Run-n-Gun Treestand Help

I’m looking for a lightweight climbing stand that I can strap to my stoneglaicer. Right now I have a summit. It’s really comfortable when I get it set up but it’s just to cumbersome and heavy to be a run and gun style stand. I’ve got a lightweight millennium hang on but by the time you add a minimum of four climbing sticks, linesman’s rope, and safety rope the weight savings just aren’t there. Plus they take a lot longer to put up and take down. I can also get a lot higher in a tree with my climber. Any recommendations???

wesfromky

WKR
Hmmmm. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted out of an aid climbing harness while standing on a platform made from a hang on seat. Sticks to get up initially, but often left a fixed line to jug back up, or paracord to pull my fixed line back up. This year I am going to work on having more fixed lines up and using a sling shot + braid + paracord to get my static line up. Also, going to try to use my wild edge stepp ladders a bit more.

Also, since you are standing, 2-3 sticks plus the platform can get you kinda high in the tree for not a lot of weight.

oldgoat

WKR
I like my Lone Wolf Hand Climber, I have an X stand sit and climb, but it wasn't near as stable and doesn't fold down near as well!

ethan

WKR
I haven’t used a saddle or the x stands but I’ve been using a LW hand climber for 17 years and for me, it’s the best stand I’ve ever used.

OP
C
I’ve never used a hand climber. Are they easier or harder to climb with than a sit and climb?

oldgoat

WKR
I’ve never used a hand climber. Are they easier or harder to climb with than a sit and climb?

I think it's easier, I'm 53 and decent shape, if you can support your body with your forearms you can use one. Lots of videos on YouTube, I carry two screw in steps in my pack cause the cottonwoods I climb can be a little over large to start the climber low enough to step into from the ground. This is pretty much how I have mine set up:. Ways to Upgrade and Set Up a Lone Wolf Climber - YouTube

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
The Lone Wolf Assault with four sticks has worked well for me. For a climber I am partial to the Lone Wolf Sit and Climb. There is a company called XPO or XOP that is very similar and worth looking into.

This ^^^
Not as light as the ultra light versions now but has all the right features.
I've used mine from Illinois to NM.
Easy adjustment when at height.
Quite straps when climbing.
Plenty stout.
Comfortable for long periods.
Folds into a nice tight package.
btw always have a safety belt.

R

I switched to a lone wolf hand climber 3 years ago. It's one piece of gear that if it was lost or stolen I wouldn't think twice to go buy another. It will fit right in the load shelf on your stone glacier.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Back when I was going in lightweight, I was using an Ol' Man lock on and 7 screw in steps. That got my platform to 20'. I could put on up as fast as a climber and quietly, too.

I've since bought a Lone Wolf lock on and 3 sticks. I much prefer the screw in steps to the sticks, though.

Brendan

WKR
If you have straight trees without branches - Lone Wolf Assault Hand Climber. (15 lbs).

If you don't have trees that work with a climber - Lone Wolf Assault Hang on and climbing sticks.

I use both - the hang on and sticks takes a little more work to get set up and up a tree, is a little heavier and bulkier, but gives you more flexibility which tree you select.

If you don't mind a little extra weight, you can get the normal climber/hang on instead of the assault for a slightly larger platform.

I can attach both to my Kifaru easily, with the advantage going to the hand climber.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I run an alpha II hang on and carry four sticks. With an aider on 1 and get as high as I care to go. I don’t always put all four up depending on shooting windows. It’s nice for the area I hunt as I can get up some gnarly trees. I really want a hand climber but have been buying other stuff lately instead.

OP
C
I think it's easier, I'm 53 and decent shape, if you can support your body with your forearms you can use one. Lots of videos on YouTube, I carry two screw in steps in my pack cause the cottonwoods I climb can be a little over large to start the climber low enough to step into from the ground. This is pretty much how I have mine set up:. Ways to Upgrade and Set Up a Lone Wolf Climber - YouTube

Thank you!

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Lone wolf assault w/4 climbing sticks. I learned years ago that I was sick and tired looking for the perfect tree to climb into with a climber instead of the perfect spot. The sticks take a little more effort but once you have a system it's cake, now I can position my self where I need to be in any type of tree, personally the More branches the better!

Tree saddle for me. The AeroHunter Kestrel to be specific. My full setup to climb and hang from the tree is right at 12lbs. The saddle I wear around my waist while walking in so I don’t even feel that weight. I love the system and it’s more comfy to me than any lock on I’ve used.