, etc.... still got 40+. 4 or 5 years ago I was over 100 a year easily. Should be back to that this year and from now on

Last edited:

willidru

WKR
Man you guys are crushing mountain time I don't think I'm even close, probably why I constantly feel like I need more time in the field.

10 days mule deer
3 days blacktail
3 day hunts for upland
15 days duck hunting
4 days popping abs and shooting fish
2 days on turkeys

Shit that's only 37 days, thanks for making me realize I need to prioritize.

Does work count? If so, I’ve got nearly 200-250 days in the woods this past two years. I only work seasonally, in the summer so I am able to basically hunt from August to March.

slick

WKR
Not counting other recreation. Strictly hunting/scouting

This year was low to mid 50s
Some of that is hunting for me or helping friends without a tag in my pocket.

Add other recreational activities and that jumps high rather quick. I realize how fortunate I am though- young, single, with a dog.

Last edited:

DavePwns

WKR
🤣 this thread... This question is like asking farmers who has the largest property, asking teenage boys who has the fastest car, and asking a runner their mile time. Most people will likely answer 15-45%(I'm obviously making these numbers up) more than reality and the people who aren't close to the impressive answers will likely feel inadequate or sub par. Personally I don't think it's the number of days that matter, it's the experiences you had that matter. For some people getting 10 days a year would be an amazing opportunity due to their schedule / duties / location / family / disability, while other people with more opportunities would consider 10 days in the field a year a failure.

Just my 2¢

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

This thread makes me think of quantity vs quality. I moved to Utah, well this year will be 7 years now. When in WI I hunted way more. I had years with 100 days easily between small game, birds, and deer. Its so easy to hunt before or after work.

Now here in S. UT that is not the case. Birds are almost out of the question as well as small game. Very limited opportunities. And there is not much running out during the week because it can take me hours just to get to my hunting spot. I probably average 8-12 days local and 10-15 days out of state plus camping/fishing trips so maybe 10-15 more.

That said my time in the mountains is so much more rewarding than my time in a tree stand back in WI. I would not trade a week in the mountains for an entire white tail season in WI.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
🤣 this thread... This question is like asking farmers who has the largest property, asking teenage boys who has the fastest car, and asking a runner their mile time. Most people will likely answer 15-45%(I'm obviously making these numbers up) more than reality and the people who aren't close to the impressive answers will likely feel inadequate or sub par. Personally I don't think it's the number of days that matter, it's the experiences you had that matter. For some people getting 10 days a year would be an amazing opportunity due to their schedule / duties / location / family / disability, while other people with more opportunities would consider 10 days in the field a year a failure.

Just my 2¢

Well obviously this is all anecdotal and some degree of personal integrity will have to be assumed, of course if fellas wish to use this thread as a ruler nobody can stop them.

Live2hunt custom shelters

�� this thread... This question is like asking farmers who has the largest property, asking teenage boys who has the fastest car, and asking a runner their mile time. Most people will likely answer 15-45%(I'm obviously making these numbers up) more than reality and the people who aren't close to the impressive answers will likely feel inadequate or sub par. Personally I don't think it's the number of days that matter, it's the experiences you had that matter. For some people getting 10 days a year would be an amazing opportunity due to their schedule / duties / location / family / disability, while other people with more opportunities would consider 10 days in the field a year a failure.

Just my 2¢

What matters is getting out when you can. I cut my days in the field by over 50% moving out west but I wouldn't go back for anything. We also have to think of our family commitments. My dad hunted too much. I think it was a contributing factor to my parents divorce. Years later my parents were re-married as my dad realized family was more important, and my mom loved him enough to take him back. Now he hunts a fair amount and my mom supports his hobby. Its all a balance.

To add, last year my mom bought him a new bow for fathers day. He also tried telling me when he retired, which was in Dec., he told my mom he would quit hunting. My mom laughed and TOLD HIM he is going hunting with his boys.

I usually spend 30-35 days hunting now that I no longer guide hunts. That includes spring bear and turkeys, and fall archery and rifle. If fishing is entered into the equation, then it's way more. I can fish almost every day if I want, and some days don't go because I just simply can't decide where to go. I pick my son up from school and take him fishing 3 or 4 days a week, and fish at 5:30-7AM in the summer before work. Most summer scouting trips for big game involve fishing on the way to and from our selected scouting spot. I love to hunt, but fishing is an activity that my entire family can be part of. So I guess I probably spend more days fishing than most, but less time hunting unless I draw something special or I have tabs on a smoker buck or bull.