Map Dilemma

Beendare

WKR
Doing some Spring cleaning around the household and my home office dumping old binders, brochures, product catalogs---all stuff that can be easily found online now.

So then i get to one of my map drawers.....I have another drawer in a small filing cabinet too.
40 years of maps.jpg

40 years of topos, USGS and forest maps. There must be over $1,000 in maps in there easy....I hate to even think about it.

I will probably keep the forest maps...and some others just for old times sake.....but with GE and the GAIA app- this stuff is pretty much obsolete.

Isn't that like saying that with your Kindle, iPad, and the like, that you don't need to keep any real books? While I love the convenience of online maps/mapping, there's a degree of "intimacy" and reverence associated with paper maps, the smells and feel of taking them out and unfolding them, almost like opening a gift every time.

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
Or some of Colorado too
Yeah, thats the other thing.... do i really want a bunch of strangers knowing where I’ve shot a couple hundred animals? Anchorages in the Ak islands, camp spots, crummy areas, etc. Ugh, no.

I did send a Colo hunt buddy a White River NF map from 1979- I should be getting an interesting phone call in three or four days when he sees that

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
Isn't that like saying that with your Kindle, iPad, and the like, that you don't need to keep any real books? While I love the convenience of online maps/mapping, there's a degree of "intimacy" and reverence associated with paper maps, the smells and feel of taking them out and unfolding them, almost like opening a gift every time.
Good comment- but Ive got piles of this stuff I havent looked at way past my 5 year rule.

I suppose i could do as i did with many of my books- loan them out and then never get them back.....

If you had any old ones from Colorado or Montana that you are going to get rid of I would pay postage for them.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
LOL, gonna be some guys checking your trash and recycle now. Might want to burn them or shred them!! :)

Btaylor

WKR
Another option would be to do some cut downs and have them framed. Maybe add some kill or just hunt pics in with cut downs. Would make a really cool addition to a man cave and a way to preserve your hunt history.

I have always had a thing for paper maps. I enjoy having them around to help jog my memory of a specific trip. "see that spot where the lines are close together? That's where your dad almost met his end."

No great adventure planning session has ever been complete without the quick arm sweep of the kitchen table before rolling out a tattered and torn map.

I have hung a few from some road trip mountain bike destinations, but just because I'll probably never get back there. The hunting maps need to remain easily accessed.

I've really been using my phone as my primary, but I always have a map or sat image folded in my pocket. There's only so much you can see at one time on a phone and I like to see the big picture some times.

Blasphemy!

I'm a map guy, I'll never get rid of my maps. The first thing I do when I know I'm going to be hunting a new area is order maps.
I am the same way. In fact i was online ordering maps for colorado yesterday. I still love to throw a map out on the hood of a truck and plot an animals demise. That kind of stuff makes me happy.

I love my paper maps. Well plastic nowadays. Throwback to my USMC days. I am constantly looking at them, and much easier to throw a map out on the ground to plan a hunt then to huddle around a tablet.

Can't imagine ever getting rid of my maps...