Run-n-Gun Treestand Help

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It’s really comfortable when I get it set up but it’s just to cumbersome and heavy to be a run and gun style stand.

A "run and gun style" tree stand? What exactly does that mean? I'm having trouble understanding "run and gun" and "tree stand" in the same sentence.:confused:

OP
C
A "run and gun style" tree stand? What exactly does that mean? I'm having trouble understanding "run and gun" and "tree stand" in the same sentence.:confused:

It basically means a lightweight, packable, and easily setup treestand. I hunt in multiple areas around my state as well as other states. A lot of these places I haven’t ever hunted before which means I often find myself needing to move my stand. Might be a better term out there but that’s just what I call it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
Lone wolf assault w/4 climbing sticks. I learned years ago that I was sick and tired looking for the perfect tree to climb into with a climber instead of the perfect spot. The sticks take a little more effort but once you have a system it's cake, now I can position my self where I need to be in any type of tree, personally the More branches the better!

I use an older model loggy bayou that muddy apparently copied that weighs about 10 pounds and 4 hawk sticks for the exact same reason as above. It is reasonable in weight and I have a pretty good system for climbing so can go up once and hunt. I hunt a lot of stuff that has been cut in the last few years so the options for good climber trees is fairly limited and finding a good one where you need it to be seldom seems to happen.

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
If you have straight trees without branches - Lone Wolf Assault Hand Climber. (15 lbs).

If you don't have trees that work with a climber - Lone Wolf Assault Hang on and climbing sticks.

I use both - the hang on and sticks takes a little more work to get set up and up a tree, is a little heavier and bulkier, but gives you more flexibility which tree you select.

If you don't mind a little extra weight, you can get the normal climber/hang on instead of the assault for a slightly larger platform.

I can attach both to my Kifaru easily, with the advantage going to the hand climber.

the above, works great for me.

elkyinzer

WKR
I have a saddle on order to see what it's all about. You really can't get any lighter/less bulky by eliminating the treestand. There are several sub-10 pound treestands on the market. I haven't spent significant time in my saddle yet, but thinking I'll go with the stand for all day sits and saddle for a lot of evening/morning sits.

Look into some mods to make your gear lighter. Aiders/etriers/rope ladders are one that I consider a practical necessity unless you enjoy carrying a bunch of heavy crap around.

I have Hawk Helium sticks. They aren't the lightest on the market but fold the most compact. To me, bulk is just about universally worse than pure weight in the woods. I see guys trying to cut weight like it's the devil but bulk is the killer to me. Anyway I cut my sticks down from 30", 3 step to 22", 2 step. 3 sticks + aiders can get me to roughly 20 feet if I really stretch it.

There is also the one-stick method to look into. You can climb with 1 stick and a rock harness. To me it is a bit more hassle, noise and movement than it's worth, but it is an option.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
It basically means a lightweight, packable, and easily setup treestand. I hunt in multiple areas around my state as well as other states. A lot of these places I haven’t ever hunted before which means I often find myself needing to move my stand. Might be a better term out there but that’s just what I call it.

This is exactly why I run the stand and sticks. I would like a hand climber for some of the areas that I know have good trees just to be a little lighter but when going in blind to a completely new spot it’s always a hang on and sticks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Gotcha. I was picturing some guy running through the woods, throwing up a stand, sitting there for 5 minutes and then running off to another tree and doing the same all day. That's the only way I could ever do a tree stand hunt. But probably wouldn't be very effective for actually killing anything.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone using an Eberlestock mainframe to carry their climber with the bat wings for their day gear? Seems like it would be a good system for that but have no experience with the frame myself. I can’t use the torture device straps for another year on my summit.

I run a LW Alpha and 5 muddy sticks. Not the lightest but with my kifaru frame it really isnt bad. About the farthest i can get from a road is a little over a mile and its mostly flat so not a big deal for me. Very comfortable, and more importantly i can get in any tree that my straps fit around. I had a hand climber and just didnt use it enough so i sold it.

ethan

WKR
I’ve never used a hand climber. Are they easier or harder to climb with than a sit and climb?

I honestly don’t think it’s any harder to climb with. All your weight is on your forearms so you are not really in a strained position. Just takes a course ke minutes of practice and you’ll have it figured out!

NorthT

FNG
Saddle is way to go for run and gun. I use 2 lw sticks, double aider on bottom, single on second. Easy to get 15-16 ft which isn't that high but works great in my area. Late season just add another stick. Have a Kestrel on the way. Having been using modified trophyline for last few years. I have used hand climber, assault, alpha with sticks. I also think game has a harder time picking you off in a saddle vs treestand as well. I think at the angle leaning back you might appear to be a limb or something to them.